Thread: Very Strong Trio.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Very Strong Trio.....

Seems like a lot of posters are concerned about our running back depth, and im not sure why. I know shonne has a tendency to get dinged up, LT has got some miles, and McKnight is untested, so yes each has an individual question mark, but as a GROUP they are very solid, and also very talented.

If we lose any one guy for a few games, the others are more then capable of picking up the slack with the line we have.

Greene is the man.....not much to say there, other then hopefully he learns when not to take hits.

LT is a veteran guy, who's not gonna be what he once was, but is more then capabel of getting 100 yards on 25 carries with our line...he is a good receiver and can pick up the blitz.

I know mcknight wasnt a 1st rd pick, but the guy has very good speed, and is great in open field. Basically he has specific things he does well, so he can succeed on a limited basis with our offense by game planning towards his strengths.

These 3 guys are stronger then most teams top 3 RBs, and I think its a position of strength for us. Very few teams have 2 guys like Deangelo and Jonathon Stewart....any one of our trio would be the starter in New England off the bat. Personally im excited about the talent, experience and upside of this group.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, Brad Smith can carry the rock. We have Chauncy Washington waiting in the wings. There are other options with T Rich, and John Conner (The Terminator)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thomas Jones = One of the Most Overrated Players in Football

Let's see how he does in KC with a lesser O-line and and a better running back ahead of him on the depth chart.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3643873]Thomas Jones = One of the Most Overrated Players in Football

Let's see how he does in KC with a lesser O-line and and a better running back ahead of him on the depth chart.[/QUOTE]

And LT is any better? To quote Buddy Ryan (talking about Cris Carter) "All's he does is score touchdowns". The past 2 years LT has been awful. He's done as a runner. Hopefully he can help out of the backfield on swing passes, etc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TJ;3643871]and John Conner (The Terminator)[/QUOTE]

LOL.

Why do people call him that LOL.

[IMG]http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyxq0sEOCd1qa70xno1_400.jpg[/IMG]
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial Black"]
    "John Conner", is the one on the left and
    "The Terminator", is on the right. [/FONT][/SIZE]

LOL.

"Tech-Com" would probably be the more approriate 'Terminator franchise' nickname.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HitSomeone41;3643924]LOL.

[B]Why do people call him that LOL.[/B]

[IMG]http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kyxq0sEOCd1qa70xno1_400.jpg[/IMG]
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial Black"]
    "John Conner", is the one on the left and
    "The Terminator", is on the right. [/FONT][/SIZE]

LOL.

"Tech-Com" would probably be the more approriate 'Terminator franchise' nickname.[/QUOTE]

His teamates in college called him that. Rex calls him No Neck!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    considering the jets made the playoffs with reggie barlow who was a late training camp pick up kinda says the running backs may be a bit overrated. the problem is that greene still hasn't shown he can be a 20-25 carry back. tomlinson can have a pass initially because he came from norv's pass happy offense. mcknight? he can't be compared to a healthy leon but one with a broken leg? maybe connor will get some good carries too.

it's all about the oline more than the back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3644433]considering the jets made the playoffs with reggie barlow who was a late training camp pick up kinda says the running backs may be a bit overrated. the problem is that greene still hasn't shown he can be a 20-25 carry back. tomlinson can have a pass initially because he came from norv's pass happy offense. mcknight? he can't be compared to a healthy leon but one with a broken leg? maybe connor will get some good carries too.

it's all about the oline more than the back.[/QUOTE]

i think you mean Kevan Barlow. and the guy may have been near-worthless for most of that season but he may have been the biggest reason we beat the Patriots in Foxboro.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LV2;3643892]And LT is any better? To quote Buddy Ryan (talking about Cris Carter) "All's he does is score touchdowns". The past 2 years LT has been awful. He's done as a runner. Hopefully he can help out of the backfield on swing passes, etc.[/QUOTE]

I don't think LT is any better. I wanted the Jets to cut Jones and replace him with someone younger and with fresher legs to be our #2 RB. I'd say out of all the moves made in the off-season this one and the Folk signing are the two I didn't agree with. Everything else (draft picks, Santonio, Jason Taylor etc.) I thought were all excellent moves.

