Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Ferguson Retires

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Jason Ferguson Retires

[QUOTE] Thu 07-15-10
    RSS
    Bookmark and Share

The Miami Dolphins have announced today the retirement of defensive tackle Jason Ferguson.

A veteran of 13 NFL seasons, Ferguson spent the last two seasons with the Miami Dolphins. During his career he played in 159 games, including 128 starts for the New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys and the Miami Dolphins.

“You get what you put into this game. I would like to thank my family, the fans and the organizations that I have been a part of for their continued support throughout my career, it’s been an absolute blessing to play this long,” explained Ferguson. “I have built a lot of relationships, you develop an extended family playing this game; I would like to thank that extended family, the teammates, the coaches, the support staffs that have all played a part of a great ride.”

"Jason was a key contributor on three different teams for many years at one of the NFL’s toughest jobs,” stated Dolphins Executive Vice President of Football Operations Bill Parcells. “I am grateful and I will miss him.”

"I want to wish Jason well in his retirement,” said Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano. “He had a great career in the league and was professional in everything he did. I appreciate all he did for the Dolphins in his two years in Miami, and his leadership will be missed."

Ferguson was originally a seventh round selection (229th overall) of the New York Jets in 1997 out of the University of Georgia. He went on to play eight seasons for the Jets before signing with the Dallas Cowboys as an unrestricted free agent in 2005. He was acquired by the Dolphins in a trade with the Dallas Cowboys which also included the exchanging of sixth-round draft choices on February 9, 2008. During his 13 year career, he recorded 569 tackles, 21.5 sacks, 12 passes defensed, six forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/jason-ferguson-retires[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    great pick. good player.

All Pro
    I will never forget when we partied with him in the parking lot one game. His family and their limo was parked next to us and we invited them to our tailgate before the game. After the game, he came over and drank with us. Awesome, awesome guy. It was the last year he was on the Jets and asked us why none of us had a Ferguson jersey. I told him if he could guarantee me he would be a Jet the next year, I would buy one. He told us he would most likely end up in Dallas the next year. We couldn't believe he told us that, especially since we knew before the media did.

lol, so much for those he'll be well rested down the stretch arguments from Dolphag fans.

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3647414]great pick. good player.[/QUOTE]

Excellent value for that pick. Wished we had retained him longer than we did. Had a carousel at NT for some time until we finally picked up Jenks.

All League
    loved fergy when he was here

Would've been nice to have him down the stretch run. Our run defense turned to sh!t after he went down last year. Hopefully, Nolan's magic schemes, Karlos Dansby, and some more young bodies on the d-line should be enough to keep us respectable. My biggest question is whether Randy Starks will work at NT. Word is that he's bulked up to 315, so he's roughly the same size as Ferguson was.

kinda still have a carousel at nt because jenks can't seem to stay on the field. yes it's too bad they let him go.

[QUOTE=FijiJet;3647484]Excellent value for that pick. Wished we had retained him longer than we did. Had a carousel at NT for some time until we finally picked up Jenks.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=FijiJet;3647484]Excellent value for that pick. Wished we had retained him longer than we did. Had a carousel at NT for some time until we finally picked up Jenks.[/QUOTE]

+1 Could play 3-4 or 4-3 great value for a 7th rd pick..:yes:

All Pro
    I love it, anything that makes the Phins weaker works for me.

Veteran
    I always liked Fergie. That said, all this stuff I'm hearing about the Dolphins being a sleeping giant on defense is horsesh*t as far as I'm concerned. Their safeties suck. They don't know where the pass rush will come from. And now their starting nose tackle will be playing a new position for the entire season and not just the first 8 games. The 3-4 defense DOES NOT work without a quality guy plugging the middle! That's not to say Randy Starks isn't a good player. He is. Which by the way, says alot about how well Pouha played when Jenks went down. Pouha played the game of his life against the Chargers in the Divisional Round.
    Last edited by RoadFan; 07-15-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Veteran
    Great Jet! Good luck Fergy!!:rockon:

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3647494]Would've been nice to have him down the stretch run. Our run defense turned to sh!t after he went down last year. Hopefully, Nolan's magic schemes, Karlos Dansby, and some more young bodies on the d-line should be enough to keep us respectable. My biggest question is whether Randy Starks will work at NT. Word is that he's bulked up to 315, so he's roughly the same size as Ferguson was.[/QUOTE]

i really don't care about dolfans opinion about his team on a jets board:zzz:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Ferg was definitely a guy who was under appreciated until he was gone.

In fact.. this calls for a song..

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ[/IMG]

A question for all of the Dolphins fans on this site...

Is this as major a loss as I think it is? This guy was always a stud for us in whatever formation we installed him in. Fregie was great as a NT for us. Who on the Dolphins will replace him? is that player a suitable replacement for Fergie?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3647725]A question for all of the Dolphins fans on this site...

Is this as major a loss as I think it is? This guy was always a stud for us in whatever formation we installed him in. Fregie was great as a NT for us. Who on the Dolphins will replace him? is that player a suitable replacement for Fergie?[/QUOTE]

... do they already have someone capable in there filling the nose? ... i probably should but don't know the answer to this ... was he expendable at this point? ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;3647750]... do they already have someone capable in there filling the nose? ... i probably should but don't know the answer to this ... was he expendable at this point? ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Their best DE was going to fill the NT role for the first 8 games.

Now he'll fill it for the entire year.

Randy Starks.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3647752]Their best DE was going to fill the NT role for the first 8 games.

Now he'll fill it for the entire year.

Randy Starks.[/QUOTE]

... thx! ...

was he one of parcells first picks? he was certainly one of "parcells guys" and that makes it no surprise about the dallas comment. he was good for us, certainly was better than earnie logan or whomever else played in that position!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3647494]Would've been nice to have him down the stretch run. Our run defense turned to sh!t after he went down last year. Hopefully, Nolan's magic schemes, Karlos Dansby, and some more young bodies on the d-line should be enough to keep us respectable. My biggest question is whether Randy Starks will work at NT. Word is that he's bulked up to 315, so he's roughly the same size as Ferguson was.[/QUOTE]

Fergie was never listed at anything above 312 or so, but I always thought he was probably heavier than that - it just never made it into the press guides. 310 - 315 is pretty small to play NT (unless you are have weirdly abnormal strength like Kelly Gregg), and Fergie never seemed out of place or overmatched when over Center.

What's the story with Paul Soliai? He's a big dude from what I remember. Is he nothing more than a rotational guy or could he get plugged in at NT?