Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAL Reason Why LeBron passed on NYC

All League

REAL Reason Why LeBron passed on NYC

Don't know if anyone has read this, but I could see the NY Media on a FRENZY w/this if true:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ed.html?cat=14

LeBron James' Mother Gloria's Alleged Affair with Delonte West May Have Changed the Course of NBA History

ESPN's Colin Cowherd Claims an Embarrassing Personal Situation Will Keep the King from Playing in New York City
    LeBron James' mother, Gloria James, is, according to one theory, one of the key reasons why James has decided not to play in New York City with the New York Knicks.

ESPN host Colin Cowherd said on his radio show today that Gloria James has been involved in a potentially embarrassing situation; a situation that Cowherd claims the New York Post was set to report on before being 'begged' not to by representatives of LeBron. Cowherd said that he was prohibited by his network, ESPN, from discussing the specifics of the situation. He said only that New York Post writers had staked out Gloria James' house and presumably had embarrassing information concerning her. Cowherd's take on it was that James realized that living life in the big city fishbowl that is New York City would have created too much of a risk of embarrassment for him and his mother, with whom he is very close. Cleveland media, on the other hand, is much more protective of its local athletes.

While Cowherd had to stop short of saying it, it seemed very likely that the story that he was referring to was Gloria James' alleged sexual affair with LeBron's teammate Delonte West. It has been said by many, including NBA Hall of Famer Calvin Murphy, that West and Gloria James had a sexual affair that lasted for an unspecified amount of time.

As the story goes, LeBron James found out about the affair during Cleveland's conference final playoff series against the Boston Celtics, and was too stunned to focus and play at anywhere near the level he is normally capable of. His performance did fall dramatically short during that series and was the key reason that the Cavaliers lost to the Celtics.

While New York City is widely thought to have a huge advantage in attracting free agent athletes due to its bright lights and sheer size, the downside to playing in New York City, particularly for those trying to protect family members, is probably under-reported at times. As the nation's largest city, New York has a fiercely competitive media and athletes' personal lives are often considered fair game.

If what Colin Cowherd is reporting is accurate, this is the classic example of the double edged sword of the bright lights, big city mentality in the Big Apple. While many are attracted to it and end up loving it (see Reggie Jackson in a previous generation), many more have a very difficult time adjusting to it and living their lives in normalcy.

Of course, if Gloria James' alleged affair with Delonte West really happened, one wonders what she is thinking tonight as it may well have played a large part in preventing LeBron James from playing in the biggest market in the country with one of the NBA's signature teams in the world's most famous arena, Madison Square Garden.

Source: Staff Reporter, "ESPN told NOT to talk about LeBron's Moms fling with Delonte West", playerpress.com

I just figured he was a big fan of Oil and Poisoned beaches.

Queen James is gonna choke JUST like he did with Cleveland.

His name shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence as MJ's
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 07-09-2010 at 01:28 AM.

I thought you were going to say because of Braylon Edwards.

Banned
    why analyze what the ignorant dope did or didn't do, really

It's the NBA after all

so actually nobody gives a hoot

All Pro
    What? I am shocked! Shocked I tell ya, beyond belif, unbelieveable! wow!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

His teammate was banging his mother? Holy sh!t....the only way he isn't the laughing stock of the league going forward is if there is a player out there who's dad was giving out $10 handjobs in the parking lot. Lets hope, for Lebron's sake, that there is.

Knowing this, I wouldn't have been surprised if Lebron announced last night that he was signing with Maccabi Tel Aviv. Considering his signing with Miami is considered either treachery or cowardice amongst predominantly every fan outside of Dade County, people will be relentless with their taunts going forward. "Hey Lebron, which mediocre teammate on the Heat do you think your mom is going to start bangin'? Is that part of your contract?"

This guy went from King of the world to Court Jester real fast.

Hall Of Fame
    pic?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bro Green View Post
    pic?
    What Mo-Fo wouldn't want a piece of this???

