Thread: How to fix the Yankees bullpen for the 2nd half

How to fix the Yankees bullpen for the 2nd half

So far I hear the Yankees are showing interest in Octavio Dotel and Kerry Wood, neither are having great years by any means. The market for RP are not that good.

Heath Bell was suppose to be on the market but the Padres are in 1st place....

So what about in house options???

Ivan Nova was already up this year, he pitched 3 scoreless innings. He had a 95 MPH FB and a sharp breaking ball, IDK why they didn't give him more of a chance with the garbage we have up here.

Then you have Hector Noesi, who is on the 40-man roster. He has very impressive Minor league numbers, this year so far between 2 leagues his numbers are 2.14 ERA 108 SO 17 BB 0.95 WHIP.

The guy doesn't walk many guys, he throws strikes it seems. His career ERA is 2.78 for 5 seasons in the minors and is 23 years old.

IDK what his scouting report is, what kind of stuff he has or why hes so good. But I just know if we want to be legit contenders, we need to upgrade this pen.

I am kind of nervous right now that the Yankees are going to be moving Hughes back to the pen, with the rumors that they are interested in adding Ted Lilly. If we had gotten Cliff Lee, I would of had Hughes in the pen for the playoffs which makes us tough, especially with the way Sabathia and Lee go deep into games.

I found a scouting report on Hector, he throws 91-93 most of the time, probably hit 94-95 in the pen. He has plus command of his fastball and a 12-4 curveball and changeup.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 07-12-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Scott Downs.

Season stats

Code:
    SPLITS	G	GS	CG	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	W	L	SV	HLD	BLSV	WHIP	ERA
    Season	41	0	0	37.1	30	12	11	2	8	29	3	5	0	16	1	1.02	2.65

All Pro
    What about Kevin Gregg of Toronto? I heard he's being made available. With a team like the Yankees this guy can flourish. Check out his stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...reggke01.shtml
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b4Tkw

All Pro
    I would like to see them bring up one of the boys from the farm. Maybe send Joba down to get his confidence back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    What about Kevin Gregg of Toronto? I heard he's being made available. With a team like the Yankees this guy can flourish. Check out his stats:

No thanks. His stuff is average at best.

Kevin Gregg is pretty bad from what I have seen, sad thing is he could be our 2nd best RP if he joined us... I wouldn't be thrilled if we added him.

If Scott Downs was available, I would go for that, give us another lefty and one that has proven to be reliable.

Want to see us bring up Hector Noesi though, his numbers are outstanding and I think having him up for half of a season in the pen won't hurt his long term ability as a SP.

Besides the top closers, relief pitchers are so hard to figure out. 1 year they can be lights out, the next year they can implode every time out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Besides the top closers, relief pitchers are so hard to figure out. 1 year they can be lights out, the next year they can implode every time out.

There are some RP that remain solid every year other than closers. Like Scott Downs, the last 4 seasons hes been very reliable.
    Matt Thornton, the last 3 seasons has been very reliable.

Problem is those reliable guys seem hard to get, there really isn't a reliable guy out there to trade for right now. Unless the Jays are willing to trade Downs.

We may have a Matt Thornton is Boone Logan for all we know, it took Thornton a while to figure it out but since he has hes been great. Logan has a live arm too, but is inconsistent in location. Still thought it was dumb to send him down when he was our hot arm at the time...

All Pro
    How much do you guys think it will cost to get Downs? What prospects do you think the Blue Jays would ask for and what reasonable prospects do you think the Yankees & Cashman would give up?

How much do you guys think it will cost to get Downs? What prospects do you think the Blue Jays would ask for and what reasonable prospects do you think the Yankees & Cashman would give up?
    Downs is a free agent after the season, and will likely be a Type-A free agent, the Blue Jays know this, so it will cost more than you would think. Probably too much...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Kevin Gregg is pretty bad from what I have seen, sad thing is he could be our 2nd best RP if he joined us... I wouldn't be thrilled if we added him.

If Scott Downs was available, I would go for that, give us another lefty and one that has proven to be reliable.

Want to see us bring up Hector Noesi though, his numbers are outstanding and I think having him up for half of a season in the pen won't hurt his long term ability as a SP.
    Noesi isn't close to ready. 62 innings in AA and a history of not staying healthy. Give him the full year, then next year in AAA. Nova would be a better option ,but they should give Albaladejo a shot first to see if his new approach will work.

Otherwise, trading for a reliever is a fools game. Name the last time a team traded for a reliever who really made that much of a difference mid season who also didn't cost an arm and a leg

Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Otherwise, trading for a reliever is a fools game. Name the last time a team traded for a reliever who really made that much of a difference mid season who also didn't cost an arm and a leg
    Spot on...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Noesi isn't close to ready. 62 innings in AA and a history of not staying healthy. Give him the full year, then next year in AAA. Nova would be a better option ,but they should give Albaladejo a shot first to see if his new approach will work.

LOL Eric Gagne to the Red Sox in 2007 made a big difference.......in a negative way

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    You really never know how their arm will respond the next year after a year of heavy use. Really makes you appreciate Jeff Nelson when he was here.