Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL network does a piece tonight on top LBers and counts down the top 5

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

NFL network does a piece tonight on top LBers and counts down the top 5

ILBers in the NFL. They even gave an honroable mention to a few other ILBer's they thought were worth talking about and David Harris does not even get mentioned.

How the hell does that happen?? :dunno:
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-17-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    What were the Top 5? My guess would be Willis, Lewis, Ryans, Beason and Mayo.

Harris should definitely be in any conversation that talks about guys who just missed the list.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3647513]What were the Top 5? My guess would be Willis, Lewis, Ryans, Beason and Mayo.

Harris should definitely be in any conversation that talks about guys who just missed the list.[/QUOTE]

Substitute Lofa Totupu for Mayo and you nailed it but I don't remember the exact order they were in.

Harris is better then Ryan, Beason & Totupu in my opinion.

Undrafted Free Agent
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Until he signs a new contract, Harris is average at best :deal:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=YorkPAJetsFan;3647528]SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Until he signs a new contract, Harris is average at best :deal:[/QUOTE]

We won't have any problems resigning Harris, he is a humble keep your head down & work type of guy who is not full of himself. He won't hold out and he won't cry and complain about his contract, that's not the type of man he is.

David Harris will be a Jet for as long as he wants to be here.

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3647531]We won't have any problems resigning Harris, he is a humble keep your head down & work type of guy who is not full of himself. He won't hold out and he won't cry and complain about his contract, that's not the type of man he is.

[B]David Harris will be a Jet for as long as he wants to be here[/B].[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.

All Pro
    Was it ILB/MLB only? If it's all LBs Harris doesn't get a whiff of the top 5 but for the guys in the middle, he certainly is in the conversation if not on the list.

[QUOTE=nycdan;3647576]Was it ILB/MLB only? If it's all LBs Harris doesn't get a whiff of the top 5 but for the guys in the middle, he certainly is in the conversation if not on the list.[/QUOTE]

It was inside linebackers & Harris not even mentioned is fugging ridiculous!
    Harris might not have the speed of Willis but he brings a helluva lot more pop when he arrives on the scene.
    Lofa Tutupu over Harris is just stupid.

Seems everytime Harris hits someone, they get up slowly. You put Harris in a police lineup & he'd get picked out everytime. "That's the guy"
    He's one scary looking Mofo.

[QUOTE=YorkPAJetsFan;3647528]SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Until he signs a new contract, Harris is average at best :deal:[/QUOTE]

LOL. Totally agree. Call Rex, will you?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3647531]We won't have any problems resigning Harris, he is a humble keep your head down & work type of guy who is not full of himself. He won't hold out and he won't cry and complain about his contract, that's not the type of man he is.

David Harris will be a Jet for as long as he wants to be here.[/QUOTE]

I hope your right (at least partially b/c I recently got a real 52 jersey) but if they let him get to free agency, they're playing a very risky game. The average moron fan or tv talking head may not realize how good he is, but 31 other front offices do, for sure.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetster;3647751]It was inside linebackers & Harris not even mentioned is fugging ridiculous!
    Harris might not have the speed of Willis but he brings a helluva lot more pop when he arrives on the scene.
    Lofa Tutupu over Harris is just stupid.

Seems everytime Harris hits someone, they get up slowly. You put Harris in a police lineup & he'd get picked out everytime. "That's the guy"
    He's one scary looking Mofo.[/QUOTE]

Anyone remember Mac (Bill Duke) from the original 'Predator' movie? Harris always reminded me of him and he definitely was a scary guy.

[img]http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/c9/Commando_MAC-10A.jpg/500px-Commando_MAC-10A.jpg[/img]

Jets Insider VIP
    I saw this last night as well and as soon as they announced Tatupu at #5 I knew Harris would be off Wilcotts' list. And I bet if Beason wasn't in studio, Harris would have made the list. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nycdan;3647772]Anyone remember Mac (Bill Duke) from the original 'Predator' movie? Harris always reminded me of him and he definitely was a scary guy.

[img]http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/c9/Commando_MAC-10A.jpg/500px-Commando_MAC-10A.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]
    He should yell "[B]CONTAAACT!" [/B]whenever he has a beeline to the QB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3647523]Substitute Lofa Totupu for Mayo and you nailed it but I don't remember the exact order they were in.

Harris is better then Ryan, Beason & Totupu in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I think Harris suffers somewhat from playing next to Scott. In addition to the big contract he got (putting aside whether it was actually worth it), he's a big mouth, so when non-Jet fans think of our LBs, they probably think of him first. Then, on the next level, some probably discount his play somewhat, as he has Scott clearing the way for him (in truth, there's some merit to that). And, as you suggest, Harris isn't a flashy player.

