Thread: espn the magazine rex ryan 4th best coach in any sport

Banned

espn the magazine rex ryan 4th best coach in any sport

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/survey_jets_ryan_th_best_coach_in_aUX7nr43f2IujhthoDAaXN[/url]

I wouldn't put anybody in the conversation for best anything after one year. Eric Mangini and Nick Saban might've been considered elite coaches after their first year.

All League
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3643745]I wouldn't put anybody in the conversation for best anything after one year. Eric Mangini and Nick Saban might've been considered elite coaches after their first year.[/QUOTE]

It was a survey- not an opinion. Rex is very popular at this time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=CW McGraw;3643745][B]I wouldn't put anybody in the conversation for best anything after one year.[/B] Eric Mangini and Nick Saban might've been considered elite coaches after their first year.[/QUOTE]

You haven't heard of the unparalleled in football History Darrelle "Show me Da Money" Revis????:eek:

All League
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3643745]I wouldn't put anybody in the conversation for best anything after one year. Eric Mangini and Nick Saban might've been considered elite coaches after their first year.[/QUOTE]

I would agree but Rex has been a top coach in the NFL for a long time now as a D Co. This is as opposed to Mangini and Saban whom both had no substantial NFL track record to speak of.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Savage69;3643767]You haven't heard of the unparalleled in football History Darrelle "Show me Da Money" Revis????:eek:[/QUOTE]

seriously.

you'd think the guy had a long illustrious career like Curtis Martin. :cool:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=shuler82;3643825]seriously.

you'd think the guy had a long illustrious career like Curtis Martin. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Right on.. lets see Revis make a Pro Bowl avg 3.5 or 3.6 ypc..:P The difference is Revis really is a rare talent where the other guy was just good and durable.. Funny thing is Martin was both Buzz and Bit's favorite player until the annointed one came along in the 07 draft..:yes:

Banned

Mangini's success in 2006 was due to an easy schedule and Chad making an excellent comeback. Most impartial observers knew that.

A great coach turns bad players into good players. Pat Riley turned a freaking CBA reject John Starks into a good, though flawed NBA player, Rex Ryan turned a scrub like Sione Pouha into a solid NFL Nose Tackle and he even made a worthless pile of crap like Eric Smith look decent.

[QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3643875]Mangini's success in 2006 was due to an easy schedule and Chad making an excellent comeback. Most impartial observers knew that.

A great coach turns bad players into good players. Pat Riley turned a freaking CBA reject John Starks into a good, though flawed NBA player, Rex Ryan turned a scrub like Sione Pouha into a solid NFL Nose Tackle and he even made a worthless pile of crap like Eric Smith look decent.[/QUOTE]

At the same time, it took him until late into the season when the Jets seemed out of the playoff hunt for him to finally rein Sanchez and the offense in. If we're ranking defensive coordinators, I'd gladly put Rex at #1, but the guy had his share of rookie mistakes as a head coach. The one that sticks out most notably to me is his refusal to use his timeouts on the Dolphins last drive on Monday Night. I'm not saying Rex is a bad coach. What I'm saying is it's tough to know how good a coach is after a single season. I didn't put Sparano, Smith, and Harbaugh in the top 10 after one year. I'm not ready to put Rex there yet either.

ESPN the magazine is the worst magazine of its type.

All Pro
    That's just dumb.

Most entertaining, sure. Win something first.