Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Brick Is First To Get Paid. Who's Next? Not Mangold.

New Story: Brick Is First To Get Paid. Who's Next? Not Mangold.

[B]T D'Brickashaw Ferguson becomes the first of a long list of pending free agents as he agrees to a monster contract exension. JI*sources say Mangold is still far from a deal.[/B] *

ESPN is reporting that the Jets have agreed in principle to a*six year contract extension worth over $60MM with almost $34MM guaranteed. He currently has one more year left on his current deal so he is locked up with Gang Green until 2016.

Ferguson, the Jets top pick in 2006 now is tied with Miami's Jake Long with the highest average salary for an NFL tackle.

With Ferguson signed the Jets...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/sean_deegan/?p=332]More...[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

This sucks. Happy for D'Brick, but Mangold's getting shafted here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3641099]This sucks. Happy for D'Brick, but Mangold's getting shafted here.[/QUOTE]

+1 :yes:

Right or wrong (morally) the Jets signing of Mangold is a low priority. I believe they'll franchise him next year rather then sign him long term. Centers even ones that are Pro Bowlers don't rate as high as OLT's or CB's.However imho this guy is what a Jet player should be. In Nick's case I hope he gets his money he deserves every penny of it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=LI JET FAN;3641112]Right or wrong (morally) the Jets signing of Mangold is a low priority. I believe they'll franchise him next year rather then sign him long term. Centers even ones that are Pro Bowlers don't rate as high as OLT's or CB's.However imho this guy is what a Jet player should be. In Nick's case I hope he gets his money he deserves every penny of it.[/QUOTE]

Besides being a great center Mangold has a great personality and is one of the best practical jokers on the team..He's made for Hard Knocks..:yes:

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3641099]This sucks. Happy for D'Brick, but Mangold's getting shafted here.[/QUOTE]

He is not getting shafted at all. Mangold will get his contract, but his upfront $$ is too much. They have to sign Revis first in order to sign their first round pick.

signing d'brick for this much will send a positive message to revis, harris and mangold. it's not like d'brick signed for short money and without security. 34M is a lot of security.

All League
    Good for Brick, he deserves it!

Good for the Jets, LT is extremely important to the offense, probably the most important after QB, and we have one of the best locked up through his prime.

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;3641120]He is not getting shafted at all. Mangold will get his contract, but his upfront $$ is too much. They have to sign Revis first in order to sign their first round pick.[/QUOTE]

Normally true.

But in an uncapped year (although no one understand the implications of spending wildly) this is one time that this doesn't matter.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i asked this in another thread and don't believe i got an answer ... any of you cap guru's know the answer to this salary cap [B]FRANCHISE TAG[/B] question??? ...

... i believe awhile back they grouped OG along with OT under the salarycap structure ... this led to guards who were franchise tagged having their salaries explode through the roof into the structure we have today ...

... my question is this ...

... do centers also fall under the same grouping as OT/OG? ...

... are they just basically a specialized OG as far as the cap is concerned? ...

(if so, this could impact whether they would consider using the franchise tag on a Center or not)

thanks,

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 07-08-2010 at 10:02 AM.

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3641359]... i asked this in another thread and don't believe i got an answer ... any of you cap guru's know the answer to this salary cap [B]FRANCHISE TAG[/B] question??? ...
    [/QUOTE]

im not a cap guru but i believe the tag is just for "offensive line" with no distinction of position. Could be wrong.

Also the tag didn't lead to guard salary increases. the market decided guards were actually valuable.... and you couldn't just throw "adrien clarke" types in there and be fine.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3641359]... i asked this in another thread and don't believe i got an answer ... any of you cap guru's know the answer to this salary cap [B]FRANCHISE TAG[/B] question??? ...

... i believe awhile back they grouped OG along with OT under the salarycap structure ... this led to guards who were franchise tagged having their salaries explode through the roof into the structure we have today ...

... my question is this ...

... do centers also fall under the same grouping as OT/OG? ...

... are they just basically a specialized OG as far as the cap is concerned? ...

(if so, this could impact whether they would consider using the franchise tag on a Center or not)

thanks,

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

The tag is for the whole Offensive Line, not for a specific position. In 2010, its a little over $10 million. But, depending on the CBA, Mangold may only be an RFA next year. So, he wouldn't have to be franchised - he could be tagged with the high 1st and 3rd tender and be on the team for about $6 million or so. This could be the reason why the Jets aren't rushing to re-sign Mangold at this juncture.

Same thing happened to Logan Mankins this year. Needless to say, he's not happy.

Jets Insider VIP
    mangold should be last of the core 4. Center is just not that big a deal. We need Harris signed. He is a beast. then revis, then mangold.

Jets Insider VIP
    Like it or not, Mangold is at the bottom of the totem pole.

Center just isn't a premium position.

I agree with JWN, Mangold will most likely be the last of the Big 4 to get a new deal.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3641437]mangold should be last of the core 4. Center is just not that big a deal. We need Harris signed. He is a beast. then revis, then mangold.[/QUOTE]

Harris should be the last of the big four. He's the least important of that group. If Jets were to take care of Ferguson(was the most important), Revis(second) , and Harris (fourth) before Mangold (third) than people could make a case of Jets practicing reverse discrimination.

So Far Jets have went with the most important player(Dbrick) . Revis should be next , followed by Mangold. You really can't fault Jets so far.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... thanks guys ...

... i had remembered a greater salary distinction between OT's & OG's ... and that has been diminished with the cap/franchise tag ...

... good info on center just falling in line with the others ... so if i'm looking at that correct then ...

if we franchise tagged mangold he would get paid the average 1 year salary of the top 5 o-linemen (who of course would be left tackles) ... would seem to be incentive to tanny & co. to get a long-term deal worked out vs. overpaying at the position next year once the cap is back in place

l_j_r

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;3641399] But, depending on the CBA, Mangold may only be an RFA next year. So, he wouldn't have to be franchised - he could be tagged with the high 1st and 3rd tender and be on the team for about $6 million or so. This could be the reason why the Jets aren't rushing to re-sign Mangold at this juncture.
    [/QUOTE]

... just got this ... thanks crash ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3641456]Like it or not, Mangold is at the bottom of the totem pole.

I agree with JWN, Mangold will most likely be the last of the Big 4 to get a new deal.[/QUOTE]

and thats the way it should be. Every year there's a couple of good Centers that can get the job done, who come out of the draft. Difference is you can grab them at the bottom 1st, or anywhere in the 2nd, rather that top 10.

Revis + Harris and i would even hazard WR (whomever Sanchez gels with more this year) before Nick

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3641456]Like it or not, Mangold is at the bottom of the totem pole.

I agree with JWN, Mangold will most likely be the last of the Big 4 to get a new deal.[/QUOTE]

And you're both right. If the Jets had to get value for any of the core four, I would hope that it's Mangold before anyone else. No one doubts that he's the best center in the league right now, but the idea of being able to sign all three of Edwards, Holmes and Cromartie (if they play well of course) is far more appealing to me than having four huge contracts on the OL, especially when one of them is a center.

Since the Jets have several players in the last year of their deals, maybe they're trying to wait until after the season to determine the priority list. I think it's a good approach, even if it leads to a little bad blood. Cash money is an unparalleled band-aid, so let's not worry too much about Mangold's feelings just yet.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;3641468]Harris should be the last of the big four. He's the least important of that group. If Jets were to take care of Ferguson(was the most important), Revis(second) , and Harris (fourth) before Mangold (third) [B]than people could make a case of Jets practicing reverse discrimination[/B]. [/QUOTE]

That's just ridiculous.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3641475]... just got this ... thanks crash ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Plus, as pointed out in the blog post and by Jason in the other thread, Mangold is possibly falling victim to the 30% rule on account of his relatively modest 2010 salary. Accordingly, without a new CBA, it will be next to impossible to give him the kind of deal he wants this year.

I don't know that I'd agree with the fact that Mangold is the lowest priority of the 4 on account of him playing Center. I think the Jets would NEVER even consider letting him go (unlike Harris). I just think the circumstances surrounding him and his contract are dictating the fact that he is getting screwed right now.