Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boss is dead at 80

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Boss is dead at 80

I think this is big enough to belong here.

R.I.P.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Longtime New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner died Tuesday morning, his family confirmed in a statement.

"It is with profound sadness that the family of George M. Steinbrenner III announces his passing. He passed away this morning in Tampa, Fla., at age 80," the family said in a statement.

The New York Daily News reported that Steinbrenner died around 6:30 a.m. ET Tuesday in Tampa, Fla.

WABC-TV in New York reported that Steinbrenner, the Yankees' owner since 1973, suffered a massive heart attack.

Steinbrenner, who celebrated his 80th birthday on July 4, was taken to a Tampa hospital after emergency crews responded to his home Monday night.

Steinbrenner gave his sons, Hal and Hank, day-to-day control of the team in late 2007.

He told The Associated Press last week that he was "feeling good" after spending a couple hours in his office at the Yankees' spring training complex.

Under his ownership, the Yankees have won 11 AL pennants and seven World Series titles.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Steinbrenner. Greatest owner in sports.

From a long time Mets fan.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=49ersJetsfan;3644777]Rest in Peace, Mr. Steinbrenner. Greatest owner in sports.

From a long time Mets fan.[/QUOTE]

+1 on both

Jets Insider VIP
    RIP Boss... You will be missed and loved

Thank you from the bottom of my heart Mr. Steinbrenner, R.I.P.

Has put a winning team on the field for pretty much my enitre life and thats all a fan can ask for.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=49ersJetsfan;3644777]Rest in Peace, Mr. Steinbrenner. Greatest owner in sports.

+1 as well,
    RIP

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetsnrangers;3644792]+1 as well,
    RIP[/QUOTE]

and another
    RIP

Veteran

Im shocked.

Though Im a Cubs fan.... wow. On the day of the All Star game, no less.

RIP. Total respect for you.

Next stop, Hall of Fame

RIP to the greatest sports owner.

All Pro
    God bless George Steinbrenner, thanks for all of the greatness and memories

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3644805]Next stop, Hall of Fame

RIP to the greatest sports owner.[/QUOTE]

RIP George Steinbrenner.

No owner ever did more for his team.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3644805]Next stop, Hall of Fame

RIP to the greatest sports owner.[/QUOTE]

Steinbrenner Part II was among the greats, Steinbrenner Part I was not.

But he did always want to win, often at a detriment to the team in the 80s. But the last 15 years Steinbrenner mellowed a little and he was the best owner of the last 15 years.

In my opinion, George was the most important Yankee since Mickey Mantle until Mariano Rivera assumed the closer's role for the Yanks. Nothing against the other great Yankees in between Mickey and Mariano (i.e. Munson, Mattingly and Jeter), but none were singular weapons that clearly would win titles no matter what team they were on. It is not until Mariano that you saw another Yankee that you could say this guy could propel even an average team into a champion. Even Pettitte who has been a post season force for The Yanks could not do that when he went to Houston WITH Roger Clemens. Reggie Jackson was that kind of weapon (he won with Oakland and the Yankees), but he was a free agent - HIRED - by George Steinbrenner. That is what made George so special. He was not afraid to be great no matter who it upset. He was a maverick. Politicians overuse that phrase, but he was. He went after difference makers like Reggie, Gossage, O'Neil and Martinez. They were great Yankees ultimately because George brought them here. Yes they performed, but again, George made it happen in pinstripes. A better owner, we Yankee fans could not have had in the era of free agency.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    R.I.P. George Steinbrenner.

When George bought the Yankees the club was worth almost nothing and was in complete and utter decline. The Yankees today are among the most valued sports teams in the world and the Yankee brand one of the most respected and revered in the World.

George was more than a smart business man he was a physical force of nature. Will and determination personified. Hurricanes and Volcanoes leave allot of destruction in their path but they also change the landscape forever. George was the human equivalent of a category 5 Hurricane or a Mount Saint Helens Volcano. The landscape has been changed forever by his presence.

RIP

All League

+1 Coming from another longtime Mets Fan

Pretty much true---he always seemed to me to be the first of the "fan" owners.

RIP Mr. Steinbrenner

Can't believe the emperor is gone, evil empire is a lil weaker today.