Thread: Bart Scott's advice to Kenwin Cummings " Go at it 100 per cent"

Jets Insider VIP

Bart Scott's advice to Kenwin Cummings " Go at it 100 per cent"

Kenwin Cummings Gaining Confidence
    Posted on July 15th, 2010 by Bassett
    Jets backup linebacker and special teamer Kenwin Cumming recently talked to some children back in North Carolina where he grew up to encourage them to achieve and had some interesting nuggets that he imparted to a local reporter about his role with the Jets this year, and his relationship with the guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

Cummings was recently lauded by Rex Ryan while the coach was speaking with the media, and itís clear heís been encouraged by that according to his hometown paper, the Robesonian.

"Itís amazing heís pointing me out," Cummings said. "That builds your confidence. Itís always good, especially when you hear it coming from the head coach."

[...]

The third-year pro knows he will go into the 2010 season as a backup to David Harris and Bart Scott, but knows he will be looked to perform in other areas.

"The team said I will have a huge role on special teams," Cummings said. "I know I have to contribute on special teams and be the No. 1 guy."

Even though Harris and Scott are ahead of Cummings on the teamís depth chart, Cummings said both have been anxious to tutor him.

"David and Bart have really coached me up," Cummings said. "Theyíve probably coached me more than Rex and Bob Sutton, my position coach."

Cummings admitted one of his biggest fears when he was trying to make the Jets was making a mistake, but said Scott offered him a piece of advice.

"He told me to not think about it," Cummings said. "He told me to go out there and go at it 100 percent. Even if I made a mistake as long as it is at 100 percent I will be able to make up for it."

I love that Bart Scott anedote. Itís also interesting to hear that the team is expecting a lot from him on special teams this year.

All Pro
    Nice article.

I can easily see Kenwin Cummings become the next Mike Devito. He was an UDFA, he's been getting groomed in our system for a couple of years. In the event of an injury, I can see him stepping up and being a solid player.

Always seen Cummings as more of a thumper that was better suited for the Mangini/New England style 3-4.

They say he's moving around better though which would be really good. We need depth behind Harris and Bart even though losing either one of them would be tough.

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3647146]Always seen Cummings as more of a thumper that was better suited for the Mangini/New England style 3-4.

They say he's moving around better though which would be really good. We need depth behind Harris and Bart even though losing either one of them would be tough.[/QUOTE]

Read an article as well that said his agility/nimble movement had improved which bodes well for him and for the team in terms of providing competent depth.

these are the good stories for the jets. i think most fans know what to expect from the starters but it's the other guys who will have a near equal impact whether it be in relief duty or on special teams or even as the scout team in training camp.

a couple of guys like this can a world of difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=parafly;3647139]Nice article.

I can easily see Kenwin Cummings become the next Mike Devito. He was an UDFA, he's been getting groomed in our system for a couple of years. In the event of an injury, I can see him stepping up and being a solid player.[/QUOTE]

I have been a fan of Cummings since the Jets first signed him 2 years ago and I still maintain that he will be a stud ILBer when he gets his opportunity.

The kid can flat out play and could start right now for a number of other teams in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;3647493]these are the good stories for the jets. i think most fans know what to expect from the starters but it's the other guys who will have a near equal impact whether it be in relief duty or on special teams or even as the scout team in training camp.

[B]a couple of guys like this can a world of difference[/B].[/QUOTE]

right on man

We all know keeping bodies fresh is essential in this attacking defense. Kenwin sounds like he's ready to contribute in any way possible. Special teams was a clear achilles heel last season and we need sure tacklers like him on kickoff coverage. In regards to our D with coaches like Ryan, Pettine and Sutton not to mention Scott/Harris he has a great opportunity to make an impact.

This is also a nice story to further support the Bart Scott signing back in the 2009 offseason. He's a living embodiment of the Rex Ryan way, "its ok to make mistakes as long as your going 100%" -- that's the team philosophy being passed on (literally brought from the Ravens). This is in addition to his 92 tackles and leadership, I'm very happy with what Scott's given so far.

Overall, I love our depth at ILB after those three with Lance Laury and Cory Reamer, then a guy like Brashton Satele could make the roster.

I can smell training camp.

really lookin forward to see what guys like cummings & westerman can do for us this year.........pitoiuta is my wildcard in camp, could see him havin an impact on the DL this year like devito did in '09

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3647498]I have been a fan of Cummings since the Jets first signed him 2 years ago and I still maintain that he will be a stud ILBer when he gets his opportunity.

The kid can flat out play and could start right now for a number of other teams in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Always liked this player. CAN WIN Cummings!