Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets being cheap?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets being cheap?

If this is accurate is it because of not knowing the cba?Or the slow sales of PSL'S

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/663/jets-spending-well-below-09-cap[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't stop bugging me about this, I am going to pull this car over! And when I pull this car over, it won't be pretty. So ask yourself: Do I want to cry because Johnny Jones says I should, or can I just hold on until Uncle Mike T gets us where we are going?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3643768]If you don't stop bugging me about this, I am going to pull this car over! And when I pull this car over, it won't be pretty. So ask yourself: Do I want to cry because Johnny Jones says I should, or can I just hold on until Uncle Mike T gets us where we are going?[/QUOTE]

+1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don't see where any team is making big splashes signing free agents etc. as for the comment about brick's guarantee, sounds like the writer is spewing without knowing the full details. is there an insurance policy on brick? and when he mentions the 24M the jets allegedly have, is he considering that kyle wilson hasn't signed yet? maybe it doesn't seem like it but the signing process has some order and tanny knows what he's doing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the PSLs, its the CBA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have plenty of money. PSLs are not the problem, its simply how much they are allowed to allocate to each player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We spend to the cap every single year. We always have since I have followed this team. We haven't always spent our money wisely but this is not a "cheap" franchise.

I think Bitonti may be the only person who is gullible enough to buy this crap. The Revis spin machine are most likely the ones who are peddling it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that is the trick. The Jets have been stupid with their money in the past. Over-hyping and then overpaying their own "stars", often by huge amounts. See Curtis Martin and the Jets bidding against themselves because, you know, he was a warrior and all. Personally I think the Revis spin machine is putting out stories that the Jets front office is cheap in order to try and induce/embarrass them into once again be stupid with their cap dollars.

F^&K you Darelle and the horse you rode in on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sheets that they are working off of do not take dead cap into account which is what the Jets are taking into account with their internal cap figures. With all the cuts and trades our actual cap charges would be right around 129M based on my own estimates. My estimates differ from the ones being reported by about 4 million, which I think is because of the way they are factoring the Ferguson deal into the numbers since I was pretty much within 500K of the legit figures just two months ago. They also dont have the Ducasse numbers in those sheets.

The authors are all incorrect about what the cap would be this season. Max would be 129, not in the 130s like they insinuate. All the writers do not take into account the fact that last years cap was so high because of an adjustment mechanism that tacked on a bunch of money due to it being the final capped season.

The Jets cash spending is low compared to 2008 and 2009. Im sure the poor sales do play some role in that, but this was the weakest free agent class in probably the last decade and the Jets were limited in who they could sign. Teams rarely sign RFA's and to think the Jets should be breaking the bank and throwing draft picks away for them is just foolish.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3643906]The sheets that they are working off of do not take dead cap into account which is what the Jets are taking into account with their internal cap figures. With all the cuts and trades our actual cap charges would be right around 129M based on my own estimates. My estimates differ from the ones being reported by about 4 million, which I think is because of the way they are factoring the Ferguson deal into the numbers since I was pretty much within 500K of the legit figures just two months ago. They also dont have the Ducasse numbers in those sheets.

The authors are all incorrect about what the cap would be this season. Max would be 129, not in the 130s like they insinuate. All the writers do not take into account the fact that last years cap was so high because of an adjustment mechanism that tacked on a bunch of money due to it being the final capped season.

The Jets cash spending is low compared to 2008 and 2009. Im sure the poor sales do play some role in that, but this was the weakest free agent class in probably the last decade and the Jets were limited in who they could sign. Teams rarely sign RFA's and to think the Jets should be breaking the bank and throwing draft picks away for them is just foolish.[/QUOTE]

ya but duude the truth doesn't sell :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3643906]The sheets that they are working off of do not take dead cap into account which is what the Jets are taking into account with their internal cap figures. With all the cuts and trades our actual cap charges would be right around 129M based on my own estimates. My estimates differ from the ones being reported by about 4 million, which I think is because of the way they are factoring the Ferguson deal into the numbers since I was pretty much within 500K of the legit figures just two months ago. They also dont have the Ducasse numbers in those sheets.

The Jets cash spending is low compared to 2008 and 2009. Im sure the poor sales do play some role in that, but this was the weakest free agent class in probably the last decade and the Jets were limited in who they could sign. Teams rarely sign RFA's and to think the Jets should be breaking the bank and throwing draft picks away for them is just foolish.[/QUOTE]
    Jason,

It is my understanding that in other years where free agents have not been attractive and where there might be cap dollars "left over" so to speak, that the Jets pretty much always rework a few deals to bring payments into the current cap year and max out their cap dollars. This is not a franchise that has ever tried to save dollars by saving cap dollars as these stories are implying.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/8124/Jets-spending-well-below-2009-cap/Default.aspx[/url]

Jets spending well below 2009 cap

Jane McManus of ESPNNewYork.com reports that the Jets are spending well below their 2009 cap. The Jets seem to be balking when it comes to giving their players guaranteed dollars. That is one of the sticking points with CB Darrelle Revis, while OL Nick Mangold and LB David Harris are limited in what they can make by a rule stipulating raises this season are limited to a 30 percent increase of their prior salary.

