Thread: Auction Fantasy Leagues

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Auction Fantasy Leagues

Anyone ever do an Auction before? Our league is doing it for the first time this year, and I'm curious on the thoughts of doing an auction league.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't blow your load on superstars early. You don't want to be the guy who spends all his money on the guy who's on the cover of Madden (Drew Brees this yr btw) and ends up fighting to stay out of last place. Try to spread out your money on mid-level fantasy players some of whom usually end up having great years.

I'm buying Braylon Edwards on the cheap this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Don't blow your load on superstars early. You don't want to be the guy who spends all his money on the guy who's on the cover of Madden (Drew Brees this yr btw) and ends up fighting to stay out of last place. Try to spread out your money on mid-level fantasy players some of whom usually end up having great years.

you can't expect Braylon to be consistent. Every week I see a different guy being the star, Cotch, Keller, Greene, LT, and Holmes. There is only one football.

Never done an auction league, doesn't really interest me. However, my big money league is switching to a keeper league, which should be pretty interesting.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love auction leagues.

Lot of strategy involved. You get to "nominate" players up for auction when its your turn. Always good to put a player up on the auction block who may be over the hill, or had a good season last year that is unlikely to be repeated, and then trick other players into over-paying and depleting their funds for someone like Thomas Jones.

Also, you should finish the draft with little/no money left, don't leave anything in your pocket.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily true. I've won with loading up on superstars and also by doing as you said. The draft is only one factor in winning a championship. Get the top free agents in weeks 1 and 2. Trade your depth for better starters. Trade guys that start off hot that you believe will drop off for proven players.

IMO, if you can pick up some late round sleepers and get some good players off the waiver wire early, then you can easily win with by loading up on 2-3 superstars.

Regarding auction drafts, they are vastly superior to snake drafts. You have to be flexible though. You can come in with certain strategies, but they can easily go out the window quickly. I've tried spending money early, hoarding money, a mixture of the two, etc. Every auction draft is different.

Be careful of passing up on the top guy or two in a tier. Often enough, people get desperate once the top guys in a tier disappear and a bidding war ensues. It's not crazy to see the MJDs and Rice's of the league go for a buck or two less than ADP and C. Johnson because people panic that they won't get a top guy. Plus some guys are just adverse to spending money early.

When you hold money, sometimes you get great steals at the end. Other times, you end up with not much talent left and you still might get one or two other teams that held their money and you end up bidding a lot for mediocre players. These auction drafts are very fluid, so be flexible.

Also, a lot of times you are looking to save a buck and then after the draft, you think to yourself that you could have had a player that you loved for a dollar or two more, but ended up with a lesser player. My advice is go get who you want (within reason).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first draft I did for this season was an auction draft. First time I've done it as well and I thought it was pretty cool. My team isn't great because I really wasn't prepared for it and only found out it was an auction draft earlier that day. I didn't take it as seriously as my other draft because it's only $10/team, while my other league was $100/team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Got him for $1 in one of the last rounds.

One of the guys in the league also had never done an auction draft and had no idea what he was doing and ended up blowing about 75% of his money on Peyton as his first pick.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 08-29-2010 at 10:52 AM.