Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice of God - Dead at age 99

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Voice of God - Dead at age 99

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/m...ory?id=5371001

Longtime New York Yankees public address announcer Bob Sheppard died early Sunday morning.

Sheppard died at his Baldwin, N.Y., home. He was 99.

Sheppard became the PA announcer at the old Yankee Stadium in 1951. He retired last year after not being able to work a game since late in the 2007 season due to illness.

Sheppard made his debut at Yankee Stadium on April 17, 1951, when New York beat Boston 5-0 on Opening Day.

He was also the stadium announcer for the NFL's New York Giants, who played at Yankee Stadium before moving to Giants Stadium, from 1956 through 2006.

Sheppard, whom Reggie Jackson nicknamed the "Voice of God" for his distinct tone, called out names from Joe DiMaggio to Mickey Mantle to Derek Jeter in his tenure at Yankee Stadium. For the final game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008, he recorded a greeting to fans and the introduction of New York's starting lineup.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phenomenal Announcer. He will be missed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    No words.

-

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simms to Bavaro..........RIP.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember something about JETER having them play a tape of Sheppard's voice when they announce him in the line up. Is that still the case?

RIP.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I remember something about JETER having them play a tape of Sheppard's voice when they announce him in the line up. Is that still the case?

RIP.
    Yep! And Jeter said as long as he plays baseball he will have Sheppard's recorded voice announcing him. As always Jeter respects baseball history.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Yep! And Jeter said as long as he plays baseball he will have Sheppard's recorded voice announcing him. As always Jeter respects baseball history.
    Thank you!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    ... it was a thing of beauty, like seeing Judy Garland step out of that house in B&W and walk into OZ in living color ... and BOB SHEPPARD was the Wizard.
    Is Suzyn Waldman the wicked witch?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    My youthful attachment to baseball died with Phil Rizzuto, because I watched him on TV or listened to him on the radio every nite, but Bob Sheppard was a big part of the experience whanever I went to the stadium.

No matter how many times I went to Yankee Stadium, I remained in awe of that building every time I came out of the tunnel and looked out over the field ... it was a thing of beauty, like seeing Judy Garland step out of that house in B&W and walk into OZ in living color ... and BOB SHEPPARD was the Wizard.

RIP Bob
    Rizzuto was awesome. As a kid I loved him - he was so quirky and scenile with his "Holy Cow" during the games. Rizzuto and Shepperd were both legends and they will always live in my heart.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    My youthful attachment to baseball died with Phil Rizzuto, because I watched him on TV or listened to him on the radio every nite, but Bob Sheppard was a big part of the experience whanever I went to the stadium.

No matter how many times I went to Yankee Stadium, I remained in awe of that building every time I came out of the tunnel and looked out over the field ... it was a thing of beauty, like seeing Judy Garland step out of that house in B&W and walk into OZ in living color ... and BOB SHEPPARD was the Wizard.

RIP Bob
    Phil, Frank Messer, Bill White...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Phil, Frank Messer, Bill White...
    Great team to do the games.

You had alot of teams with the same announcers for 30-40-50 years, now all passing on. Dodgers still got Scully though.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    That's my Yankee announcing team, 32G

Still till this day those are the people who defined my youth even more than the players!

I never felt like I knew Reggie, Gator, Thurman, Pinella, Nettles, etc ... but those guys (Phil, White and Messer) were like my friends, they were in my house every nite, seemingly having the time of their lives, and I probably heard their voices in the summer more than my own parents!

Same was true for all of my friends, nearly a day went by in the summer when we didn't spend some time laughing about what the Scooter said last nite, how White was left speechless, and Messer just wanted another Scotch!
    Ham, there was some outtake I saw where Phil screwed something up and Bill WHite lost it to the point he was nearly crying....no way you could watch it without having the same reaction, just contagious laughter.

Wish I could find it. There were many moments like those. MANY.

As you well know, New York was a much darker place during their tenure (Bronx is burning type stuff) and they were reassuring, familiar voices in the darkness.

Still remember train rides to the Old stadium with the four of us kids clinging to my moms legs in terror. She had balls and would take four small kids on the subway and then into the bleachers, in the 70's!!!

Sometimes, she would sneak us in with the COn ED kids (remember those?) so she wouldnt have to pay! lolz

Dad was always working and being an off the boat donk, not much of a baseball fan, so it was her duty to instill the baseball genes.

Great memories.
    Last edited by 32green; 07-12-2010 at 09:20 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Is Suzyn Waldman the wicked witch?
    Well she is from Boston, so yeah, its possible
    She is more than just "from Boston"....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP and God Bless

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now dead at 99, Bob Sheppard, 99....

RIP.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ham, there was some outtake I saw where Phil screwed something up and Bill WHite lost it to the point he was nearly crying....no way you could watch it without having the same reaction, just contagious laughter.

Wish I could find it. There were many moments like those. MANY.

As you well know, New York was a much darker place during their tenure (Bronx is burning type stuff) and they were reassuring, familiar voices in the darkness.

Still remember train rides to the Old stadium with the four of us kids clinging to my moms legs in terror. She had balls and would take four small kids on the subway and then into the bleachers, in the 70's!!!

Sometimes, she would sneak us in with the COn ED kids (remember those?) so she wouldnt have to pay! lolz

Dad was always working and being an off the boat donk, not much of a baseball fan, so it was her duty to instill the baseball genes.

Great memories.
    I think I know the clip you're talking about. White and Rizzuto where doing the intro at the beginning of the broadcast with the two of them standing on camera in the booth. Rizzuto opened the broadcast but got their names mixed up. He said something like "Welcome to NY Yankees baseball, I'm Bill White and this is...." At that point White was pretty much in tears.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP