Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French parliament debates burqa ban

French parliament debates burqa ban

Paris, France (CNN) -- The French parliament begins debate Tuesday on a bill that would ban women from wearing Islamic veils, such as the burqa, that fully cover the face and body.

A vote is not expected until next week, after which the measure, if passed, will go to the French Senate for a vote likely in the fall.

The French Council of Ministers approved the measure in May, saying veils that cover the face "cannot be tolerated in any public place." Their approval sent the bill to parliament.

The parliamentary debate starting Tuesday is the latest step in France's efforts to ban the burqa, niqab and other Muslim garments that cover a woman's face.

A panel of French lawmakers recommended a ban last year, and lawmakers unanimously passed a non-binding resolution in May calling the full-face veil contrary to the laws of the nation.

"Given the damage it produces on those rules which allow the life in community, ensure the dignity of the person and equality between sexes, this practice, even if it is voluntary, cannot be tolerated in any public place," the French government said when it sent the measure to parliament in May.

The bill envisions a fine of 150 euros ($190) and/or a citizenship course as punishment for wearing a face-covering veil.

Forcing a woman to wear a niqab or a burqa would be punishable by a year in prison or a 15,000-euro ($19,000) fine, the government said, calling it "a new form of enslavement that the republic cannot accept on its soil."

The measure would take effect six months after passage, giving authorities time to try to persuade women who veil themselves voluntarily to stop.

The French Council of State has warned that the ban could be incompatible with international human rights law and the country's own constitution. The council advises on laws, but the government is not required to follow its recommendations.

Amnesty International urged French lawmakers in May not to approve the ban.

"A complete ban on the covering of the face would violate the rights to freedom of expression and religion of those women who wear the burqa or the niqab in public as an expression of their identity or beliefs," said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International's expert on discrimination in Europe.

Belgium's lower house of parliament passed a similar ban in April.

If that bill is approved by the upper house and signed into law, it will be the first national ban in Europe on the burqa, a full-body cover that includes a mesh over the face, and the niqab, a full-face veil that leaves an opening only for the eyes.

The hijab, which tightly covers the hair and neck but not the face, and the chador, which covers the body but not the face, apparently would not be banned by either law.

The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life estimates that France has about 3.5 million Muslims, or about 6 percent of the population.

France does not keep its own statistics on religious affiliation of the population, in keeping with its laws requiring the state to be strictly secular.

Link: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/eu...id=C2pqmX_ezRd

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post
    About time France grab their cojones!

^ bump

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ans-the-mullet

Iran bans the mullet

Islamic republic aims to free itself of 'decadent' western hairstyles

Imagine a country where a man with a ponytail could have it cut off by the cops, as could one with a mullet, or one whose hair was slathered in gel, fancifully spiked, or simply too long. Repeat offenders would face stiff fines, while their barber-accomplices would have their shops closed.

It may sound like paradise, especially if your own crazy-haired days are behind you. It's actually the Islamic Republic of Iran, whose cultural ministry has just unveiled (although that's perhaps not the most appropriate word in this context) a list of approved hairstyles in an attempt to free the country of "decadent" western cuts.

Jaleh Khodayar, who's in charge of the government- backed Modesty and Veil Festival, explains that the styles "are inspired by Iranians' complexion, culture and religion, and Islamic law".

It's not all good news for fans of the short back and sides, however: 1980s-style floppy fringes are acceptable, as are quiffs. And, worryingly, there seems to be a lamentable softening of Iran's hard line on goatees.

Jets Insider VIP
    That sucks....women in Burqa's turn me on. How bout Borgo start a thread of hot women in Burqa's.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    That sucks....women in Burqa's turn me on. How bout Borgo start a thread of hot women in Burqa's.
    Not me man! They creep me out. I went into a convenience store three days ago and saw two women in Burqa's inside. My initial reaction was "oh chit, this place is being robbed!" and then I realized that the ninjas were just fat Muslim women.

Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    Not me man! They creep me out. I went into a convenience store three days ago and saw two women in Burqa's inside. My initial reaction was "oh chit, this place is being robbed!" and then I realized that the ninjas were just fat Muslim women.
    That's cuz they is ugly burqa's. Personally, I prefer the Taliban burqa's:

Quote Originally Posted by RexRutha View Post
    That's cuz they is ugly burqa's. Personally, I prefer the Taliban burqa's:

That's Hot.

Any religious censorship is wrong. Just because the Islamic Republic of Iran bans hairstyles and pro-western dress does that mean the west should ban Islamic dress?

This just doesn't sit right with me and its not representative of a free country.

I think they should ban bra's.

It is simply another form of enslavement and a violation of freedom.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Foley11 View Post
    I think they should ban bra's.

It is simply another form of enslavement and a violation of freedom.
    awesome! except when the ladies get in their 40's.....

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser View Post
    Any religious censorship is wrong. Just because the Islamic Republic of Iran bans hairstyles and pro-western dress does that mean the west should ban Islamic dress?

This just doesn't sit right with me and its not representative of a free country.
    Should the other Muslim traditions also be allowed to be honored due to the "religion" factor? Stoning, hand chopping, women discriminations, etc?

Where does the line get drawn?

Should we also let the "kill the infidels" muslim teachings stand also?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Should the other Muslim traditions also be allowed to be honored due to the "religion" factor? Stoning, hand chopping, women discriminations, etc?

lets start with teaching them to wash the burqa's before putting them on then tackle the tough stuff....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    lets start with teaching them to wash the burqa's before putting them on then tackle the tough stuff....

They can only use laundry detergent under certain parameters and guidelines laid down by Islamic law.
    We need to respect the tradition.

Ha! Okay buddy...

I'm pretty sure the line doesn't need to be drawn at CLOTHING.
    Last edited by Greaser; 07-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Greaser View Post
    Ha! Okay buddy...

I'm pretty sure the line doesn't need to be drawn at CLOTHING.
    Thats just the thing though my friend.....

you start allowing 1 thing, then another, then another, and next thing you know it, your next door neighbor is getting 35 lashes for watching American Idol.

Nip it in the bud now. If you dont want to be a part of the society in which you choose to live in, then its better off for you to stay where your "religion" is greater accepted.

Sounds racist? Sure, maybe. But freedom of religion shouldnt be forced to be accepted by the masses, when it goes against simple liberties, and being able to walk out of your house without 99% of your body covered, or the ability to operate a motor vehicle, or talk to a man in which your not related to,seems to qualify as a unquestionable right to exist.

you start allowing 1 thing, then another, then another, and next thing you know it, your next door neighbor is getting 35 lashes for watching American Idol.

Nip it in the bud now. If you dont want to be a part of the society in which you choose to live in, then its better off for you to stay where your "religion" is greater accepted.

Sounds racist? Sure, maybe. But freedom of religion shouldnt be forced to be accepted by the masses, when it goes against simple liberties, and being able to walk out of your house without 99% of your body covered, or the ability to operate a motor vehicle, or talk to a man in which your not related to,seems to qualify as a unquestionable right to exist.
    Well said.

I think you will agree with some of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39d1f...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Why stop at clothing? Why not ban religion altogether? I mean, you start allowing people to mutter under their breath to imaginary sky people and the next thing you know their writing holy books with rules in them about how you should dress and then after that there writing other rules about what to do when people break the rules and then finally people are getting killed because of it.

When will it end?

Another time honored tradition...

http://www.floridacriminaldefenselaw...ters_dead.html
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-07-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Keep the burqa out, let the terrorists stay.