Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL.com's Mike Lombardi is a raving moron.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL.com's Mike Lombardi is a raving moron.

Check out this article assessing the AFC East-- he has the Dolfags ranked above us based on bupkus. What an idiot. Pure drivel.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8191ab4e/article/breaking-down-afc-picture-has-dolphins-making-big-jump[/url]

Dolphins making big jump? Yeah, right off a cliff. But I love it in that Rex can show the team that despite going to the AFC Championship, we still get no respect whatsoever. Someone should tell Lombardi LeBron don't play DE.

[QUOTE] Blue-chip teams

Miami Dolphins: Much has been happening in Miami in recent weeks, but what should not be lost in all the hysteria of the Heat adding LeBron James and Chris Bosh is that the Dolphins are a Super Bowl contender. Last season, they were one of the best teams in the league in terms of execution, but struggled playing 2-minute defense (30th overall) and failed to make explosive plays (gains of 20 yards or more). Miami is close, very close, to becoming a Super Bowl team -- in part due to its size, mental toughness and ability to consistently execute each week. If the Dolphins stop the big plays, make a few of their own, and find a way to close out games, J-Lo and Marc Anthony might have a stake in a Super team.

Red-chip teams

New York Jets: If Denver reminds me of Butler University, then the Jets remind me of the University of Kentucky. The Jets, like the Wildcats, are extremely talented, with many different egos who might only play together for one year and have the potential to explode at any point during the season. Jets coach Rex Ryan and Kentucky coach John Calipari might not look the same, but they both are master motivators and recruiters who don't mind handling an eclectic collection of players. The question you must ask yourself about the Jets is the same one you ask about Kentucky when you fill out the office pool in March -- can they get past the Sweet 16? I never have Kentucky in my Final Four, so I cannot put the Jets there.[/QUOTE]

What crap. Lombardi must be pals with Tuna.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I'll get killed here for admitting this, but I like Chad Henne as a QB. He's going to be a solid pro. I've also followed Brandon Marshall's career- the guy is a beast. Otherwise? Sure, Ricky and Ronnie are a nice duo when one can stay focused and the other healthy.. Their TE? A nice safety valve. On paper, their DL suddenly looks pretty solid.. Otherwise? Their team blows.

They have nowhere near the talent as the Jets.. and let's be honest - as homeristic as it sounds - the two losses to Miami in 2009 were two of the most ridiculous as they come.. In the first, the D has their worst outing of all year, and still they are within a 10 yard TD score in the last minute to win.. The second? A dominant defensive effort, yet we let up 2 special team TDs- when the F does that happen? Two fluke wins. I'd be shocked.. SHOCKED.. if Miami takes 1 of 2 from us this year... let alone win the division.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I fully expect there to be a backlash against all of the Jets' offseason moves by the "experts", and you know what - that's okay with me! There are definitely some question marks as to whether the Jets will be able to come together as a successful unit and I'm just excited to see if all of the puzzle pieces fall into place.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love B. Marshall, had him on my Fantasy Team since his 2nd year in the league. BUT, he played in the AFC West! AFC West is NOT the AFC East. Broncos played Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders 2X's a year. O, I'm scared! :eek: We'll see what numbers Marshall puts up this year, Revis Island 2x's this year. Can't wait :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3645820]So basically the Jets are gonna lose because they have [B]too much talent[/B]

Okie dokie :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

What he said-- yes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;3645813]I know I'll get killed here for admitting this, but I like Chad Henne as a QB. He's going to be a solid pro.[/QUOTE]

Agree completely. Love what I've seen from him so far and with all the hype Sanchez is getting at this point, Henne is currently the better quarterback.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Lombardi's a total moron. Last offseason he called Ronnie Brown a glorified Reggie Bush clone. The guy has no clue what he's talking about. He's just making countercultural predictions for the sake of being different. I wouldn't put the Dolphins at the top of the AFC, nor would I put the Jets there. By and large you need a good QB to win a Super Bowl. Henne and Sanchez aren't there yet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    about the only thing you can say about the doltfins is that they do play the full game. they don't take plays off. however, marshall is an injured player and ronnie brown is a fat lard ass. i'm not quite sure how anyone can compare him to reggie bush.ricky willams can still run. they have some really good linemen both offense and defense and henne is good in the controlled offense that they run. (heck vinny was great in henning's offense).

the points about the jets are well taken. these high talent players, especially the free agents and trades, are here to muddle through a season. if things start out badly then there could be some trouble for rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the biggest reach in this article was Denver. In the same "pot" as NE and NYJ? I just don't see it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3645829]Mike Lombardi's a total moron. Last offseason he called Ronnie Brown a glorified Reggie Bush clone. The guy has no clue what he's talking about. He's just making countercultural predictions for the sake of being different. I wouldn't put the Dolphins at the top of the AFC, nor would I put the Jets there. By and large you need a good QB to win a Super Bowl. Henne and Sanchez aren't there yet.[/QUOTE]

