Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannizarro for Jets beat on Sirius

Cannizarro for Jets beat on Sirius

Mark Cannizarro was on the Sirius NFL radio the other day for Jets beat. Obviously, the topic for discussion was the signing of Brick and how it relates to Mangold, Harris, and Revis. Mark's take is this:

1) He believes there is a distinct possibility Revis could hold out. However, he also says that Revis understands his place on the team. Revis knows he's a leader on the team. He believes that because Revis believes he has a responsibility as a leader, that any holdout he followed through with would be short term. Revis believes that any type of long term holdout would send the wrong message to the rest of the team. This is something Revis wants to avoid. Mark claims that Sean Gilbert is in fact a huge advisor in his life and probably has the MOST influence in what Revis ultimately does. He added that Revis is still consulting his family for advice on his contract situation.

2) Mark said he would be SHOCKED if Mangold opted to hold out. Mangold just isn't that kind of person. Mangold embraces his leadership role with the team and just couldn't see himself holding out ever.

3) David Harris has been very quiet through all of this. He wants a new long term deal, but knows he has to wait for other things to happen before he starts any negotiations (Revis, Mangold).

What I ultimately came away believing was this:

1) There's NO way the Jets and Revis will reach a contract agreement before August 1st. Mark expressed ZERO confidence in that ever happening. They are very far apart in terms of an agreement.

2) I believe Revis probably will hold out for some period of time. However, I DO NOT believe this will become some sort of long term issue. Any hold out will be short term in duration. Revis knows he's a leader and he wants to follow through with his responsibilities as a leader for the team.

3) The Jets are HOPING that because we have so many "good guys" on our team; Revis, Harris, Mangold, Brick, etc. that feel as though holding out long term would be the wrong approach. All of these guys love the game of football and do not like to miss ANY time. They also all acknowledge there leadership role for the younger players and do not want to shirk there responsibilities from that standpoint. So the Jets are hoping that will ultimately compel them to show up, keep their mouths shut, and not complain or become a distraction. Mark almost acknowledged the Jets would be taking advantage of the good guys on the team.

4) It would be irresponsible for me not to mention that the Jets are in a very hard spot right now. With the uncertainty surrounding the CBA, the Jets need to act responsibly to avoid any massive cap casualties once a new CBA agreement is signed. They MUST keep there salaries in line not even knowing what type of salary cap will be reached.

Because this post pertains to multiple contract fronts and not just Revis, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Thanks for posting.

As for Harris being quiet through all this. It seems that is just the type of person Harris is. He's quiet and lets his play talk for him.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3643189]Thanks for posting.

As for Harris being quiet through all this. It seems that is just the type of person Harris is. He's quiet and lets his play talk for him.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But it should be mentioned also that Mangold has only laid "hints" of discontent when talking to the press. He's also being every bit the good soldier that Harris is. I would put Mangold and Harris in the very same boat.

Although I cannot put Revis in the same boat as Harris and Mangold, I do believe there is a very good side to Revis. He's not all about holding the Jets hostage just to get what he wants. He is far from a TO type of player.

Good post, thanks for the info.

Lets hope this ends up well for the team and players.

[QUOTE=LV2;3643201]Good post, thanks for the info.

[B]Lets hope this ends up well for the team and players[/B].[/QUOTE]

That statement kind of says it all for me. That is exactly the way I feel.

There's a lot of people here, including myself, that sometimes think it would be so easy to do the Jets jobs better than the current people. However, I'll just say up front there really aren't any easy answers in regards to these contract negotiations. The Jets are being good guys through all of this and so are the players. There just isn't any easy solutions. Not this time.

if the new cap is smaller than the old cap i'll eat my shoes.

Jets Insider VIP
    whew

for a second when I looked at the thread I thought Canizzaro had left the Post for Sirius and we would be stuck with Barf Hubbecch for the entire season

All League
    I'm sorry to say that I think MC is pretty much right on the mark on this. I can see both Mangold and Revis holding out, but I don't see it being long term. By August 1st the Jets should have their full compliment on the field. I only hope the Pats can say the same.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3643229]I'm sorry to say that I think MC is pretty much right on the mark on this. I can see both Mangold and Revis holding out, but I don't see it being long term. By August 1st the Jets should have their full compliment on the field. I only hope the Pats can say the same.[/QUOTE]

but wait, ken

Cannizzaro said he "would be shocked if Mangold holds out" So if you think he is "right on the mark", then your summary -- "I can see both Mangold and Revis holding out" is "right OFF the mark"

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3643229]I'm sorry to say that I think MC is pretty much right on the mark on this. I can see both Mangold and Revis holding out, but I don't see it being long term. By August 1st the Jets should have their full compliment on the field. I only hope the Pats can say the same.[/QUOTE]

Well since the Vets don't report till July 29th what will a couple of days hold out prove??:confused:

thanks for posting this MaineJet. Good job. I agree w/you and Mark C.