Despite signing D’Brickashaw Ferguson — who guaranteed money isn’t absolutely guaranteed against catastrophic injury — and Vladimir Ducasse this week, the Jets are being tight with the purse strings. Last year the salary cap was $128M, and would’ve been raised this season. But in a year where teams are not bound to any cap, the Jets have spent around $104M including Ferguson’s contract, and $5M of that is to pay former OL Alan Faneca. So even under the old salary cap the Jets would have roughly $24M to allocate among Mangold, Harris and Revis. In reality, they could pay create contracts for the remainder of their core four that would be over that cap, and not stress about it too much with several free-agent signings likely coming off the books next season.

But the Jets aren’t.

With potential training camp holdouts on the horizon on Aug. 1, the lack of spending raises questions about what the Jets' overall strategy is.A close look at D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s contract shows that the left tackle is not getting as much guaranteed money as originally reported because, after the first season, his money may not be secured against a catastrophic injury if it kept him off the roster the following season.That may not be a stipulation other players will agree to after seeing Leon Washington traded to Seattle after suffering a gruesome leg injury in a game last season.

Woody Johnson says that the Jets are a business, and that he has to run it like a business. On Wall Street that would mean bonuses for your top producers after a banner year, but the Jets seem to be following a different business model.

Training camp opens Aug. 1 in Cortland, and it’s a date that is fast approaching.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;3643996][URL]http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/8124/Jets-spending-well-below-2009-cap/Default.aspx[/URL]

Jets spending well below 2009 cap

Jane McManus of ESPNNewYork.com reports that the Jets are spending well below their 2009 cap. The Jets seem to be balking when it comes to giving their players guaranteed dollars. That is one of the sticking points with CB Darrelle Revis, while OL Nick Mangold and LB David Harris are limited in what they can make by a rule stipulating raises this season are limited to a 30 percent increase of their prior salary.

Despite signing D’Brickashaw Ferguson — who guaranteed money isn’t absolutely guaranteed against catastrophic injury — and Vladimir Ducasse this week, the Jets are being tight with the purse strings. Last year the salary cap was $128M, and would’ve been raised this season. But in a year where teams are not bound to any cap, the Jets have spent around $104M including Ferguson’s contract, and $5M of that is to pay former OL Alan Faneca. So even under the old salary cap the Jets would have roughly $24M to allocate among Mangold, Harris and Revis. In reality, they could pay create contracts for the remainder of their core four that would be over that cap, and not stress about it too much with several free-agent signings likely coming off the books next season.

But the Jets aren’t.

With potential training camp holdouts on the horizon on Aug. 1, the lack of spending raises questions about what the Jets' overall strategy is.A close look at D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s contract shows that the left tackle is not getting as much guaranteed money as originally reported because, after the first season, his money may not be secured against a catastrophic injury if it kept him off the roster the following season.That may not be a stipulation other players will agree to after seeing Leon Washington traded to Seattle after suffering a gruesome leg injury in a game last season.

Woody Johnson says that the Jets are a business, and that he has to run it like a business. On Wall Street that would mean bonuses for your top producers after a banner year, but the Jets seem to be following a different business model.

Training camp opens Aug. 1 in Cortland, and it’s a date that is fast approaching.[/QUOTE]
    But in any business you do not work out one bonus without working out all of them or at least having a plan for all of them especially if the bonus pool is a fixed amount of dollars.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read the Colts aren't doing anything for Manning yet because of the uncertainty of this coming season, but WE'RE the subject of all these articles?? WTF.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3644011]I just read the Colts aren't doing anything for Manning yet because of the uncertainty of this coming season, but WE'RE the subject of all these articles?? WTF.[/QUOTE]

The Colts also have Reggie Wayne looking for a new contract.

Hey, when you talk like Rex, Bart & the rest of the team does, the Jets are going to be talked about in every light, positively and negatively, more so than any other team. It comes with the territory of all this bravado.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3643966]Jason,

It is my understanding that in other years where free agents have not been attractive and where there might be cap dollars "left over" so to speak, that the Jets pretty much always rework a few deals to bring payments into the current cap year and max out their cap dollars. This is not a franchise that has ever tried to save dollars by saving cap dollars as these stories are implying.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what the Jets usually do, but they always leave themselves some flexibility by usually waiting at least until the end of camp to do so. Last year they did that very thing with Bart Scott and Mike DeVito right around the last week of August. In the past they have done it with Bryan Thomas, Jerricho Cotchery, and Chris Baker, but those all happened in the middle of the season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3644022]Thats exactly what the Jets usually do, but they always leave themselves some flexibility by usually waiting at least until the end of camp to do so. Last year they did that very thing with Bart Scott and Mike DeVito right around the last week of August. In the past they have done it with Bryan Thomas, Jerricho Cotchery, and Chris Baker, but those all happened in the middle of the season.[/QUOTE]

The deadline for having money hit this year's cap is sometime in October, isn't it? I always thought the protocol was to basically re-work deals right around the deadline to eat up any additional cap money for the sake of freeing up cap $$$ in future years. They keep about $1 million in reserve in the event we need to sign add'l players for injury purposes though, yes?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3643899]
    I think Bitonti may be the only person who is gullible enough to buy this crap. [/QUOTE]

minding my own business, i get dragged back in ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are the Colts being cheap by not offering Manning and Wayne extensions? Patriots with Brady and Mankins? Chargers with McNeil and Jackson?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3644049]Are the Colts being cheap by not offering Manning and Wayne extensions? Patriots with Brady and Mankins? Chargers with McNeil and Jackson?[/QUOTE]Well the Chargers probably are. Every media outlet I've read insinuates that AJ Smith is cheap.