Why you gots to be all reasonable man? Screw the dolphins...? No that's not it... see now you got me all confused:huh:

Lol honestly I agree with you 100% Henne and Sanchez both have potential. Obviously I think Sanchez has more... but I'm a Jets fan so that makes sense :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    what i am greatly puzzled by is the fact that everyone just assumes that because we have santonio holmes and braylon edwards that this team is a ticking time bomb? Why is that? The last time i looked, we had a ton of players such as kris jenkins, sean ellis, nick mangold and lt and taylor, etc that i believe can police the "problems". Also, i have said this before here, how many "problems" have we truly had? Fortunately we have been pretty lucky and maybe it isnt luck but it is a testament to some of the players we have had who came through here who were class acts!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW McGraw;3645829]Mike Lombardi's a total moron. Last offseason he called Ronnie Brown a glorified Reggie Bush clone. The guy has no clue what he's talking about. He's just making counterculture predictions for the sake of being different. I wouldn't put the Dolphins at the top of the AFC, nor would I put the Jets there. By and large you need a good QB to win a Super Bowl. Henne and Sanchez aren't there yet.[/QUOTE]

Your definitely the best Fin Fan to ever post here.. However you don't need a good QB to win a Bowl just a great CB from what I've been reading...:P

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3645829]Mike Lombardi's a total moron. Last offseason he called Ronnie Brown a glorified Reggie Bush clone. The guy has no clue what he's talking about. He's just making countercultural predictions for the sake of being different. I wouldn't put the Dolphins at the top of the AFC, nor would I put the Jets there. By and large you need a good QB to win a Super Bowl. Henne and Sanchez aren't there yet.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    what has Braylon Edwards done to make him a "Off the field problem" ? what he got into a little scrap outside a bar? what man hasn't?.. give me a break, charges were never brought against him, so unless im missing something this is media BS.....screw Mike Lombardi hes the worst, right behind Florio.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have to give Lombardi some credit on some things. He said from day one that Gholston was going to be a bust.

The reasoning in that article is pretty bizarre though. The Phins are going to be better this year but the Jets on paper are certainly better. I think we are going to find out about our Jets very early on in the season whether they are going to be as good as we hope.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3645927]Your definitely the best Fin Fan to ever post here.. However you don't need a good QB to win a Bowl just a great CB from what I've been reading...:P[/QUOTE]

I've heard good things also. :P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lombardi's partial to management and owners'. that effing guy is still got his hands in pockets across the NFL...

I DON'T CARE which way you slice it; Sanchez or Henne, Marshall or Edwards/Holmes, it DOESN'T matter. [B]Our defense can mop the floor[/B] with MIA's. Mop it. End of story.
    Done.
    Over. There's no rational reason to rank that team above us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike Lombardi comes from the Raiders organization. HE HATES THE JETS!
    Thats what the grim reaper teaches out there in Oakland.
    On the NFL network he's CONSTANTLY bringing up the leadership thing with he loss of Faneca & Jones.
    Jets defense is SO MUCH better than Miamis, it's laughable!
    We held that offense to 105 yards of offense in that 2nd game last year, 105 YARDS! (that has to be close to a record)
    * So they added Marshall
    We added Cromarty & Wilson & Pool!

* Ricky Williams is one year older & Ronnie Brown is coming off another surgery & he's FAT on top of that!
    * Meanwhile we have the leading rusher in the playoffs for 2009 starting now & we added LT for a backup & drafted McKnight.

Jason Taylor I believe led them in sacks last year & now he's playing for the Jets. Do you think he knows a little about Hennings offense?

Did Cotchery even play in that game in Miami or was he hurt, or playing hurt & Edwards had a great game with like 2 practices, LOL! Lets see what happens with an entire camp & the addition of Holmes for the 2nd game in NY.

Seems like sound reasoning that the Fins are better than the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I understand the thought process Lombardi was going with, I'm going to disagree.. The AFC East will finish the same way it did last year.. Pats and Jets in, Dolphins looking in from the outside..

Dolphins had the 29th rated secondary last year and now with the loss of Taylor and Porter, it will not improve..

Henne looked good at times but he locks onto receivers.. What Lombardi is looking at is the History of Bill Parcell teams. Usually after a drop off, they make a serious run..

Just to add, I have to agree with his assessmnt of the Jets. The remind me a lot of washington 10 years ago.. We learned that collecting talent does not make a great team. Ryan has a big task ahead of him.. I still disagree with letting Jones go and picking up LT.. I know the thought is Greene will be teh starter but he is an unproven.. And since the Jets rely heavily on the run, I think its a big chance..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder who our John Wall is. :rolleyes:

Where the **** is Miami getting a pass rush from? Hm? Cameron Wake & Koa Misi? PLEASE. Where is Miami's safety help? Yeremiah Bell is average and there is NOBODY next to him. Where is Miami's NT? Oh that's right, they're going to move their best Defensive End and play him there. Genius!

Oh and Ronnie Brown is coming off his 17th injury.