All Pro
    Is it just typical Jets luck that even with being blessed with a free spending owner, we have 4 must-sign players at the same time, with no clear CBA picture for the first time in over 15 years? Is there another etam even close to our suituation?

I say trade them to Oakland or TOB and let them languish in losses..

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;3643254]Is it just typical Jets luck that even with being blessed with a free spending owner, we have 4 must-sign players at the same time, with no clear CBA picture for the first time in over 15 years? Is there another etam even close to our suituation?[/QUOTE]

Mangold was the only one that needed a new deal this offseason, as he's the only one on the last year of his current contract. The Jets chose to approach Revis after the Indy game and told him they wanted to get a new deal done. They chose to extend D'Brick a year earlier than they had to. So here we are.

I think the Jets thought they were being proactive by approaching Revis and the other core 4 early. I they maybe they thought they would make out well and get a bit of a discount by resigning them early and ripping up their original deals. Apparently, that just isn't the case. NONE of these players are offering any kind of discount to my knowledge. It was a calculated tactic that blew up in their face.

Still, I think the Jets hearts are in the right place with all of this. They didn't have to offer to sign anyone of these players early except for Mangold; he was due. They wanted to do it for those players. It shows that they want to take care of their own when they are deserving.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3643236]Well since the Vets don't report till July 29th what will a couple of days hold out prove??:confused:[/QUOTE]

The veterans report July 29th through July 30th. The start of training camp is August 1st. So July 29th is sort of irrelevant. August 1st, the start of training camp, is the date all of us need to be concerned with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3643187]Mark Cannizarro was on the Sirius NFL radio the other day for Jets beat. Obviously, the topic for discussion was the signing of Brick and how it relates to Mangold, Harris, and Revis. Mark's take is this:

1) He believes there is a distinct possibility Revis could hold out. However, he also says that Revis understands his place on the team. Revis knows he's a leader on the team. He believes that because Revis believes he has a responsibility as a leader, that any holdout he followed through with would be short term. Revis believes that any type of long term holdout would send the wrong message to the rest of the team. This is something Revis wants to avoid. Mark claims that Sean Gilbert is in fact a huge advisor in his life and probably has the MOST influence in what Revis ultimately does. He added that Revis is still consulting his family for advice on his contract situation.

Because this post pertains to multiple contract fronts and not just Revis, I thought it deserved it's own thread.[/QUOTE]

[B] He believes that because Revis believes he has a responsibility as a leader, that any holdout he followed through with would be short term.[/B]
    If that's the case why hold out at all?? He already pulled his I'll hold my breath till I get dizzy baby routine in the mini camp.. If he was any kind of man he would say here's the deal, you either give me the contract I want :deal: Otherwise I'll honor my contract for the last 3 years for the chump change 21 million and go to another team like my home town Steelers that will be happy to give me 16 or 18 million a year.. :nana:
    Last edited by Savage69; 07-10-2010 at 05:06 PM.

me too but there is every reason to think it won't have as much escalation as in the past. the players have to know this and that's why the longer this all drags out the more of a chance for a strike in 2011.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3643220]if the new cap is smaller than the old cap i'll eat my shoes.[/QUOTE]

does anyone really think he will get 16-18 M from the steelers? maybe jerry jones or dan snyder but failing those guys, the money just isn't there.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3643360][B] He believes that because Revis believes he has a responsibility as a leader, that any holdout he followed through with would be short term.[/B]
    If that's the case why hold out at all?? He already pulled his I'll hold my breath till I get dizzy baby routine in the mini camp.. If he was any kind of man he would say here's the deal, you either give me the contract I want :deal: Otherwise I'll honor my contract for the last 3 years for the chump change 21 million and go to another team like my home town Steelers that will be happy to give me 16 or 18 million a year.. :nana:[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;3643385]does anyone really think he will get 16-18 M from the steelers? maybe jerry jones or dan snyder but failing those guys, the money just isn't there.[/QUOTE]

That was in jest on my part.. Revis and some others think he is the only key to a team making the playoffs and is good for 3 or 4 wins just by himself..:yes: As Bit and others put it players like Revis come around maybe once in a lifetime so worship him while you can..:worship: