Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: With George Gone, Woody Is The Dominant Owner In New York Now

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

With George Gone, Woody Is The Dominant Owner In New York Now

The torch has now been passed to the next aggressive, powerful, and influential professional sports owner in New York. The one who thinks innovatively. The one with the burning desire to produce a Champion.

Take the baton and keep running with it, Woody.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    waiting on a post saying the Wilpons are now annointed........:rolleyes:

It's still hard to say it's not Hal Steinbrenner

[IMG]http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Philadelphia+Phillies+v+New+York+Yankees+Game+jqHmp_IeVxgl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://photos.upi.com/topics-CC-Sabathia-and-AJ-Burnett-sign-with-the-New-York-Yankees/cdc60bbe6e832450a276f8d4dc8c3830/A_1.jpg[/IMG]

Either Hal or Mr. Wang.. lol

[IMG]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/newsmakers/gfx/charles-wang_392.jpg[/IMG]

As an Islander fan, that Wang comment really rubs salt in the wound.

[QUOTE=LV2;3645505]As an Islander fan, that Wang comment really rubs salt in the wound.[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better... I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan

All League
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3645487]The torch has now been passed to the next aggressive, powerful, and influential professional sports owner in New York. The one who thinks innovatively. The one with the burning desire to produce a Champion.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

With Georgie gone, all the NY owners are members of the lucky sperm club. Kids who are given ownership of teams tend to be bad owners.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Serious question - Is Woody now larger than James Dolan?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Digetydog;3645514]With Georgie gone, all the NY owners are members of the lucky sperm club. Kids who are given ownership of teams tend to be bad owners.[/QUOTE]

“George Steinbrenner is an American icon and was one of the preeminent owners in all of sports. A true champion with his own unique style, he held his team to the highest standards and demanded a title for Yankees fans each and every season. I will remember him as a winner whose passion and enthusiasm became part of the fabric of New York City. He was an inspiration and represented the essence of leadership.”

--Woody Johnson on George Steinbrenner's passing

(Woody bought the Jets. He didn't inherit them.)

SAR I

All League
    The Maras say hello

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=petejet;3645519]Serious question - Is Woody now larger than James Dolan?[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Dolan is hated by everyone, especially his own teams' fans.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I;3645526]Definitely. Dolan is hated by everyone, especially his own teams' fans.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Being hated has nothing to do with being influential/powerful. EVERYONE hates Bud Selig but yet he is still the Commissioner of MLB.....

Bewildered Beast
    Woody loves it when he's thanked for out-bidding Darth Dolan. He gets a big kick out of it. :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3645520]“George Steinbrenner is an American icon and was one of the preeminent owners in all of sports. A true champion with his own unique style, he held his team to the highest standards and demanded a title for Yankees fans each and every season. I will remember him as a winner whose passion and enthusiasm became part of the fabric of New York City. He was an inspiration and represented the essence of leadership.”

--Woody Johnson on George Steinbrenner's passing

(Woody bought the Jets. He didn't inherit them.)

SAR I[/QUOTE]

He bought them with 100% inherited money.

[QUOTE=SAR I;3645487]The torch has now been passed to the next aggressive, powerful, and influential professional sports owner in New York. The one who thinks innovatively. The one with the burning desire to produce a Champion.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Did they give you an upgrade Scott ??

[QUOTE=petejet;3645519]Serious question - Is Woody now larger than James Dolan?[/QUOTE]

The more approproate question is:

Who's the worst owner, Dolan or Wang ?? Everything both touch turns to dog****.
    Last edited by DUNCCFP; 07-13-2010 at 07:47 PM.

I bet Woody is polishing his trophy as we speak.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3645522]The Maras say hello[/QUOTE]

Mara. Singular.

& Tisch.

But you don't know anything about NY sports so I didn't expect much from you.

Neither would have a new stadium without Woody.

And the Giants are currently in the backseat (& ironically enough, the back page) to everything Woody & his team do.

The Superbowl is long forgotten. NY only remembers who's winning today.

Think of it like most of Boston will relegate the Patriots to the closet and adorn their Red Sox jerseys year round once they stop winning.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=petejet;3645528]Being hated has nothing to do with being influential/powerful. EVERYONE hates Bud Selig but yet he is still the Commissioner of MLB.....[/QUOTE]

I agree with Selig, but I think you're wrong on Dolan. They annoy everyone. The NBA, the NHL, NY cable subscribers, every Ranger fan, every Knick fan. It's like he's gone out of his way to be detested.

Al Davis in his day. That's someone who was influential/powerful and hated. But Dolan? He's just evil. Evil and stupid.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Digetydog;3645548]He bought them with 100% inherited money.[/QUOTE]

So? Lamar Hunt founded the AFL 100% on inherited money. Does it mean he wasn't successful?

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=DUNCCFP;3645556]Did they give you an upgrade Scott ??[/QUOTE]

No, and I wouldn't accept it even if they did. Just giving Mr. Johnson his props, that's all. With George gone (God rest his soul) there's only one other NY owner that grabs headlines, makes an occasional ruckus, spends like a drunken sailor, acts decisively, and takes care of his fans all in an effort to win a Championship.

His name? Robert Wood Johnson IV. You may call him "Woody". He told me so himself, as I was the very first fan on an NFL field to speak with him. Green Bay, Opening Day 2000. Was the first fan in Lambeau, ran straight down to the visitors tunnel and the extremely low field wall.

SAR I: "Hey Mr. Johnson."
    RWJ: "You can call me Woody."
    SAR I: "Thank you for buying the team and keeping it in New York."
    RWJ: "You're welcome. I like your jersey. We're expecting big things from him."

SAR I