Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis prepared to skip training campp

Jets Insider VIP

Revis prepared to skip training campp

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/07/darrelle-revis-prepared-to-hol.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nydnrss/blogs/jets+(Blogs/The+Jet+Stream[/url])

The odds that Darrelle Revis will be a no-show when veterans are scheduled to report to Cortland on Aug. 1 for the start of training camp grow with each passing day. The All-Pro cornerback is fully prepared to sit out if he doesn’t have a reworked deal by the start of camp, according to sources.

Simply put, Revis isn’t bluffing.

The 30-day rule isn’t a concern, either. In other words, Revis will hold out beyond Aug. 10 and risk losing an accrued year toward free agency if there’s no new deal, according to sources.

There’s been no progress in the negotiations in the past few weeks.

D’Brickashaw Ferguson, of course, became the first of the Jets' four core players along with Revis, Nick Mangold and David Harris, to sign an extension. The Pro Bowl left tackle signed a reported 6-year, $60 million extension yesterday.

In total, Ferguson received a reported $34.8 million in guaranteed money. Credit ProFootballTalk.com for closely examining Ferguson’s contract and uncovering the specifics of the deal.

In essence, Ferguson is guaranteed only $5.32 million through the end of 2010. If he suffered a career-ending injury this season, he won’t see another penny. If he suffered a serious injury like Leon Washington, for example, this season, the Jets could conceivably rip up his contract, sign him for a lesser amount or cut ties altogether. Ferguson will get more than $22 million in guaranteed money if he remains healthy through 2010.

There’s also some unrealistic landmarks in the deal like this: Ferguson will earn $1.3 million in incentives if he takes part in at least 97 percent of the special teams plays in 2015 and 2016 and blocks at least seven punts in each of those years. More details of the contract can be found here.

So, what does Ferguson’s deal mean for Revis, who has three years remaining on his six-year rookie contract?

Not much.

Here’s the player you need to keep an eye on: Peyton Manning.

Let’s explain.

Manning, who is entering the final year of a 7-year, $99.2 million contract ($34.5 million signing bonus), could command in excess of $25 million a year. His guaranteed money could reach $50 million.

Why does this matter for Revis?

Well, several league sources I spoke to believe a top cornerback is worth 75-80 percent of a top quarterback. Manning is scheduled to earn $15.8 million in 2010. The 75-80 percent model would yield $11.9- $12.6 million a year for the top cornerback.

Revis, of course, is looking to become the league’s highest paid corner, which would mean around $15-16 million a year with a good chunk of fully guaranteed money.

Peyton Manning’s negotiations, however, are also proceeding at a slow pace due to the uncertainty surrounding the collective bargaining agreement. The Colts could slap the franchise tag on Manning after the season, but it appears that ownership is willing to work out a deal. But how long will it take?

Manning’s deal could have a real impact on Revis’ contract. If the four-time MVP signs a deal for $25 million a year, it might be easier for the Jets to justify paying Revis the $16 million (or 64 percent of Manning’s average annual salary) he desires. Revis would also get a spike in the corresponding guaranteed money.

Although Revis remains hopeful that a new deal will be worked out in the next few weeks, he has a definite plan if the negotiations don't progress.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on twitter at [url]http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream[/url]

Manish Mehta may also be reached at [email]mmehta@nydailynews.com[/email].

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/07/darrelle-revis-prepared-to-hol.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nydnrss/blogs/jets+(Blogs/The+Jet+Stream)#ixzz0tCQsftJj[/url]

All League
    Nothing really new here. I don't necessarily buy the 75-80% relationship between QB's and CB's salaries.

Question: if Revis holds out training camp, is it then realistically possible that he doesn't play in some regular season games?

Jets Insider VIP
    My only concern: Kyle Wilson hasn't signed and I bet his agent is using the Revis situation to try to drive up the price. "Hey Jets, you may not have your starting CB in Revis, Kyle expects to be paid as a starter since he may end up in that role a lot sooner than you thought. How do you go into the season with no Revis and no Wilson?"

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=MCBNY;3642523]Nothing really new here. I don't necessarily buy the 75-80% relationship between QB's and CB's salaries.

Question: if Revis holds out training camp, is it then realistically possible that he doesn't play in some regular season games?[/QUOTE]

Revis is so key to the special scheme nature of the Jets defense that I find it hard to believe the Jets won't get something done to satisfy him.

[QUOTE=MCBNY;3642523]Nothing really new here. I don't necessarily buy the 75-80% relationship between QB's and CB's salaries.

Question: if Revis holds out training camp, is it then realistically possible that he doesn't play in some regular season games?[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't surprise me and here is why: Up until this year, week 10 was always the D-Day for holdouts. That was the week a player needed to be signed or risk losing his accrued free agency eligibility. While this may still be true for players that aren't under contract, the D-Day for players under contract is August 7th. Simply put, although he'll risk game day checks, its not like he's risking free agency eligibility if he were to hold out the entire year (as his uncle did, so there is precedent).

I really hope it doesn't come to that, but it doesn't seem like either side is willing to budge. The Jets don't want to (or possibly can't with the CBA) give the guranteed money that would be needed for middle ground, and Revis doesn't want to play for a penny less than what Aso is making (which I'd be stunned if he wound up getting even under the best of circumstances).

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3642527]My only concern: Kyle Wilson hasn't signed and I bet his agent is using the Revis situation to try to drive up the price. "Hey Jets, you may not have your starting CB in Revis, Kyle expects to be paid as a starter since he may end up in that role a lot sooner than you thought. How do you go into the season with no Revis and no Wilson?"

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I really wouldn't worry about that. Not one first rounder has been signed yet, and if I'm correct, Ducasse is the only second rounder that has signed.

All League
    let him sit; what ever happened to honoring a contract? I cold see him pushing if he were on the last year of the existing one, but he signed the 6 year gig. No one twisted his arm then. This is about another overblown ego.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

While I've been pretty vocal about how unreasonable Revis 's stance has been and how he needs to temper his expectations in order to get a deal done, I still love the guy. I don't hold anything against a player trying to maximize his take. The NFL stands for Not For Long in most instances and its totally legit for players to view this as a business.

I ignore most of what I hear from the players because its fluff.

But, if he pulls a camp holdout and doesn't show up and pushes towards the season, I'll have a real issue with him. If its truly important to get a deal done, he needs to meet the Jets in the middle. If its truly important to get the biggest deal ever, he needs to wait til 2012. If he wants a very nice deal that will provide family security for several generations, he can attain that quite easily.

I'm really starting to believe in that this is all some kind of stunt for Hard Knocks.

Jets Insider VIP
    how much does our version of selfish LeBum get fined a day for sitting out? I think it adds up to big bucks and he's told us that he needs all that money to feed his family and all

He can hold out and the Jets have the right to fine him and not negotiate until he comes back to work. I really dont think holding out is going to change the contract that he gets in the end. We'll see.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3642527]My only concern: Kyle Wilson hasn't signed and I bet his agent is using the Revis situation to try to drive up the price. "Hey Jets, you may not have your starting CB in Revis, Kyle expects to be paid as a starter since he may end up in that role a lot sooner than you thought. How do you go into the season with no Revis and no Wilson?"

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Draft picks are basically given their amount of money based on slot... He could drive for a couple more hundred thousand than his slot should get based on percentages, but either way it's not a significant amount of money.

Wilson will be in camp... No real relation between his deal and Revis.

Hope they get the Revis deal done, it's likely that Tannenbaum has a budget for the 4 important guys and is trying to do everything he can to bring all 4 back.

A hold out may be good actually. Revis has held out before and it not been an issue. He knows the defense inside and out. It would give Wilson a good deal of work that he wouldn't normally get otherwise.

Jets Insider VIP
    take a cue from lebron. he has the right to be the highest paid player in the league but guys like Amare and Joe Johnson will now be making more then him.

Darelle, take a little less to be with a winner. Dont make Tanny ship you to detroit for 2 1st rounders.

Hall Of Fame
    At some point the answer to Revis needs to be "do what you have to do". Frankly that point is now in my opinion. This selective leaking sh1t gets old.

[QUOTE=EM31;3642602]At some point the answer to Revis needs to be "do what you have to do". Frankly that point is now in my opinion. This selective leaking sh1t gets old.[/QUOTE]

+1

I'm tired of hearing about this. Shut up and play football or shut up and don't. Either way, I'm tired of hearing it.

siad it before. he signed a contract and it has 3 more years left. he was the one who wanted the 6 years. on this basis, tough. he is probably upset his salary is only 1M or so this season and will have to wait until next to score the balance on the contract. again tough. let him sit and when he comes back, assuming he is still in shape, let him play. corners don't need the same degree of team interaction that linemen or running backs or qb's need.

All League
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3642605]siad it before. he signed a contract and it has 3 more years left. he was the one who wanted the 6 years. on this basis, tough. he is probably upset his salary is only 1M or so this season and will have to wait until next to score the balance on the contract. again tough. let him sit and when he comes back, assuming he is still in shape, let him play. corners don't need the same degree of team interaction that linemen or running backs or qb's need.[/QUOTE]

No, the Jets were the ones who wanted 6 years. Revis only wanted 5.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    NY Jets > Darelle Revis

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=MCBNY;3642611]No, the Jets were the ones who wanted 6 years. Revis only wanted 5.[/QUOTE]

Then Revis shouldn't have agreed and signed the contract..The last 2 years are worth 20 million I think on the buy out.. If he holds out that provision is voided..

Rookie
    [QUOTE=MCBNY;3642611]No, the Jets were the ones who wanted 6 years. Revis only wanted 5.[/QUOTE]

I think the Jets wanted 5 or 6, and Revis wanted 4. The Jets then gave him 4, but with the buyback option that the Jets could lock him in for years 5 and 6.

I think I am correct, but can someone clarify?