Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Players Crying about Contracts

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Players Crying about Contracts

After the disgusting LeBron James spectacle, I am sick of hearing from Revis and Mangold how they are upset with their current contracts. If they didn't like the contracts, they didn't have to sign them.

Revis - quit crying like a ***** and show up for your job. If you are "that good," you'll get an even better deal next year.

Mangold - you are a freaking center. Be happy you are getting paid what your are. Although you are a very good one, center is not a highly paid position. If you look at offensive lineman salaries across the league, there is a definite pecking order with respect to pay.
    1. Left Tackle
    2. Right Tackle
    3. Guard
    4. Center.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Digetydog;3642624]After the disgusting LeBron James spectacle, I am sick of hearing from Revis and Mangold how they are upset with their current contracts. If they didn't like the contracts, they didn't have to sign them.

Revis - quit crying like a ***** and show up for your job. If you are "that good," you'll get an even better deal next year.

Mangold - you are a freaking center. Be happy you are getting paid what your are. Although you are a very good one, center is not a highly paid position. If you look at offensive lineman salaries across the league, there is a definite pecking order with respect to pay.
    1. Left Tackle
    2. Right Tackle
    3. Guard
    4. Center.[/QUOTE]

Mangold in 4 years so far has made less then 1/2 of what Revis had made in 3 so he has more of a reason for tears..:yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    these crybabies need to go out and get a real job making $50000 per year then talk to me. try not being able to pay the rent or electric.

a$$holes.

Trade Revis to Oakland or Tampa for #1's, I am tired of listening to his beeatch whining

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree when you are discussing guys in their rookie contracts. They have zero leverage and essentially have to take what the team offers them as rookies.

On the other hand when a jacka$$ is crying about renegotiating a veteran deal early, I have no sympathy at all.

Take Brady for instance

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;3642633]these crybabies need to go out and get a real job making $50000 per year then talk to me. try not being able to pay the rent or electric.

a$$holes.
    [/QUOTE]Yeah, anyone making more than $50k is evil and needs to eat dirt in order to see how the real people live. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3642637]I disagree when you are discussing guys in their rookie contracts. [B]They have zero leverage and essentially have to take what the team offers them as rookies.[/B]

On the other hand when a jacka$$ is crying about renegotiating a veteran deal early, I have no sympathy at all.

Take Brady for instance[/QUOTE]

is this why a rookie contract for a left tackle in the NFL is 5 years 58 million?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;3642633]these crybabies need to go out and get a real job making $50000 per year then talk to me. try not being able to pay the rent or electric.

a$$holes.
    [/QUOTE]

when the 50k a year person retires, do they have debilitating after effects like CTE?

if the 50k a year person is sick, does the boss show up to their house with a team of doctors, who inject the person with whatever it takes to get them to work?

does the 50k a year person have to perform their job in front of millions of onlookers?

these dudes earn every penny they make. Even so called busts like Jamarcus Russell earn it... it's hazard pay.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;3642639]Yeah, anyone making more than $50k is evil and needs to eat dirt in order to see how the real people live. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How would you know anything about making $50K anyway? They don't pay that much at Mickey D's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;3642646]How would you know anything about making $50K anyway? They don't pay that much at Mickey D's.[/QUOTE]

wow, that's a zinger...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;3642646]How would you know anything about making $50K anyway? They don't pay that much at Mickey D's.[/QUOTE]Clearly my pay at McDonald's doesn't afford me the luxury dirt you're eating. Maybe you can get a "real job" at $7.50/hr and then talk to me? :yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3642642]when the 50k a year person retires, do they have debilitating after effects like CTE?

if the 50k a year person is sick, does the boss show up to their house with a team of doctors, who inject the person with whatever it takes to get them to work?

does the 50k a year person have to perform their job in front of millions of onlookers?

these dudes earn every penny they make. Even so called busts like Jamarcus Russell earn it... it's hazard pay.[/QUOTE]

Sorry dude - disagree completely, I don't believe anyone playing pro sports is actually earning every penny in the enormous contracts.

At 5 mill a year that is 100 times as much as someone making 50k, that means it would take me 100 years to make as much as one of these guys make for 1 year. 100 years for 1 year.

I work in IT on the internet - millions of people see my work.

If I'm sick you bet your ass my boss at least calls me, and tries to push sudafed or whatever on me to get me to the office.

The stress of being in my industry could just as easily take my life early as one of these jocks.

I'm not saying my job is harder, but brick's job is not 100 times harder than mine - he gets an offseason, I get 2 weeks if I'm lucky - I'm sure his health plan is better than mine too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

People Crying about Players Crying about Contracts

It's a negotiating tool, and it's a part of the business. There is nothing wrong with these players trying to get as much money as they can as quickly as possible. Taking their case to the media is their best option out of very few choices. Put yourself in their shoes.

