Thread: Lee for three sign and trade with GS

Lee for three sign and trade with GS

By Chad Ford
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    New York Knicks forward David Lee got some good news, once LeBron James announced his intention to join the Miami Heat.

Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told ESPN.com that Lee had agreed to a sign-and-trade worth $80 million dollars over six years with the Golden State Warriors.

Lee

The deal will send Lee to the Warriors for Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna Azubuike among others.

Knicks GM Donnie Walsh has coveted Randolph for years and feels he'd give the team another long, athletic forward to pair with Amare Stoudemire and Danilo Gallinari in the frontcourt.

A number of other teams including the Raptors, Suns, Timberwolves and Nets had made pitches to Lee in the past several days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5364903
    Last edited by B-HOW; 07-08-2010 at 10:20 PM.

FF2 was right... The Knicks ARE back
    Last edited by Dimitri_0515; 07-08-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Re: Lee for three sign and trade with GS

Fwiw, randolph is really, really good.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    Turiaf and Azubuike are good depth, but Randolph is the key piece in this deal.

21 years old and will excel in D'Antoni's system.

Banned
    Lee is nowhere near worth $80 mil. Have fun with that insane contract Warriors.

Knicks get:

Randolph - good offensive player, doesn't play D, Knicks can opt out of his contract next summer

Turiaf - energetic player, has a player option for 4.36 mil next summer which he probably opts into since he's not good

Knicks are still in prime position to sign Carmelo next summer. Curry's $11.3 mil will still be coming off the books plus our leftover cap room from this off-season.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 07-08-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Re: Lee for three sign and trade with GS

This allows stoudamire to play c, which against most of the east is fine, and randolph at pf. Mix in douglas, gallinari, and wilson...better than what we are used to.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    Turiaf and Azubuike are good depth, but Randolph is the key piece in this deal.

21 years old and will excel in D'Antoni's system.
    +1

This is actually a good trade for the Knicks. Randolph could end up being good if not we opt out of his deal next summer.

Lee's contract from Golden State is a joke. Like giving David Harris $60 mil in the NFL.

All these contracts are a joke.

As a huge Warriors fan, and STH I like the deal.

Make no mistake, Randolph is a high risk, high reward player. He has all the talent to be a star player. He still needs to get stronger, but where he really needs help is controlling his attitude. His emotion makes him a player, but also a liability.

For the Knicks, this is a play for Melo, and if he doesn't sign his extension, he puts Denver in a bind. They will have to move him or wind up like the Cavs. Martin, Billups are on the down slope. We all know Melo would like NY, but this season better be a good one for the Knicks, or he will bail too. Buike is a UFA after the season, and Rony his a 4 million player option next year. With a decent season, he opts out.

If Amare goes down, or this team remains a cellar dweller with limited draft picks in the future, they are sunk. I would bypass Dickhead Dolan too.

As for Lee...12 million per year is a lot, but certainly not unmovable if he continues to do what he does. It will be funny when he comes to town with Steph Curry. Just over a year ago Knicks fans were hoping for them here. Add in Ellis who can flat out score, and young players in Wright, Udoh and Biedrins who can all get up and down, and you have a solid young team. They're pretty high on Reggie Williams and have RFA's Watson and Morrow to work on too.

Next job for the Dubs is to get the team from Cohan to Ellison and build an Arena in downtown San Francisco. They do that, and you could see a real big city team become a West Coast player for the foreseeable future.

Banned
    The more I think about this deal the more it looks like a robbery for the Knicks. Anthony Randolph is a very talented kid. He needs to get his weight up but he's only 21 and still growing. Talented, 6-10, athletic 21 yr old who the Warriors just gave up on so they could let David Lee clog up their cap the next 6 years.

Randolph, Gallo, Douglas, Chandler - I like the youth movement.

In case you're not too familiar with Anthony Randolph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CDefTdwIx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whh9Z...eature=related

Future All-Star.

Randolph is a good fit for the Knicks because he is a super athlete that has the potential to be an awesome offensive player, especially in a wide open system. David Lee was a garbage basket player. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but he is not going to get the ball and create anything. Randolph can.

His biggest problem is that he is still about as wide as a toothpick. He has the size of a 4, but he just gets overpowered by bigger guys. He has the athleticism to guard the 3, but he doesnt have the defensive knowhow to do be good at that and you cant expect him to learn how to defend in NY under D'Antoni.

