Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You heard it here first: The Jets will finish 14-2 and host the AFC Championship Game

Banned

You heard it here first: The Jets will finish 14-2 and host the AFC Championship Game

Last offseason, around this time of the year, I predicted the Jets to have an 11-5 / 12-4 type of season. The Jets were much better than out 9-7 record.

Our Defense will lead the way here in 2010.

The additions of Jason Taylor pass rushing from the outside alongside Calvin Pace will become huge for the type of Defense that Rex Ryan loves to play. Good luck to opposing QB's.

The additions of both Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson as our #2 and Nickel Backs will improve our secondary in more ways than one. Our secondary ranked #1 last season, without a CB that could go man to man with slot WR's. The Jets will have soo many different types of options against opposing WR's this season. Kyle Wilson has yet to play an NFL down, but the Jets are looking at three #1 types of CB's in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson. Revis is actually more than a #1 CB; He's one of the best CB's to ever play the game.

Getting Kris Jenkins back will help the entire Defense. Getting Kris Jenkins back will be key on becoming one of the greatest D's of all time under Rex Ryan.

The strong play from Pouha last season will keep Jenkins fresh and ready to dominate here in 2010. We also have plenty of Depth at DE with players such as Ropati Pitoitua, Vernon Gholston and Mike Devito. One of those 3 will be our starting RE opposite of Shaun Ellis.

We lost Kerry Rhodes, but Rex Ryan landed a talented FS in Brodney Pool; A player thats actually willing to not only buy into the system, but also get down and dirty, stuff the run, and put his body on the line.

Watching Bart Scott and David Harris, in year #2 could be fun to watch.

Players such as Dwight Lowery, Bryan Thomas, Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito/or/Vernon Gholston, Jamaal Westerman and Kenwin Cummings are all players that make our Defensive Depth pretty deep.

This Defense won't allow last second drives to win games against us here in 2010. Those first year mistakes under Rex Ryan are long gone; This Defense is ready to take over and lead the way. The talent has arrived.

On the Offensive side of the ball, Mark Sanchez won't be asked to carry the way. We have a strong rushing attack, one of the best ground and pound games around, with WR's that can all make plays for Sanchez in Edwards, Holmes and Cotchery. We're looking at three #1 types of WR's.

Last season, our passing attack ranked just about dead last. For plenty of reasons. A) Rookie QB with only 1 year of college experience as a starter. B) Not enough Offensive weapons for Sanchez to work with.

Mark Sanchez only had 3 pass catching options last year after Leon went down. Cotchery, Edwards and Keller. Nothing else. Here in 2010? Sanchez will actually have 6 Offensive Weapons to work with when it comes down to passing situations - Double the ammount of Weapons from last season. Cotchery, Edwards, Holmes, Keller, L.T and Joe McKnight.

With Shonn Greene leading our ground and pound, with L.T spelling Shonn Greene, with our Offensive fire power in passing situations; We could be looking @ a top 10 type of Offensive attack.

People thought I was crazy last offseason for predicting an 11-5/12-4 type of season, well, guess what? The Jets ranked #1 in Defense and #1 in rushing Offense. If not for our Defense allowing last second scores, we could of had a 12-4, if not 13-3 type of season. Those same mistakes won't happen under Rex Ryan this year.

Blast away.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Defense Wins Championships 2;3640064]Last offseason, around this time of the year, I predicted the Jets to have an 11-5 / 12-4 type of season. The Jets were much better than out 9-7 record.

The additions of Jason Taylor pass rushing from the outside alongside Calvin Pace will become huge for the type of Defense that Rex Ryan loves to play. Good luck to opposing QBs.

The additions of both Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson as our #2 and Nickel Backs will improve our secondary in more ways than one. Our secondary ranked #1 last season, without a CB that could go man to man with slot WARs. The Jets will have so many different types of options against opposing WRs this season. Kyle Wilson has yet to play an NFL down, but the Jets are looking at three #1 types of CB's in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson. Revis is actually more than a #1 CB; He's one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Getting Kris Jenkins back will help the entire Defense. Getting Kris Jenkins back will be key on becoming one of the greatest D's of all time under Rex Ryan.

The strong play from Pouha last season will keep Jenkins fresh and ready to dominate here in 2010. We also have plenty of Depth at DE with players such as Ropati Pitoitua, Vernon Gholston and Mike Devito. One of those 3 will be our starting RE opposite of Shaun Ellis.

We lost Kerry Rhodes, but Rex Ryan landed a talented FS in Brodney Pool; A player that's actually willing to not only buy into the system, but also get down and dirty, stuff the run, and put his body on the line.

Players such as Dwight Lowery, Bryan Thomas, Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito/or/Vernon Gholston, Jamaal Westerman and Kenwin Cummings are all players that make our Defensive Depth pretty deep.

This Defense won't allow last second drives to win games against us here in 2010. Those first year mistakes under Rex Ryan are long gone; This Defense is ready to take over and lead the way. The talent has arrived.