I am far from a Revis sympathizer, but I can see the situation from his point of view. Eventually he will crack and meet the Jets in the middle, but he's trying to get as much leverage as possible, and there's nothing wrong with that. Until he actually starts holding out (very unlikely given the amount of guaranteed money he would be give up during his buyback years), it's all just hot air.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan_toronto_canada;3642655]Sorry dude - disagree completely, I don't believe anyone playing pro sports is actually earning every penny in the enormous contracts.

At 5 mill a year that is 100 times as much as someone making 50k, that means it would take me 100 years to make as much as one of these guys make for 1 year. 100 years for 1 year.

I work in IT on the internet - millions of people see my work.

If I'm sick you bet your ass my boss at least calls me, and tries to push sudafed or whatever on me to get me to the office.

The stress of being in my industry could just as easily take my life early as one of these jocks.

I'm not saying my job is harder, but brick's job is not 100 times harder than mine - he gets an offseason, I get 2 weeks if I'm lucky - I'm sure his health plan is better than mine too.[/QUOTE]

+1

Work in IT as a permanent temporary employee (IE contracts) and then tell me that the stress of that situation isn't taking years off your life. Especially when you're facing outsourcing, layoffs, and 6+ months of unemployment every other year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    dudes cmon. I work in IT too. It's nothing like life in the NFL. no one calls IT "the meat grinder" no one gets their joints drained before a hard day's coding. Revis doesn't post on message boards while he's covering ANdre Johnson man to man.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3642700]dudes cmon. I work in IT too. It's nothing like life in the NFL. no one calls IT "the meat grinder" no one gets their joints drained before a hard day's coding. Revis doesn't post on message boards while he's covering ANdre Johnson man to man.[/QUOTE]

No fair I'm off today! But as you must know IT you are actually NEVER off.

I'm not saying IT is harder, but football is not 100 times harder - thats all I'm saying.

Revis does not have to be up at 2am tonight to do a mission critical server migration of 1000+ live sites and 8 TB of data either.

Just sayin, 100 times harder my ass. I'll even give him 10 times harder, but not 100.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3642700]dudes cmon. I work in IT too. It's nothing like life in the NFL. no one calls IT "the meat grinder" no one gets their joints drained before a hard day's coding. Revis doesn't post on message boards while he's covering ANdre Johnson man to man.[/QUOTE]

And Revis "works" 3hrs, 16 times a year, for a grand total of 48hrs per year. He wants 16 mil per year, for a whooping 333K per hour. Not bad. And here the jets probably want to pay him a mere 250K per hr. I can see where he has a case. :rolleyes:

Lets put this in perspective.. If the average Joe makes 75K per year (probably high), and works from the age of 20 until he is 65, he will have made almost 3.4 million in his lifetime. Revis wants to make 4 million in 4 games. The Jets are probably offering around 3 million for 4 games.

This is 1 months work vs a lifetime! get real!
    Last edited by GandWFan; 07-09-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: mo stuff

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

i kind of agree with this. my friend went to work for the military in Iraq as a computer geek...his salary...150k...plus 400k hazard pay...some people are just willing to do things others aren't.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard that those crab fisherman on Deadliest Catch have more deaths per year than any other industry. They are now watched by millions of people doing something nobody else can do or wants to do or both....some how I doubt they are making millions of dollars a year. I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but i think making an argument that NFL players get so much money because their jobs are so much harder than everyone elses is a bit disengenious. I'm sure players in the 50s had it a lot harder and didn't have nearly the safety equipment of todays players. Some of the stars in that era worked second jobs. Again, I realize times have changed and football in the 50s can't be compared to today, but still, making it seem like these players are treated like cows led to slaughter is a bit of a stretch. Policeman, fireman and school teachers are the most underappreciated and underpaid members of society.

DISCLAIMER: The above is simply my opinion. I have no facts, real life stories, reports, surveys or otherwise to qualify any of the above. The post is for entertainment purposes only. No guarantees as to accuracy are implied or expressed. Your results may vary.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3642700]dudes cmon. I work in IT too. It's nothing like life in the NFL. no one calls IT "the meat grinder" no one gets their joints drained before a hard day's coding. Revis doesn't post on message boards while he's covering ANdre Johnson man to man.[/QUOTE]I have some pretty nasty tendonitis in my right thumb. :(
    [QUOTE=TPAJETSKI;3642721]Policeman, fireman and school teachers are the most underappreciated and underpaid members of society.[/QUOTE]Possibly. New Jersey state troopers are the highest paid in the nation. They can make serious bank with a little seniority.
    Last edited by ozu; 07-09-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ozu;3642722]I have some pretty nasty tendonitis in my right thumb. :(
    Possibly. New Jersey state troopers are the highest paid in the nation. They can make serious bank with a little seniority.[/QUOTE]

To me they would deserve even more. We just had two police gunned down and killed last week in Tampa, so maybe I'm hypersensitive at the moment, but whatever those troopers are getting paid, it's not enough.