Thread: Revis has one of the greatest seasons of all time...

All League

Revis has one of the greatest seasons of all time...

Didn't see this posted, but the article points out what his season might have meant if he were and offensive player...

[QUOTE]
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]If Darrelle Revis were an offensive player, his level of performance last season would have broken several all-time records, a statistical analysis by Football Outsiders reveals.
    The stat-based website compared Revis' performance last season with a normal season by a cornerback, then used the difference to make comparisons at other positions.

[B]"A player playing at Revis’ level while getting a comparable usage rate at a different position in 2009 would have set the NFL passing record by nearly 500 yards, beat out Jerry Rice for the single-season receiving record, or run for 2,000 yards while averaging a record-tying 6.4 yards per carry," [/B][URL="http://www.footballoutsiders.com/files/downloads/FOA%202010%20Sample%20-%20NYJ.pdf"][B]the report says[/B][/URL][B].[/B]

Revis gave up 3.5 yards per pass at him (96 targets), much better than the 7.5 allowed by an average cornerback.
    Using that difference in quality, Revis' statistics at other positions would have been:
    [B]QB: 5,532 passing yards (NFL record: 5,084)[/B]
    [B]WR: 1,922 receiving yards (NFL record: 1,848)[/B]
    [B]RB: 2,000 rushing yards (NFL record: 2,105)[/B]

"No one had more of an impact on his defense than Revis," the report says. "What was more impressive is that he still drew the sixth-highest target rate of any defensive back in the league. He was consistently able to convince quarterbacks to throw in his direction, and yet, effective enough to prevent those passes from being completed."
    [URL="http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/revis_brick_sack_report_of_pact_ZUDuGps3KScwl2xP4TkEKP"]Revis is in contentious contract negotiations with the Jets[/URL], claiming they promised to make him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL, which would require a salary of more than $16 million per season to pass the Raiders' Nnmadi Asomugha.
    Football Outsiders says Revis is worth it.
    "That raises his value compared to a player like Nnamdi Asomugha, whose greatness simply funnels targets over to the other, weaker players on the roster," it says.

Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_revis_had_one_of_greatest_seasons_DZOc2UJRG1UVwiXRxy96CJ#ixzz0t0jZaliL[/URL]
    [/QUOTE][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Fun with numbers.

Explains why they are football 'Outsiders'.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

you really didn't see this posted the first time? :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=shuler 82;3640599]you really didn't see this posted the first time? :eek:[/QUOTE]

The Revis worshippers need their daily fix of the Great one..:yes:

What if he played Special Teams?

Forward for Real Madrid?

Goalie for the Canucks?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2®;3640624]What if he played Special Teams?

Forward for Real Madrid?

Goalie for the Canucks?[/QUOTE]

what if he we were a troll on a message board? 50,000K posts at least!

We also had the lowest YPG average to #1 WR in history, well since they recorded it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FF2®;3640624]What if he played Special Teams?

Forward for Real Madrid?

Goalie for the Canucks?[/QUOTE]

But could he beat Brad Smiths ypc average?? :eek:

Here's another B-Smitty multiple-qualifier distinction: He's the NFL's career yards-per-carry leader, for all players who've played at least 16 games and have averaged at least one carry per game. In other words, all rushers with at least a season under their belts and the threat of toting the rock every game. Here are the top five, all QBs:

Player, Team(s) Years Games Atts Yards Avg
    Brad Smith, JETS 2006-09 60 60 468 7.8
    Bruce Mathison, SD-BUF-SEA 1983-87 18 34 245 7.2
    Michael Vick, ATL-PHI 2001-09 86 553 3,954 7.2
    Mike Rae, OAK-TB 1976-79 28 44 300 6.8
    Bucky Richardson, HOU 1992-94 18 33 225 6.8
    Last edited by Savage69; 07-07-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3640650]But could he beat Brads Smiths ypc average?? :eek:

Here's another B-Smitty multiple-qualifier distinction: He's the NFL's career yards-per-carry leader, for all players who've played at least 16 games and have averaged at least one carry per game. In other words, all rushers with at least a season under their belts and the threat of toting the rock every game. Here are the top five, all QBs:

Player, Team(s) Years Games Atts Yards Avg
    Brad Smith, JETS 2006-09 60 60 468 7.8
    Bruce Mathison, SD-BUF-SEA 1983-87 18 34 245 7.2
    Michael Vick, ATL-PHI 2001-09 86 553 3,954 7.2
    Mike Rae, OAK-TB 1976-79 28 44 300 6.8
    Bucky Richardson, HOU 1992-94 18 33 225 6.8[/QUOTE]
    I'd be okay with giving Revis "Brad Smith Money". :yes:

Rookie
    Aside from this being posted at least twice already...

