Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee to the Rangers..."done deal"

Cliff Lee to the Rangers..."done deal"

Sherman:

i have learned deal done with #Rangers, Smoak and 3 others for Lee and reliever Mark Lowe #Rangers, #Mariners
    What a day.

Veteran

KenDavidoff

Yankees are frustrated over the Lee developments. “Ever heard of someone (Adams) not coming back from an ankle sprain?”
    LOL...

lol, the Yankees will attempt to bomb this deal out of spite.

Hilarious.

All Pro
    Does anyone know who the other 3 prospects the Rangers traded to the M's?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    MARK IT DOWN

The Mariners will rue the day they passed on Jesus Montero

They will rue the day they fell for the oldest trick in the book, Quantity over Quality

They will rue the day they passed on the BEST PLAYER (Montero) in either package (Yanks or Texas) by a country mile
    Yeah, and add to that, the Rangers will rue the day they made this trade when the Yanks sign him in the offseason anyways

Texas is o.k.As long as he didn't wind up in Tampa

Look of course having Lee would be great,but I think a bigger need are some bats,bench depth,bullpen.I think the starting pitching is fine.

And the Yanks can go after Lee in the offseason

http://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN

The Yankees and Mariners had actually had an agreement-in-principle, based on the physicals -- and SEA stepped away, which is all fair game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Nevermind.
    Last edited by crasherino; 07-09-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Yankees don't come off well here. Cashman wanted Lee, and was willing to deal Montero for him. Now we may have a disgruntled catcher in the minors and a pitching (in Javy Vazquez) in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't know anything about the Yankees two other prospects but its hard to see how the Rangers package isn't better than the Yankees one.

Montero is a top tier prospect. But, considering he won't be a catcher for all that long, he's not all that more highly rated than Smoak. Plus, they got two top arms in Scheppers and Perez.

Short of Steven Strasburg, there's no guarantee of prospects success in the minors. These guys are hyped so much in the minors and once they get promoted they seem to struggle quite a bit. For every prospect who lives up to their reputation, there are 3 guys who don't. Guys like Montero, Alvarez, Smoak and others have all the talent in the world, but until we see them put it together, there's no guarantee of anything.
    Bull..you got a link?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Yankees don't come off well here. Cashman wanted Lee, and was willing to deal Montero for him. Now we may have a disgruntled catcher in the minors and a pitching (in Javy Vazquez) in the majors.
    There was never any trade whatsoever involving Javy, just pure speculation.

Montero knows he'll be the subject of trade talks and negotiations, that comes with being a prospect for the Yanks. Its up to him to make them have to keep him and he'll know that.

He won't be pissed, that's just silly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Bull..you got a link?
    Wait, didn't I read that in the other thread? That's where I got it from.

Buster Olney

Heard this: SEA is kicking in $2.5 million in order to help offset the $4 million owed to Lee. In return, Texas gave a better package of prospects besides Smoak.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Wait, didn't I read that in the other thread? That's where I got it from.
    I named their top 3 prospects. That's all...

This is why the Mariners haven't won a WS title, they aren't a well run team. Smoak is not as good of a prospect as Montero.

Hes 23 years old and his minor league career as a hitter is not close to Montero and hes a first baseman.

I have to admit, today sucks. I said from the beginning that we won't trade for Lee, but this whole thing got me excited that we were getting Lee a year earlier.

Lee is a LOCK to sign with the Yankees after this season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I named their top 3 prospects. That's all...
    My bad - I read through that other one way too fast. I saw their names twice and thought it was posted from a twitter update.

Well, you have to admit, that would be a helluva a haul, huh?

I'll delete my post.

It's pretty obviously the Yankees were used...oh well. We'll get last laugh when we win the WS this year, keep Montero, and sign Cliff Lee after the season.

Montero is still a top 5 prospect by Baseball America... Midseason report.

5. Jesus Montero, c/dh, Yankees (Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre): Montero hasn't improved this year, and for some he hasn't impressed. After generating positive defensive trends and reports at the end of 2009 at Double-A Trenton, Montero has convinced scouts this year that he won't be a long-term catcher. He was leading the International League with 12 passed balls and was getting run on at will--87 attempts in 63 games, throwing out 19 (22 percent). He's experiencing his first adversity offensively, but scouts are confident his bat will still be strong.

Austin Romine made top 50 too.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 07-09-2010 at 05:26 PM.

http://twitter.com/LoneStarDugout/status/18148000276

It looks like RHP Blake Beavan, RHP Josh Lueke, and 2B Matt Lawson are the three prospects going to Seattle.