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post

haha....I was thinking that I doubt the woman who birthed Lebron James would be considered petite. Perhaps she could have been 6'2 and leggy, but more likely she would be built like a Mack Truck. Obviously the latter held true.

James passed on New York for one reason and one reason alone.

Taxes.

It would be funny as hell if somehow the Knicks could get West

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I just figured he was a big fan of Oil and Poisoned beaches.

Queen James is gonna choke JUST like he did with Cleveland.

His name shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence as MJ's
    No oil yet, it's all in the pan handle so far. It has a long way to go before it gets to Miami. So, question; why choose between revis island and Cromartie county when they really have to face Cromartie's party on Revis Island?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post

I don't think that's her.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    James passed on New York for one reason and one reason alone.

Taxes.
    Nonsense.

That didn't stop CC Sabathia, Santana, Amare, etc. That's nonsense.

He passed on NY because he was tired of being a leader. He'd rather be the wingman and get the accolades.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Don't know if anyone has read this, but I could see the NY Media on a FRENZY w/this if true:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ed.html?cat=14

LeBron James' Mother Gloria's Alleged Affair with Delonte West May Have Changed the Course of NBA History

Of course, if Gloria James' alleged affair with Delonte West really happened, one wonders what she is thinking tonight as it may well have played a large part in preventing LeBron James from playing in the biggest market in the country with one of the NBA's signature teams in the world's most famous arena, Madison Square Garden.

Source: Staff Reporter, "ESPN told NOT to talk about LeBron's Moms fling with Delonte West", playerpress.com
    Love the rationalizations floating around now.The West story has been out there since the playoffs. All of a sudden NOW Cowherd is bringing it up?

Also crack up the characterization of the Knicks being "one of the NBA's signature teams" and MSG as the "Worlds Most Famous Arena".

No one outside of NY thinks that.

_

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Nonsense.

That didn't stop CC Sabathia, Santana, Amare, etc. That's nonsense.

He passed on NY because he was tired of being a leader. He'd rather be the wingman and get the accolades.
    You're simply wrong.

Like the ESPN chuckleheads, I guess complex ideas like taxes and income are just too much for you.

Let me guess, your next argument is "he's making hundreds of millions, whats 12 mil a year in taxes to him!".

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    You're simply wrong.

Like the ESPN chuckleheads, I guess complex ideas like taxes and income are just too much for you.

Let me guess, your next argument is "he's making hundreds of millions, whats 12 mil a year in taxes to him!".

Actually, it's a difference of $1 million in taxes (ESPN broke it down already).

Second, he's taking LESS money to play in Miami and that includes the tax break.

Third, there is something known as property taxes which is high that he'll have to play.

The tax argument is merely tangental. If that was the driving force for athletes every player would fight to play for the Florida teams which simply isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Actually, it's a difference of $1 million in taxes (ESPN broke it down already).
    Then ESPN is flatout wrong, which isn't a shock.

0% vs. 12%+

Is not $1 million with the money he is making, both from the team and from endorcements.

As for property taxes (and sales taxes as well), without knowing the numbers off the top of my head, I'm willing to bet New York isn't lower on either taxation rate.

If you want to believe this is about winning, be my guest.

simple... he is a WUSS, part whimp and part puss.... better to be second fiddle and hold have a TV show to say that he is offically the third wheel in that great sports town Miami.....

I've noticed over the years, players don't want to go to NY anymore.. It doesn't have the appeal it once had.. Especially leagues that have a salary cap.. The only players going to the Yankees, I mean NY are baseball players.. They get overpaid and don't have a salary cap to worry about..

If money is equal, where would I want to go? NY or Miami?? Miami for a bunch of reasons

1. less taxes
    2. better team
    3. no NY media
    4. better climate
    5. hotter chicks (he's not married)

I could go on and on but the reality is NY, is a stop over now for most athletes..