I have an issue with the way this keeps getting worded. If you look through the FO site you will find many statistics, and lots of stat compiling to try to make the numbers more visible and understandable. They have several statistical analysis for each position. They admit on their site that many of these stats do not translate into the players being good (or bad). However there are a few that do actually do a fantastic job at relating numbers to talent.

This one particular comparison of numbers is actually a very good method of showing what kind of impact the stats have. Considering there are no real stats that translate to complete talent for DB's (yes there are picks, sacks, and tackles, but those do not necessarily mean overall talent - see DPOY) as there are for offensive players (yards, td's, etc).

My issue with the wording comes with the fact that basically they suggest if Revis were to be a QB those are the numbers he would put up. This is understandable to use this comparison, but it sounds utterly ridiculous.

Rather, they should simply say - "the numbers Revis put up when compared to other DBs in the league are as impressive for a DB as throwing the single season record for Qb, etc."

Does anyone have any concerns that all this hype is being given to Revis for one great season? I know he was good before that but I'd like to hold off on the Gold jacket until I see a few more seasons.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FREEJET;3640998]Does anyone have any concerns that all this hype is being given to Revise for one great season? I know he was good before that but I'd like to hold off on the Gold jacket until I see a few more seasons.[/QUOTE]

Any sane fan should have concerns but sanity here is rare and looked at as being a hater if you don't bow at the altar of the mighty Revis the best player of all time! :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=FREEJET;3640998]Does anyone have any concerns that all this hype is being given to Revis for one great season? I know he was good before that but I'd like to hold off on the Gold jacket until I see a few more seasons.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any concerns necessarily, but I think there is a very strong likelihood that Revis declines somewhat this year. He'll get beat eventually. Its a virtual certainty. He'll get beat more than once and he'll look human. Happens to the best of them. Doesn't mean he isn't great, but he is mortal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;3641011]I don't have any concerns necessarily, but I think there is a very strong likelihood that Revis declines somewhat this year. He'll get beat eventually. Its a virtual certainty. He'll get beat more than once and he'll look human. Happens to the best of them. Doesn't mean he isn't great, but he is mortal.[/QUOTE]

Hell Ginn beat him last season.. Moss isn't surprising.. Who knows if Revis even plays this year if he doesn't get the contract he wants?? His uncle sat out a year to force a trade..:eek:

[QUOTE=Savage69;3641005]Any sane fan should have concerns but sanity here is rare and looked at as being a hater if you don't bow at the altar of the mighty Revis the best player of all time! :yes:[/QUOTE]

Any sane fan will tell you that they've seen enough of Revis to know he deserves to be the highest paid CB in the league and should be locked up long term with great speed.

There's NO way you can have a season like what Revis had and have it be just a coincidence. It's impossible. He shut down the very BEST of what this league has to offer consistently, week in and week out. That's Deion Sanders play right there. ANY sane fan will pull their heads out of there rear ends and realize that. This is not a fact, but I still believe that assuming his health remains good, he will go down as the BEST player at his position EVER.

Argue the facts all you want. However, they are still facts. If you are arguing money, have at it. I won't participate because it's hard to put a monetary value on a CB when the Asomugha contract is so ridiculously out of line.

However, I do think he should either be very close to or be the very highest paid player at his position.

[QUOTE=Piper;3640581]Fun with numbers.

Explains why they are football 'Outsiders'.[/QUOTE]

life is funny sometimes

when i first joined this board... piper and i hadl basically opposing view points

almost a decade later

i agree with every friggin post the guy makes.

well played sir

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3641026]Any sane fan will tell you that they've seen enough of Revis to know he deserves to be the highest paid CB in the league and should be locked up long term with great speed.

There's NO way you can have a season like what Revis had and have it be just a coincidence. It's impossible. He shut down the very BEST of what this league has to offer consistently, week in and week out. That's Deion Sanders play right there. ANY sane fan will pull their heads out of there rear ends and realize that. This is not a fact, but I still believe that assuming his health remains good, he will go down as the BEST player at his position EVER.

Argue the facts all you want. However, they are still facts. If you are arguing money, have at it. I won't participate because it's hard to put a monetary value on a. [B] CB when the Asomugha contract is so ridiculously out of line

However, I do think he should either be very close to or be the very highest paid player at his position.[/B][/QUOTE]
    If you take that dopey contract out of the conversation we agree.. Also Revis still has a contract with 3 years remaining but will he show up for camp??

Veteran
    [img]http://kanyewestdouchebag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/imma-let-you-finish-banana.jpg[/img]