Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Mark Sanchez Better than Chad Henne?

Why is Mark Sanchez Better than Chad Henne?

I'm curious, becuase there seems to be a very common perception here at JI that Mark Sanchez is not only better than Chad Henne, but substantially better than Henne.

2009 Stats:

[B][U]Sanchez:[/U][/B] 15 games, 196 of 364 (53.8%) for 2444 Yards. 12 TD/20 INT

Primary Recievers: J. Cotchery, D. Keller, B. Edwards
    Running Support: #1 Rushing Offense in NFL

[B][U]Henne:[/U][/B] 14 games, 274 of 451 (60.8%) for 2878 Yards. 12TD/14INT

Primary Recievers: D. Bess, G. Camarillo, T. Ginn Jr.
    Running Support: 4th Rushing Offense in NFL

[U]Head-to-Head:[/U] Henne 2-0 vs. Sanchez 0-2

So.....thats the numbers. So what are the reasons that J.I. seems so confident that Henne is a inferior player to Sanchez? What are the specifics that lead to this conclusion?

I ask, because I think Henne is pretty damn good too, and that both kids have a ton of potential, and better yet (IMO) the potential for a great-to-watch Marino-vs-OBrien type rivalry over the next few years.

But with that said, I don't see (thus far) the balance being in Sanchez favor just yet, certainly not by the wide margin I seem to see amongst our posters. Is it just the usual Sanchez-is-OUR-guy homerism, or are there specifics signs/events/stats that lead to this view that Sanchez is much better than Henne opinion?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Agreed - Its one thing to say that you think Sanchez has more potential and will have a better career, but for this upcoming season, Henne is the better, more seasoned QB. We may be saying something different after the season, but for now, if a neutral team was looking for a QB for this year, Henne would be the pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    They both have potential.

Impossible to know who is better right now.

People may be downplaying Henne too much at this point, but are we seriously ignoring the playoff performances of Sanchez when taking into account why many think Sanchez is better :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3645920]Agreed - Its one thing to say that you think Sanchez has more potential and will have a better career, but for this upcoming season, Henne is the better, more seasoned QB. We may be saying something different after the season, but for now, if a neutral team was looking for a QB for this year, Henne would be the pick.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree.

Henne was a 2nd rounder and Sanchez the 5th overall for a reason. A neutral team looking for a QB would pick the player with upside who has experience.

Also, I believe the inherent flaw in the comparison is that Henne was in his SECOND YEAR in the NFL when he started while Sanchez was a rookie.

Henne had the benefit of 2 NFL offseasons, 2 NFL training camps and preseasons before he started and his numbers were not that much better than Sanchez who only had the benefit of 1 NFL offseason, training camp and preseason.

If anything, Henne's numbers were dissapointing for someone who had been in the league for already a year.

All League
    Honestly, in my own personal opinion, I believe they are fairly equal as of now.

Going by last year, you would have to say Henne played better just by the numbers alone. Now keep in mind that Henne had a year to sit on the bench behind a pretty damn good mentor in Pennington (no matter what any Penny hater says lol) while Sanchez was a rookie and only had Clemens as a mentor, so they were at diffrent points in their young careers.

Now two reasons why I would rather have Sanchez over Henne....

1. Sanchez stepped up when it mattered most while Henne kind of struggled down the stretch. In the playoffs Sanchez played excellent, managing the game, making big plays and limiting mistakes. Even in the AFCCG when Greene went down and TJ struggled, Sanchez was keeping us in the game with his arm and playmaking ability.

2. Sanchez IMO has more potential, he has that "it" factor and is definatly a born leader, he has the intangibles to be a great QB. Not to say that Henne doesnt have some of these same qualities, because I believe Henne has great potential as well and will be a good one, but IMO Sanchez has more potential and can make plays with both his arm and his legs, this guy is gonna be one hell of a QB!

Now I must admit I didnt watch Henne as close as I did Sanchez throughout the season, but its not like I didnt follow him at all either. I believe we are going to revisit this discussion multiple times for years to come. For now though, you could say Sanchez is better or Henne is better, but it is very close regardless of the QB you think is better.

It is a great thing for both MIA and NYJ fans that we both have young, up and coming QBs that can eventually be Franchise QBs for their teams. Like Warfish said, this could be one hell of a rivalry for the next 5-10 years!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3645919]I'm curious, becuase there seems to be a very common perception here at JI that Mark Sanchez is not only better than Chad Henne, but substantially better than Henne.

2009 Stats:

[B][U]Sanchez:[/U][/B] 15 games, 196 of 364 (53.8%) for 2444 Yards. 12 TD/20 INT

Primary Recievers: J. Cotchery, D. Keller, B. Edwards
    Running Support: #1 Rushing Offense in NFL

[B][U]Henne:[/U][/B] 14 games, 274 of 451 (60.8%) for 2878 Yards. 12TD/14INT

Primary Recievers: D. Bess, G. Camarillo, T. Ginn Jr.
    Running Support: 4th Rushing Offense in NFL

[U]Head-to-Head:[/U] Henne 2-0 vs. Sanchez 0-2

So.....thats the numbers. So what are the reasons that J.I. seems so confident that Henne is a inferior player to Sanchez? What are the specifics that lead to this conclusion?

I ask, because I think Henne is pretty damn good too, and that both kids have a ton of potential, and better yet (IMO) the potential for a great-to-watch Marino-vs-OBrien type rivalry over the next few years.

But with that said, I don't see (thus far) the balance being in Sanchez favor just yet, certainly not by the wide margin I seem to see amongst our posters. Is it just the usual Sanchez-is-OUR-guy homerism, or are there specifics signs/events/stats that lead to this view that Sanchez is much better than Henne opinion?[/QUOTE]

Seem to be discounting that Henne was a second year QB and Sanchez was a rookie. Henne faltered down the stretch whereas Sanchez ascended.

Jets Insider VIP
    why are we even talking about Chad Henne?

All League
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3645926]People may be downplaying Henne too much at this point, but are we seriously ignoring the playoff performances of Sanchez when taking into account why many think Sanchez is better :confused:[/QUOTE]

+1 Without the playoff run the Jets and Sanchez went on, you would have to say Henne is better at this point in their young careers.

The main reason why it is a discussion is because while Sanchez didnt have as strong a regular season as Henne, Sanchez DID step up when it mattered most and played great, having his best games by far the last week or two of the season and through out the playoffs while if memory serves me right, Henne struggled down the stretch.

Its gonna be a great rivalry regardless, two young QBs with the potential to be Franchise QBs on rival teams that hate each other and have both been very competitve and both also have very good HCs! If the two head to head matchups they played last season are a sign of things to come, then we are gonna be in for some classics!

We can all agree on this though, its a GREAT time to be a fan of either the Jets or Dolphins!
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 07-14-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=SMC;3645935]I completely disagree.

Henne was a 2nd rounder and Sanchez the 5th overall for a reason. A neutral team looking for a QB would pick the player with upside who has experience.

Also, I believe the inherent flaw in the comparison is that Henne was in his SECOND YEAR in the NFL when he started while Sanchez was a rookie.

Henne had the benefit of 2 NFL offseasons, 2 NFL training camps and preseasons before he started and his numbers were not that much better than Sanchez who only had the benefit of 1 NFL offseason, training camp and preseason.

If anything, Henne's numbers were dissapointing for someone who had been in the league for already a year.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I still think Sanchez is one year away from being totally comfortable and competent in the NFL. He'll probably improve this year somewhat, but will still have some major bumps in the road. If I had to put money on which QB will have the better year, I'd probably put it on Henne - for the 2010 only. I liked the way he threw the ball last year, and that was with one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Of course, if the question is which one would I rather have long term, I'm taking Sanchez.

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3645941]Seem to be discounting that Henne was a second year QB and Sanchez was a rookie.[/QUOTE]

Unless the Jets get a 7 point head start because Henne is in Year 3 while Sanchez is in year 2, that difference has no bearing on who is better in the kinds of threads that claim is being stated.

It's poor logic. Like claiming Sanchez is better than Brady right now head-to-head, only because Brady is in year 10 (or whatever year he is now) and Sanchez is a Rookie. I'm sorry, what?

When the Jets and Dolphins play in 2010, or when we're discussing who is "better" position by position in 2010 (the primary places I read that Sanchez is vastly better than Henne), it is not relevant what year they are in, only how well we expect them to play in 2010. Whomever plays better will win, years experience does not grant points or yards.

If the argument is that Sanchez will have a better second year than Henne's second year, thats a completely different argument than "Sanchez is better than Henne at QB in 2010", which is what I'm reading here.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3645953]Unless the Jets get a 7 point head start because Henne is in Year 3 while Sanchez is in year 2, that difference has no bearing on who is better in the kinds of threads that claim is being stated.