On the Offensive side of the ball, Mark Sanchez won't be asked to carry the way. We have a strong rushing attack, one of the best ground and pound games around, with WRs that can all make plays for Sanchez in Edwards, Holmes and Cotchery. We're looking at three #1 types of WRs.

Last season, our passing attack ranked just about dead last. For plenty of reasons. A) Rookie QB with only 1 year of college experience as a starter. B) Not enough Offensive weapons for Sanchez to work with.

Mark Sanchez only had 3 pass catching options last year after Leon went down. Cotchery, Edwards and Keller. Nothing else. Here in 2010? Sanchez will actually have 6 Offensive Weapons to work with when it comes down to passing situations - Double the amount of Weapons from last season. Cotchery, Edwards, Holmes, Keller, L.T and Joe McKnight.

With Shonn Greene leading our ground and pound, with L.T spelling Shonn Greene, with our Offensive fire power in passing situations; We could be looking @ a top 10 type of Offensive attack.

[B]People thought I was crazy last offseason[/B] for predicting an 11-5/12-4 type of season, well, guess what? The Jets ranked #1 in Defense and #1 in rushing Offense. If not for our Defense allowing last second scores, we could of had a 12-4, if not 13-3 type of season. Those same mistakes won't happen under Rex Ryan this year.

Blast away.[/QUOTE]

A thought that never changed even as the season progressed..:P However I'm excited about the upcoming season as well..

All League
    I agree that our defensive depth is pretty deep.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yeah! Stats is back!

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3640064]Last offseason, around this time of the year, I predicted the Jets to have an 11-5 / 12-4 type of season. The Jets were much better than out 9-7 record.

The additions of Jason Taylor pass rushing from the outside alongside Calvin Pace will become huge for the type of Defense that Rex Ryan loves to play. Good luck to opposing QB's.

The additions of both Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson as our #2 and Nickel Backs will improve our secondary in more ways than one. Our secondary ranked #1 last season, without a CB that could go man to man with slot WR's. The Jets will have soo many different types of options against opposing WR's this season. Kyle Wilson has yet to play an NFL down, but the Jets are looking at three #1 types of CB's in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson. Revis is actually more than a #1 CB; He's one of the best CB's to ever play the game.

We lost Kerry Rhodes, but Rex Ryan landed a talented FS in Brodney Pool; A player thats actually willing to not only buy into the system, but also get down and dirty, stuff the run, and put his body on the line.

On the Offensive side of the ball, Mark Sanchez won't be asked to carry the way. We have a strong rushing attack, one of the best ground and pound games around, with WR's that can all make plays for Sanchez in Edwards, Holmes and Cotchery. We're looking at three #1 types of WR's.

Mark Sanchez only had 3 pass catching options last year after Leon went down. Cotchery, Edwards and Keller. Nothing else. Here in 2010? Sanchez will actually have 6 Offensive Weapons to work with when it comes down to passing situations - Double the ammount of Weapons from last season. Cotchery, Edwards, Holmes, Keller, L.T and Joe McKnight.

People thought I was crazy last offseason for predicting an 11-5/12-4 type of season, well, guess what? The Jets ranked #1 in Defense and #1 in rushing Offense. If not for our Defense allowing last second scores, we could of had a 12-4, if not 13-3 type of season. Those same mistakes won't happen under Rex Ryan this year.

Blast away.[/QUOTE]

You are making some VERY BOLD statements here. I think the Jets will have the number 1 defense once again this year. It's a no brainer to think that given the additions in the right spots on defense. But one of the best all time? NO way. I'll only believe that when I see it. The defense still lacks great talent along the defensive line (besides Jenk).

I also believe with all of the new faces on this team, it's certainly reasonable to think there will be adjustment period for this team. They will lose some games they shouldn't. So 14-2, as much as I'd like to think it, I don't believe is possible. I'm thinking more like 12-4 or 11-5, enough for the Jets to grab the second bye. Then I will be crossing my fingers when the Jets go back to Indy for the AFC championship.

Hall Of Fame
    +1 I second this. Barring injuries the jets are putting up at least 13 wins.

Banned
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3640067]I agree that our defensive depth is pretty deep.[/QUOTE]

During last offseason, Defensive Depth was something that none of us had answers to.

Behind Kris Jenkins; Just about all of us (Including myself) thought we had nothing @ NT. We later found out, that we actually had a really strong backup NT in Pouha. That could be huge heading into 2010. That was no fluke season for Pouha; Our Defense didn't miss a beat without Kris Jenkins.

I'm pulling for Vernon Gholston as our starter opposite of Ellis. Who wouldn't? We drafted Gholston high in the draft two years ago, maybe 3-4 DE is his calling grounds. If not, we all seen what Mike Devito could do... This guy is a player. I'm pumped up about watching DeVito this year.

Last year... Opposite of Calvin Pace from the outside, we had nothing in terms of putting pressure on opposing QB's from the outside. Here in 2010? We have a PROVEN pass rusher in Jason Taylor, and as we all know, Bryan Thomas does a really solid job against TE's and RB's against the pass.

Having Dwight Lowery as a dime back is pretty damn good. He may not be anywhere near an all pro type of player, but not many teams have a dime back as talented as Dwight. Last season both Lowery and Strickland were banged up for the most part.

Defensive Depth is not an issue heading into the season. Our Starting Defense looks like it's the most talented Jets Defense I've ever seen.

SS: Jim Leonhard
    FS: Brodney Pool

CB: [B]Darrelle Revis[/B]
    CB: [B]Antonio Cromartie[/B]
    CB: Kyle Wilson

OLB: Calvin Pace
    MLB: [B]David Harris[/B]
    MLB: [B]Bart Scott[/B]
    OLB: Jason Taylor

RDE: Vernon Gholston/Mike DeVito
    NT: [B]Kris Jenkins[/B]
    LDE: Shaun Ellis

If this unit can stay healthy... With Rex Ryan running the show; fans around the world could remeber this Defense for a very long time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We should call you Son of Green Jets & Ham.

Hall Of Fame
    10. 12. 14. I don't care how many games they win in the regular season. Plenty of teams have won 13+ games only to flop in the postseason. I don't want the 2010 Jets to be one of those. Win the division, preferably with a bye, and run the table in the playoffs. That's all that matters.

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3640081]We should call you Son of Green Eggs & Ham.[/QUOTE]

bahahahahahahahaha

man the heat must be getting to your head......

Jets Insider VIP
    So you were wrong last year and now are predicting us to win 2 more games then we have ever won in our franchise's history?

Yeah, ok.

12-4 should be the ceiling for this team. 14-2 is ridiculous.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3640081]We should call you Son of Green Jets & Ham.[/QUOTE]

:D

In time, he will learn to use different color font.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

without taking the time to read this, let me guess.. new additions (all named) plus existing players on the roster (all named) will produced great stats (with 2009 stats as reference) which will equal bold predictions from DWC - and before all the haters come out, he reminds us that he was basically right in his predictions of last year's team

did i come close? :cool:

you know, i've been doing something lately for DWC's posts. i've been reading the posts and hearing the voice of Herman Edwards doing analysis for ESPN.

it's perfect.

his 'analysis' is vague and basic, like someone reading a box score and trying to tell you why a team won a game. it's like reading a school report by a 7th grader trying to tell you what happened by reading the Cliff's notes.

very passionate stuff, though. i guess i can't fault him for that. i remember when i first started posting here not long ago he said something about the amazing amounts of time he 'thinks about this team.' like he sits there and daydreams about the Jets while he's sitting on the toilet.

yeah man. that's a superfan.

Banned
    What about our Offensive attack? If Mark Sanchez comes around and turns into the leader that he was during the playoffs... How the hell can opposing D's contain this Offense?

With our O-Line, Shonn Greene is the perfect type of ground and pound back. He's explosive and will become an X-Factor this season. Combine LT's field vision with our O-Line, and watch out: A FRESH L.T could become magical for us this year.

Not only will the Jets have one of, if not the best rushing attack this season but what about our passing attack? Way too many options for D's to worry about.

Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes? Two #1 WR's on the outside right there.

Holmes is also a speed burner. Something we haven't had since either Santana Moss or even a younger Coles.

Jerricho Cotchery is also a #1 type of WR, who will actually man our slot WR position. How the hell can teams stop that? Jerricho Cotchery is tough as nails, has hands of glue, and also runs crisp routes.

I could care less what anyone says; The Jets have Three #1 types of WR's.

Then BANG... There goes Dustin Keller. One of the most talented pass catching TE's around. What Keller did during the playoffs, was only a sign of things to come. With three #1 WR's on the field, there is no way that opposing LB's will be able to keep up with Keller streaking down the middle of the field.

What about our RB's who can catch out of the backfield? L.T has been one of the best to ever do it, and Joe McKnight can make plays out in open space. Shotty Jr could be calling for the screen play a good 3-4 times per game.

What about our Wildcat formation? Brad Smith as our Ronnie Brown type of X-Factor. Shonn Greene could become our Ricky Williams type of power back, with L.T running in motion before the snap. Crazy to even think about.

What about the WR bubble screen? We have that WR to block down field in Braylon Edwards, with our Speed Burner in Santonio Holmes.

If Mark Sanchez can cut down on mistakes, our Offensive attack could be something else to watch.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 07-06-2010 at 06:06 PM.

All League
    I actually heard this a couple weeks ago. :(

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/laughter.gif[/IMG]

8-8 missing the wildcard by a game due to a season-ending home loss to the Buffalo Bills.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Colemonster;3640083]10. 12. 14. I don't care how many games they win in the regular season. Plenty of teams have won 13+ games only to flop in the postseason. I don't want the 2010 Jets to be one of those. Win the division, preferably with a bye, and run the table in the playoffs. That's all that matters.[/QUOTE]

true even #1 seeds fall but you play for that #1 seed.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ozu;3640096]I actually heard this a couple weeks ago. :([/QUOTE]

+1:yes: