Yankees on brink of landing Cliff Lee

Yankees on brink of landing Cliff Lee

Yankees Blog

By JOEL SHERMAN
    Last Updated: 5:26 AM, July 9, 2010
    Posted: 4:01 AM, July 9, 2010
    Comments: 2 | More Print

EXCLUSIVE

The Knicks didn’t get LeBron James, but the Yankees were on the brink of obtaining Cliff Lee late last night for a package that would include top prospect Jesus Montero, the Post has learned.
    Yankees GM Brian Cashman and Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik have been in constant contact over the last week, but it was only last night that the Seattle GM told Yankee officials he wanted to move quickly, possibly before the All-Star break.
    The Yanks were not assured of obtaining Lee since other clubs such as the Mets, Twins and Rangers were in talks. But the Yanks were definitely making the strongest move last night, coming from seeming disinterest into the clear front-runner and last night it seemed they were all but certain to obtain the 31-year-old lefty.

In an odd twist, Lee is scheduled to pitch against the Yankees tonight in Seattle. Lee is 8-3 with a 2.34 ERA and an amazing 89 strikeouts to just six walks. He beat the Yankees twice in the World Series last year, the only two games the Yankees lost in the Fall Classic.
    In the offseason, the Yanks tried to make a deal with Philadelphia and offered Montero as the key piece. But the Phillies decided to take the Mariner offer instead.
    However, Seattle’s contention plans fizzled and Lee was put up for auction by the frustrated Mariners. The Mets were perceived to be more interested in the ace than the Yankees. But the Yankees adore Lee as a pitcher and had been planning to make a big push for him as a free agent anyway.
    So they decided to stay engage on this matter even as the perception in the sport grew that the Twins were the frontrunners with perhaps the Rangers close behind.
    Yankee management looked at its rotation and had some pause. CC Sabathia was again an ace and Andy Pettitte is pitching as well now as ever. But A.J. Burnett and Javier Vazquez are not fully trustworthy, especially for the playoffs, and Phil Hughes has an innings limit of about 175, and might not be available to start.
    Cashman might now be in position to either put Hughes in the bullpen to bolster that shaky area or trade a starter, possibly Vazquez, for a few prospects. It was possible that injured Double-A second baseman David Adams also was part of the deal to Seattle since he is a player the Mariners like a great deal.
    The Yanks also were obviously worried about being in a highly competitive division with the Red Sox and Rays, and Lee is the kind of player who can separate them. Having Sabathia and Lee – one-time Indians teammates – as a 1-2 punch atop the rotation turn the Yanks into even stronger favorites to repeat as champions.
    The Yanks like Montero a great deal, but they were willing to use him as bait for both Lee and Roy Halladay in the offseason. They are deep in catching prospects and could never be sure that Montero could actually make it as a catcher in the majors since that is the suspect area of the game. He is considered one of the elite hitting prospects in the minors, though he was hitting just .253 with six homers and 34 RBIs this season at Triple-A

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...#ixzz0tBRmzh5t

Jets Insider VIP
    That is awful.

All Pro
    This could be a great move. Hughes is limited so move him to the setup man in the pen for the rest of the year. Have a rotation of:
    1) CC
    2) Lee
    3) Burnett
    4) Petite
    5) Vazquesz

All League
    Would be a dumb move, IMO.

Can't wait to see all the Yankee guys around here who have been saying that Montero would become the next Mike Piazza (looking at you, Ham) to turn around and say how overrated he is and that he will become a bust once he is traded. Take that to the bank.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels View Post

Can't wait to see all the Yankee guys around here who have been saying that Montero would become the next Mike Piazza (looking at you, Ham) to turn around and say how overrated he is and that he will become a bust once he is traded. Take that to the bank.

Sorry your small market team does not have the guts, thats why you win a championship every quarter century. Jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by MetsJetsRebels View Post

Sometimes you have to pull the trigger on a deal like this......

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Sorry your small market team does not have the guts, thats why you win a championship every quarter century. Jealousy
    Guts? To trade a potential franchise 1B like Ike Davis or a young starter like Jon Niese...for a rental? That's not guts...it's stupidity.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    Guts? To trade a potential franchise 1B like Ike Davis or a young starter like Jon Niese...for a rental? That's not guts...it's stupidity.
    Yes that team got a great track record knowing young talent look at there 2 championships

There is no way the Yankees are renting Cliff Lee. He will have a contract extension in place before he switches locker rooms tonight!! That would actually be pretty neat if he pitched FOR the Yankees this weekend!!

Montero has the potential to be a great bat, but I've always thought Austin Romine was the better catcher prospect because of his defense. Romine can hit too, just not at Monetero's level.

I like the potential move, I wanted the Yanks to try and move Montero to the OF, Yanks have too much talent in the farm at catcher, and Romine is that player. They won't need a big bat anytime soon in this Yankee line-up with Tex, A-Rod, and Cano not going anywhere anytime soon. I can see them going after a Jason Werth type player in the next year or two.

Gardner's emergence this year, I think, makes a move for Crawford questionable, I'd rather they go after Werth, he'd be a better fit.

Lee on this staff makes us almost unbeatable.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Yes that team got a great track record knowing young talent look at there 2 championships
    That is a laughable argument pinning the mets nearly 50 year history on the 5 year reign of Omar Minaya. You may as well argue that was Brian Cashman who drafted/kept the core of your roster. For one thing, the yankees are on a different planet with respect to outspending their mistakes. This much cannot be debated. For another, the mets have been blasted for years for trading their prospects for crappy talent or rent-a-players. Now, they finally show restraint for GOOD prospects who are ALREADY contributing and here comes an wisecracking yankee troll crawling out of the woodwork with this tired crock. I realize most of you know what's going on here and I apologize to you...I just get tired of stupid comments like this that just plain ignore reality.

You guys have finally rebuilt your farm system because Cashman has chosen AGAINST making stupid deals like this. I don't want to hear another word about the "change in philosophy" of the yankee front office if that deal goes through. This strikes me as a deal the yankees don't need to make...at the cost of a potential future franchise catcher.
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 07-09-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yankees vs Heat for Championship of the World.

You heard it here first in 2010.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Can't fault the Yankees for making this move. I think its a concern of theirs if Lee lands with another AL contender. Tampa was in the talks as well as Minny. Yankees know first hand the power of Lee and keeping him away from others has to play a big roll.

Also Montero will eventually be a 1st baseman and Tex has that locked up. And DH will be locked up as well with Jeter eventually, maybe Arod down the line, etc..

They wont need his bat with CC, Lee and Hughes going into the future.

Rookie
    See, I don't think even Lee makes a difference for TB. That team is falling apart right now. They're at each other's throats, they're not playing well and they don't have enough consisent offense to be trusted. I don't see a single team in the AL even testing the yankees in October, and I am not even a yankees fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Can't fault the Yankees for making this move. I think its a concern of theirs if Lee lands with another AL contender. Tampa was in the talks as well as Minny. Yankees know first hand the power of Lee and keeping him away from others has to play a big roll.

Also Montero will eventually be a 1st baseman and Tex has that locked up. And DH will be locked up as well with Jeter eventually, maybe Arod down the line, etc..

They wont need his bat with CC, Lee and Hughes going into the future.
    Good points, but this is simply counter to how Cashman worked previously with Santana being available. Why give up a top prospect for a guy you can just out-bid everybody next year for? That doesn't make sense to me.

This is a personal panic move for Cashman if true. Personal, because he's had an AWFUL offseason. Every single move he made after the WS has blown up in his face. His best hope, Granderson, has been worse than he was in Detroit.

All Pro
    That is a laughable argument pinning the mets nearly 50 year history on the 5 year reign of Omar Minaya. You may as well argue that was Brian Cashman who drafted/kept the core of your roster. For one thing, the yankees are on a different planet with respect to outspending their mistakes. This much cannot be debated. For another, the mets have been blasted for years for trading their prospects for crappy talent or rent-a-players. Now, they finally show restraint for GOOD prospects who are ALREADY contributing and here comes an wisecracking yankee troll crawling out of the woodwork with this tired crock. I realize most of you know what's going on here and I apologize to you...I just get tired of stupid comments like this that just plain ignore reality.

You guys have finally rebuilt your farm system because Cashman has chosen AGAINST making stupid deals like this. I don't want to hear another word about the "change in philosophy" of the yankee front office if that deal goes through. This strikes me as a deal the yankees don't need to make...at the cost of a potential future franchise catcher.
    Yes the Mets can't spend because they can't market their product because they are a small market team.

See, your last statement says it all.."potential". No one has any idea what Montero will bring to the bigs...they may think or hope to know, but a prospect is always suspect. With Lee, you already know this is a franchise pitcher.

Like I said in the other thread, every insider I hear the Yankees view Romine as the future catcher not Montero, he would have to play another position.

If we get Lee and get him to a extension and not have to bid on him, that would be a bonus to this.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, every insider I hear the Yankees view Romine as the future catcher not Montero, he would have to play another position.

If we get Lee and get him to a extension and not have to bid on him, that would be a bonus to this.
    Lee is going to have a bidding process, regardless what team he is traded to

Oh noooooooooooooooooooo