It's poor logic. Like claiming Sanchez is better than Brady right now head-to-head, only because Brady is in year 10 (or whatever year he is now) and Sanchez is a Rookie. I'm sorry, what?

When the Jets and Dolphins play in 2010, or when we're discussing who is "better" position by position in 2010 (the primary places I read that Sanchez is vastly better than Henne), it is not relevant what year they are in, only how well we expect them to play in 2010. Whomever plays better will win, years experience does not grant points or yards.

If the argument is that Sanchez will have a better second year than Henne's second year, thats a completely different argument than[B] "Sanchez is better than Henne at QB in 2010", which is what I'm reading here[/B].[/QUOTE]

Going into this year soley, its a real tight arguement on who is better or who will have a better season in 2010. You can make an argument for either QB, but the gap is extremly close either way IMO.

[QUOTE=SMC;3645935]I completely disagree.

If anything, Henne's numbers were dissapointing for someone who had been in the league for already a year.[/QUOTE]

+1

Looking at the head-to-head numbers is a fallacy

The 2nd game last year, Henne and the Miami offense had a horrible day, Henne couldn't do anything with the ball, they couldn't run the ball, they put up about 100 yds of total offense, while Sanchez had a much better day, that game was won on ST's off of the two KR for TD's.

Sanchez, who had an inconsistent rookie season, finished strong, and improved as the year progressed, and shined the brightest in the playoffs which is what you want to see and how you want to evaluate a player, how do they perform when everything is on the line and pressure is at the highest.

Henne and the phins tanked at the end of the year, much of the stats he put up was by neccessity, because their defense sucked, they were usually playing from behind and many of those stats were put up in garbage time and/or towards the end of the game when Miami was trying to make a run back into the game and defenses were in prevent mode.

I actually think Henne has potential, I think he can be a good QB, but I think Sanchez is on another level, even now with the progress he made in his rookie year. You can't compare the overall stats, you have to break the season down and look at things in how they performed given their tenure in the league, and how they performed at the end of the year, vs the start of the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3645953]Unless the Jets get a 7 point head start because Henne is in Year 3 while Sanchez is in year 2, that difference has no bearing on who is better in the kinds of threads that claim is being stated.

It's poor logic. Like claiming Sanchez is better than Brady right now head-to-head, only because Brady is in year 10 (or whatever year he is now) and Sanchez is a Rookie. [/QUOTE]

Your argument right there is poor logic.

Why? Because we're talking about comparable stats.

If Sanchez as a rookie had a comparable year to Brady in year 10 then you would absolutely say Sanchez was a better QB. That's common sense.

Henne and Sanchez performed about the same, with Sanchez slightly worse. Because of that you can make the Second Year-Rookie argument.

If Henne was light years better than Sanchez then you couldn't make the argument. That's the point.

[QUOTE=crasherino;3645950]Personally, I still think Sanchez is one year away from being totally comfortable and competent in the NFL. He'll probably improve this year somewhat, [B]but will still have some major bumps in the road.[/B] If I had to put money on which QB will have the better year, I'd probably put it on Henne - for the 2010 only. I liked the way he threw the ball last year, and that was with one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Of course, if the question is which one would I rather have long term, I'm taking Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and this line specifically.

I think Sanchez is going to have a few head scratchers for games. If we can win despite him, great.

But as long as he shows he can win a few on his own this season, I'll be ecstatic.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3645950]Personally, I still think Sanchez is one year away from being totally comfortable and competent in the NFL. He'll probably improve this year somewhat, but will still have some major bumps in the road. If I had to put money on which QB will have the better year, I'd probably put it on Henne - for the 2010 only. I liked the way he threw the ball last year, and that was with one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL.

Of course, if the question is which one would I rather have long term, I'm taking Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

This is what concerns me about Henne:

Miami Dolphins beat the Jags in Week 14 to go 7-6. They moved up to the No. 6 seed and controllled their own playoff destiny. At that point Henne had 9 TDs and 9 INTs.

The Fins lost their last 3 games and failed to make the playoffs.

Henne threw 3 TDs and 5 INTs in those last 3 games.

In fact, in Henne's last 6 starts, the Fins went 2-4 and Henne had 6 TDs and 10 INTs.

Henne was bad down the stretch when the Fins needed him most.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=SMC;3645976]This is what concerns me about Henne:

Miami Dolphins beat the Jags in Week 14 to go 7-6. They moved up to the No. 6 seed and controllled their own playoff destiny. At that point Henne had 9 TDs and 9 INTs.

In fact, in Henne's last 6 starts, the Fins went 2-4 and Henne had 6 TDs and 10 INTs.

Henne was bad down the stretch when the Fins needed him most.[/QUOTE]

I would not be unhappy if that trend continued into this year. :yes:

[QUOTE=SMC;3645966]Your argument right there is poor logic.

Why? Because we're talking about comparable stats.[/quote]

And in comparable stats, Henne was superior. Again, when looking at pure performance, years experience is not (in fact) a stat. No one gets free yards or points for having more/less years experience on their resume.

Again, if in the various threads folks said "Sanchez will be a better second year QB than Henne was", you'd have a point (although that point is somewhat meaningless tbh). The stats posted are direct, both players first seasons as starter. Both will start this year.

To be better, one must play better on the field, regardless of how much experience they have coming in. Thats my point.

[QUOTE]If Sanchez as a rookie had a comparable year to Brady in year 10 then you would absolutely say Sanchez was a better QB. That's common sense.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.

But thats not whats being said thus far here at JI. Whats being said is "Sanchez is better than Henne, period".

[QUOTE]Henne and Sanchez performed about the same, with Sanchez slightly worse. Because of that you can make the Second Year-Rookie argument.[/QUOTE]

Again, why? When they play in 2010, will the Jets get a free 3 points because Sanchez is a year behind, or will the two have to simply play?

Thats my point, to say one is better than the other means purely better, not "better for their respective second years", because lets face it, thats not relevant to who wins or loses. Sanchez in 2010 will not play the Henne of 2009, he plays the Henne of 2010, so to say he is better is saying a second year Sanzhez is better than a third year Henne, period.

[quote]If Henne was light years better than Sanchez then you couldn't make the argument. That's the point.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the two are quite comparable, and expect a third year Henne to be as good as a second year Sanchez. I would not, therefore, say "Sanchez is much better than Henne", because there are no facts in evidence as yet to prove that, although there certainly could be by the end of 2010.

And thats the point.

All League
    [QUOTE=SMC;3645976]This is what concerns me about Henne:

Henne was bad down the stretch when the Fins needed him most.[/QUOTE]

That is the main reason why fans are saying Sanchez is better than Henne going into the 2010 season, SMC hit the nail right on the head!
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 07-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3645983]And in comparable stats, Henne was superior. Again, when looking at pure performance, years experience is not (in fact) a stat. No one gets free yards or points for having more/less years experience on their resume.

Again, if in the various threads folks said "Sanchez will be a better second year QB than Henne was", you'd have a point (although that point is somewhat meaningless tbh). The stats posted are direct, both players first seasons as starter. Both will start this year.

To be better, one must play better on the field, regardless of how much experience they have coming in. Thats my point.

I completely agree.

But thats not whats being said thus far here at JI. Whats being said is "Sanchez is better than Henne, period".

Again, why? When they play in 2010, will the Jets get a free 3 points because Sanchez is a year behind, or will the two have to simply play?

Thats my point, to say one is better than the other means purely better, not "better for their respective second years", because lets face it, thats not relevant to who wins or loses. Sanchez in 2010 will not play the Henne of 2009, he plays the Henne of 2010, so to say he is better is saying a second year Sanzhez is better than a third year Henne, period.

I'd say the two are quite comparable, and expect a third year Henne to be as good as a second year Sanchez. I would not, therefore, say "Sanchez is much better than Henne", because there are no facts in evidence as yet to prove that, although there certainly could be by the end of 2010.

And thats the point.[/QUOTE]

The point is if Sanchez = Henne in 2009, Sanchez is the better QB because he has less experience.

Now projecting as to what happens in 2010, we really have no clue. We can look at the trends and try to predict but that won't work.

In the end, we saw Sanchez play well against superior opponents in the postseason. He raised his game in the end. Henne, on the other hand, wilted under the pressure of a playoff push. Will those trends continue? I have no idea.

I will say this though: Any Michigan fan will tell you that Henne is bad in pressure situations and what we saw in December with Henne last year won't change that opinion.
    Last edited by SMC; 07-14-2010 at 10:53 AM.