Still, if Harris isn't considered a Top 5 LB, he's certainly in the discussion and is definitely worthy of an honorable mention. I don't watch Beason all that much (he's considered quite good), but from what I've seen of Ryans, I think Harris falls legitimately on his level. Willis is a beast and deserves to be considered top LBer, IMO.

The fact that we overpaid considerably for a TED (who also has the ability to play MIKE) in Bart Scott, shouldn't take away from Harris's performance.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3647781]I think Harris suffers somewhat from playing next to Scott. In addition to the big contract he got (putting aside whether it was actually worth it), he's a big mouth, so when non-Jet fans think of our LBs, they probably think of him first. Then, on the next level, some probably discount his play somewhat, as he has Scott clearing the way for him (in truth, there's some merit to that). And, as you suggest, Harris isn't a flashy player.

[B]Still, if Harris isn't considered a Top 5 LB, he's certainly in the discussion and is definitely worthy of an honorable mention.[/B] I don't watch Beason all that much (he's considered quite good), but from what I've seen of Ryans, I think Harris falls legitimately on his level. Willis is a beast and deserves to be considered top LBer, IMO.

The fact that we overpaid considerably for a TED (who also has the ability to play MIKE) in Bart Scott, shouldn't take away from Harris's performance.[/QUOTE]

Second team all-pro and they leave him off the list. :eek::shakehead

All League
    Lofa Tatupu is just plain wrong.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Jets Things;3647788]Second team all-pro and they leave him off the list. :eek::shakehead[/QUOTE]

Was he really? I didn't remember that. Glad he got the kind of recognition.

But you're right - if a guy is second team All Pro, he certainly should be in the discussion of best at the position. All Pro is legit - that's not simply a Pro Bowl nod.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Harris doesn't have a large body of work yet. He'll get into the top-5 if he has another beastly season here in '10. He is better than Mayo, I don't think anyone other than Jet fans are putting ahead of Tatupu though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3647912]Harris doesn't have a large body of work yet. He'll get into the top-5 if he has another beastly season here in '10. He is better than Mayo,[B] I don't think anyone other than Jet fans are putting him ahead of Tatupu though[/B].[/QUOTE]

[B][U]Tatupu[/U][/B] 2005 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 104 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 INT's, 0 FF, 6 passes defended
    2006 stats 16 games started, 122 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF, 6 passes defended
    2007 stats 16 games started, 109 tackles, 1 sack, 4 INT's, 3 FF, 9 passes defended
    2008 stats 15 games started, 94 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF, 4 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 5 games started, 32 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT's, 0 FF, 2 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Harris[/U][/B] 2007 (rookie season) stats 9 games started, 127 tackles, 5 sacks, 0 INT's, 2 FF, 3 passes defended
    2008 stats 11 games started, 75 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT's, 0 FF, 1 pass defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 127 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT's, 2 FF, 3 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Beason[/U][/B] 2007 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 140 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 1 INT, 6 passes defended
    2008 stats 16 games started, 138 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 3 INT's, 8 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 141 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 FF, 3 INT's, 7 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Ryans[/U][/B] 2006 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 155 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, 5 passes defended
    2007 stats 16 games started, 128 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, 7 passes defended
    2008 stats 16 games started, 112 tackles, 1 sack, 2 FF, 0 INT's, 4 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 123 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 0 INT's, 2 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Willis[/U][/B] 2007 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 174 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FF, 0 INT's, 5 passes defended
    2008 stats 16 games started, 141 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 INT, 10 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 152 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT's, 8 passes defended [/B]

Be your own judge.

In my opinion, Harris is clearly on the rise and Tatupu is clearly in decline.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-16-2010 at 04:37 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3648247][B][U]Tatupu[/U][/B] 2005 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 104 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 INT's, 0 FF, 6 passes defended
    2006 stats 16 games started, 122 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF, 6 passes defended
    2007 stats 16 games started, 109 tackles, 1 sack, 4 INT's, 3 FF, 9 passes defended
    2008 stats 15 games started, 94 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF, 4 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 5 games started, 32 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT's, 0 FF, 2 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Harris[/U][/B] 2007 (rookie season) stats 9 games started, 127 tackles, 5 sacks, 0 INT's, 2 FF,
    3 passes defended
    2008 stats 11 games started, 75 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT's, 0 FF, 1 pass defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 127 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT's, 2 FF, 3 passes defended[/B]

Be your own judge.

In my opinion, Harris is clearly on the rise and Tatupu is clearly in decline.[/QUOTE]

They are both under rated IMO. Harris is a BEAST and a top 5 MLB but Tatupu is not far behind, probably in the 6-9 range.

Only thing that is hurting Tatupu is injuries, he was one of the best play making LBs back in 2007, but 2008 he was just above average and last year injured.

Going into 2010 I would rank Harris a spot or two ahead of Tatupu, but I am looking for both of them to have huge seasons this year. Wouldnt surprise me if Tatupu won Comeback Player of the Year either (or finish 2nd, right behind Urlacher).