If Greene goes down with an injury we better hope McKnight turns out to be our version of 2008 Ahmad Bradshaw. I figure with our O-line, T-Rich, a great WR corps stretching out the field that shouldn't be too hard.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3644518] I'd say out of all the moves made in the off-season this one and the Folk signing are the two I didn't agree with. Everything else (draft picks, Santonio, Jason Taylor etc.) I thought were all excellent moves.
    [/QUOTE]

... who did you want as our fg kicker? ...

... you do realize with feely there is no taylor right? ...

... lack of pass rush was the biggest weakness on our team last season ... and behind sanchez's development addressing that is what has the greatest potential to put us over the top this year ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3644540]... who did you want as our fg kicker? ...

... lack of pass rush was the biggest weakness on our team last season ... and behind sanchez's development addressing that is what has the greatest potential to put us over the top this year ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

I just said I liked the Taylor move alot - even when a lot of Jets fans were hating the move b/c Taylor is a former Jet-fan hater who goes on Dancing With Stars.

Pass Rushing OLB who can get 7+ sacks > good, not great fg kicker

That said I am just not sure if Folk can get it done as our kicker. I'm rooting hard for him but we have had some sh*t luck with kickers recently (Brien, Nuge). Part of the reason why Jets fans love Feely so much is that in comparison to Brien and Nuge he looked amazing. Ofcourse, anyone decent would look immortal next to those two losers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not going to miss Jones running into the back of an offsnsive lineman and falling down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LV2;3643892]And LT is any better? To quote Buddy Ryan (talking about Cris Carter) "All's he does is score touchdowns". [B]The past 2 years LT has been awful.[/B] He's done as a runner. Hopefully he can help out of the backfield on swing passes, etc.[/QUOTE]

23 rushing td's in the last 2 years isn't that bad..:confused: he avg 3.5 ypc his last 2 seasons I can remember a back we had when people thought 3.5 and 8 tds was great.:yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3644540]... who did you want as our fg kicker? ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

A FG kicker is often the difference in plus or minus 2 games. People remember Adam Veneteri's contributions to the Pats superbowl run, but they forget that perhaps Adam's biggest contribution was 2 MISSES he made in 1999.

That year he clanked 2 FGs at the ends of games that were the difference between a 10-6 record and an 8-8 finish. Adam makes those 2 FGs and Pete Carroll isn't fired and BB might STILL be the HC of the NYJs. ;)

The moral of the story is never underestimate the impact of a FG kicker. ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3645597]23 rushing td's in the last 2 years isn't that bad..:confused: he avg 3.5 ypc his last 2 seasons I can remember a back we had when people thought 3.5 and 8 tds was great.:yes:[/QUOTE]

And while I make fun of LT, the fact is that the Pats didn't have a RB that averaged 4 ypc for their first 2 superbowls, and didn't have a top running game until Cory Dillon joined the team for the 2004 run.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3644518][B]I don't think LT is any better[/B]. I wanted the Jets to cut Jones and replace him with someone younger and with fresher legs to be our #2 RB. I'd say[B] out of all the moves made in the off-season this one and the Folk signing are the two I didn't agree with[/B]. Everything else (draft picks, Santonio, Jason Taylor etc.) I thought were all excellent moves.

[B]If Greene goes down with an injury we better hope McKnight turns out to be our version of 2008 Ahmad Bradshaw. I figure with our O-line, T-Rich, a great WR corps stretching out the field that shouldn't be too hard[/B].[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% on all points...

I am not crazy about LT coming in as our #2 behind Greene either, I am hopeful that he will perform better than last season with a better running scheme and better OLine/TE/FB run blockers, but I wouldnt get my hopes up.

I believe if we do need someone to step up if a possible injury happens to Greene than Chauncy Washington would be a better fill in than LT or McKnight. I like McKnight in a limited role (ala Leon) and LT can contribute with 7-12 touches a game, but we would still need a younger, downhill runner with some power and I believe Washington could provide that if needed. Wouldnt be surprised if Connor got some short yardage/redzone carries as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3645776]And while I make fun of LT, the fact is that the Pats didn't have a RB that averaged 4 ypc for their first 2 superbowls, and didn't have a top running game until Cory Dillon joined the team for the 2004 run.[/QUOTE]

Not for the 96 Bowl when Murrell outrushed your back with less carries but 01 you did and 85 Craig James avg 4.7 ypc???:confused: Wait.. Did I just hear you say you didn't have a top running game until Dillon?? You had Martin for 3 years..:eek: