Thread: Robinson Cano chosen to HR dirby

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Robinson Cano chosen to HR dirby

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/07/0...ome-run-derby/

Not a fan of this, hopefully it doesn't screw his swing....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/07/0...ome-run-derby/

Not a fan of this, hopefully it doesn't screw his swing....
    Players swing for the yards just about each and every day during batting prac...They've done it since kids. Trying to hit HR's during a HR Derby should never have any harm for a player thats paid millions to swing the bat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Players swing for the yards just about each and every day during batting prac...They've done it since kids. Trying to hit HR's during a HR Derby should never have any harm for a player thats paid millions to swing the bat.
    Some people believe it doesn't, some people including players believe it does.....

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree with you. They shouldn't go into a slump after the derby, but it happens.

I'd rather see Tex in there than Cano. But Robbie's swing is so sweet that he shouldn't have trouble.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never believed in players going into slumps BECAUSE of the HR dirby.

I just cant understand it. I see players like Evan Longoria and Carlos Pena putting on shows before just about each and every Rays game. Pena never has a good average, but it's never done anything to Longo.

Maybe it's a mental block during the first 2 or 3 games after the HR Derby? But anything more than that; is Baseball being a game of failure.

To make a long story shorts: All Star weekend is all about the fans. It's all about having fun. If I were a Yankee fan, I'd be excited to see Cano in the derby; His swing is pure. Griffey Jr pure? No. But he does have a sweet swing.

Cano has came along way, one of the best Offensive weapons in the game today; He deserves this National spotlight.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he will be ok. He just has to keep his swing the same. As bad as it sounds, I hope he doesn't advance out of the first round

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like the idea either. Remember when Bobby Abreu was in the HOUR derby a few years ago? Totally messed up his swing and he wound up having a terrible 2nd half for the Phillies. Every player is different and reacts differently to these things. I just don't want to take a chance with Robbie and this MVP season he's having.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin Long the Yankees hitting coach said he wasn't thrilled about one of his hitters being in this..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Some people believe it doesn't, some people including players believe it does.....
    I think it's more that some people use the derby as an excuse for why a players performance is down. Plenty of players have worse second halves than first halves. Especially when the first half of the season is 3.5 months long and the second half of the season is 2.5 months. People tend to forget that small fact.

Go to a Yankee game a couple hours before the game. Cano is probably hitting more HRs than anyone else out there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think its a bad move for Cano, when your hitting like he is you don't do anything to screw it up.

Both Wright and Abreu had bad slumps after participating in the derby.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    I think it's more that some people use the derby as an excuse for why a players performance is down. Plenty of players have worse second halves than first halves. Especially when the first half of the season is 3.5 months long and the second half of the season is 2.5 months. People tend to forget that small fact.

Go to a Yankee game a couple hours before the game. Cano is probably hitting more HRs than anyone else out there.
    I don't care what they do in BP, when the hitting coach says he isn't thrilled about it and other players say how it took them time to get their swings back afterwords... Maybe it won't with Cano, but Josh Hamilton said that it screwed with his swing, A-Rod said so, and a bunch of others in the past. People say its fun to experience if you never did it before, but there is a reason why there are players that will not do it after the first time they have done it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post

Hitting homeruns in the course of your regular swing is ok.

Re-vamping your swing (developing more lift) to hit homeruns can alter your swing.

A swing is all about balance and muscle memory. If you change that, it certainly can affect you over a period of time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Cano pulled out of the Derby today.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normal every day batting practice and the home run derby are not even remotely similar. In fact, in many ways to some players, they are the opposite. One is a productive method of muscle memory training and the other is destructive for those guys. Ask Bobby Abreu.

You would think that as the greatest baseball mind in the history of the game that you would know that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news. I'm glad we don't even have to worry about the risk of him screwing up his swing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I just don't want to take a chance with Robbie and this MVP season he's having.
    I'm glad that Cano pulled out of the HR Derby. Now Yankee fans will have no excuse once Cano comes crashing back down to earth.

Also, Miguel Cabrera is having a much better season than Cano. It's really not even all that close when talking about an MVP type of season. The Tigers are also in 1st place out in the Central.

Cabrera: Batting average of .343, 103 hits, 26 doubles, 1 triple, 21 HR's, 73 RBI's, 40 base on balls, 2 stolen bases out of 5 attempts, 51 K outs, on base % of .420, slugging % of .647 with an OPS of 1.066

Cano: Batting average of .337, 110 hits, 22 doubles, 1 triple, 16 HR's, 55 RBI's, 25 base on balls, 2 stolen bases out of 2 attempts, 39 K outs, on base % of .390, slugging % of .558, OPS of .948

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad that Cano pulled out of the HR Derby. Now Yankee fans will have no excuse once Cano comes crashing back down to earth.

Also, Miguel Cabrera is having a much better season than Cano. It's really not even all that close when talking about an MVP type of season. The Tigers are also in 1st place out in the Central.

Cabrera: Batting average of .343, 103 hits, 26 doubles, 1 triple, 21 HR's, 73 RBI's, 40 base on balls, 2 stolen bases out of 5 attempts, 51 K outs, on base % of .420, slugging % of .647 with an OPS of 1.066

Cano: Batting average of .337, 110 hits, 22 doubles, 1 triple, 16 HR's, 55 RBI's, 25 base on balls, 2 stolen bases out of 2 attempts, 39 K outs, on base % of .390, slugging % of .558, OPS of .948
    lol you're such a tool.

The Yankees could be and will be 10 games back of the Rays. It's only May, right? hahahaha you are King Jinx.

Glad to see Cano dropped out. Long and Girardi must have really pressured him into that decision, but I don't care. It's for the better. And I don't think his 2nd half will be as great as the 1st, but I fully expect .325 with 12-15 HR and 50+ RBI.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 07-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

and B.J Upton and Carlos Pena are going to hit .400 in the second half?

Get off Cano, he is better than any hitter you have on the Rays.

You claim you respect the Yankees, than bash away once they overpower the Rays and cry about payroll, its amusing.

Now you use Miguel Cabrera, what happened to Longoria who should have won the MVP and put up some of the best numbers ever? Why don't you compare them like you did in the beginning of the season when you said Cano would cool down?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol yeah I remember when he said that Cano will cool down and can only go down, then said that Longoria could only get better.