I actually dont think the Knicks will be too bad next year. Im not crazy about Felton, but he may do well in this system. I think he got exposed a bit in Charlotte due to his height, but can probably do better in a faster paced offense where he can use his speed much more.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    The Knicks are back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The Knicks are back.
    Not if Dolan has anything to do with it.

As to the Lee S&T it's a no brainer.

Lee is an excellent complimentary player. I'm disappointing for him in going to GS. He'd be an excellent addition to a top playoff team. San Antonio would be one but Greg Pop didn't want him for some reason.

The problem for Lee with the Knicks is that he didn't have anyone to compliment here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Randolph is a good fit for the Knicks because he is a super athlete that has the potential to be an awesome offensive player, especially in a wide open system. David Lee was a garbage basket player. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but he is not going to get the ball and create anything. Randolph can.

His biggest problem is that he is still about as wide as a toothpick. He has the size of a 4, but he just gets overpowered by bigger guys. He has the athleticism to guard the 3, but he doesnt have the defensive knowhow to do be good at that and you cant expect him to learn how to defend in NY under D'Antoni.

I actually dont think the Knicks will be too bad next year. Im not crazy about Felton, but he may do well in this system. I think he got exposed a bit in Charlotte due to his height, but can probably do better in a faster paced offense where he can use his speed much more.
    I can see where your coming from, for some reason i trust donnie walsh, and even though im not to high on D'antonio, again i trust donnie knows what he is doing, I like these guys he is picking up, do i love em no, but i def think the Knicks will be one of those up and coming teams that fight for 6-9 spot in the eastern conference. Think we will see the team mature in front of our eyes
    Last edited by AnthonySerp; 07-10-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post

I can see D'Antoni going with this lineup quite a bit next season:

PG: Felton
    SG: Gallo
    SF: Randolph
    PF: Amare
    C: Turiaf

What I'm really excited about with Randolph is his shot blocking ability. We haven't had a shot blocker on this team since Layden traded Camby and the 7th pick in the draft (potentially Amare) for donut.

Randolph will gain the weight. He's only 21. In the meantime D'Antoni will play him at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Lee is nowhere near worth $80 mil. Have fun with that insane contract Warriors.

Knicks get:

Randolph - good offensive player, doesn't play D, Knicks can opt out of his contract next summer

Turiaf - energetic player, has a player option for 4.36 mil next summer which he probably opts into since he's not good

Knicks are still in prime position to sign Carmelo next summer. Curry's $11.3 mil will still be coming off the books plus our leftover cap room from this off-season.
    Just like LeBron James? Forget it, Carmelo is not coming here, especially after Stoudamire gets hurt for the millionth time. As long as we have Dolt-an as an owner, no one of worth is putting on a Knick jersey.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    The more I think about this deal the more it looks like a robbery for the Knicks. Anthony Randolph is a very talented kid. He needs to get his weight up but he's only 21 and still growing. Talented, 6-10, athletic 21 yr old who the Warriors just gave up on so they could let David Lee clog up their cap the next 6 years.

Randolph, Gallo, Douglas, Chandler - I like the youth movement.

In case you're not too familiar with Anthony Randolph:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CDefTdwIx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whh9Z...eature=related

Future All-Star.
    The blocks in the highlights are sick. Yeah, they're highlights but the guy has a couple of fastbreak blocks in there which you hardly see.

Randolph was the key to the S&T. The Knicks have some good length and athleticism in Amare, Gallo, and Randolph now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Just like LeBron James? Forget it, Carmelo is not coming here, especially after Stoudamire gets hurt for the millionth time. As long as we have Dolt-an as an owner, no one of worth is putting on a Knick jersey.
    Hey you're right the Knicks should just give up staying underneath the cap and just overpay for the David Lees, Mike Millers and Al Jeffersons of the world. That's the strategy they used the last 10 years and all they got was nothing.

Carmelo can't sign with Miami. He sold his house in Denver at a loss of $2.5 mil and that New York wife of his hates it there. He can go the Clippers and play for that joke of an organization in Kobe's shadow the rest of his career. He can go to DC - closest thing to him playing for hometown B-More - oh wait Ernie Grunfeld just used most of his cap room in that stupid Hinrich trade.

There's a much better chance of Carmelo coming to the Knicks than Lebron "I Don't Want to Be a Leader" James.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 07-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The blocks in the highlights are sick. Yeah, they're highlights but the guy has a couple of fastbreak blocks in there which you hardly see.

Randolph was the key to the S&T. The Knicks have some good length and athleticism in Amare, Gallo, and Randolph now.
    Look at this kid's wingspan. With arms like those he can't help but be a shot blocking machine: