View Poll Results: Who is the BEST MLB playing in the NFL TODAY???

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ray Lewis (BAL)

5 5.75%
  • Patrick Willis (SF)

60 68.97%
  • Jon Beason (CAR)

2 2.30%
  • DeMeco Ryans (HOU)

0 0%
  • Lofa Tatupu (SEA)

0 0%
  • David Harris (NYJ)

19 21.84%
  • other...

1 1.15%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TOP MLBs in the NFL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

TOP MLBs in the NFL

I was watching the NFL Network earlier and they had Jon Beason from the Panthers in studio. They were discussing the top MLBs in the NFL, it is a great debate as their is plenty of talent at this position in the league today. Here is their list of the TOP 5 MLBs in the NFL playing today.....

[B]5. Lofa Tatupu - Seattle Seahawks[/B]

[B]4. DeMeco Ryans - Houston Texans[/B]

[B]3. Jon Beason - Carolina Panthers[/B]

[B]2. Patrick Willis - San Fransisco 49ers[/B]

[B]1. Ray Lewis - Baltimore Ravens[/B]

First thing that comes to mind......[B]Where the HELL is [U]David Harris[/U]?!?![/B]

Yes, all five of these MLBs are [I]excellent players[/I], but IMO Harris has to be on that list. Lofa Tatupu is under rated and not as well known, probably because he plays in Seattle and has had injury problems as of late, but he is a very good MLB that has the speed and awareness to make plays all over the field, not to mention a great leader.

Ryans and Beason are both young, talented leaders for their teams in the middle of their defenses and both have been playmakers since day one, especially Ryans who won DROY in his rookie season. These guys are a step up from Tatupu in my opinion.

Patrick Willis is for my money the best MLB in the NFL today and is on the next level up from Ryans, Beason, etc. He is a straight BEAST, he still is very young and has the potential to get even better and better. Also having one of the all time greats to play the position in Mike Singletary as your HC is a huge plus as well.

Now I can see why they would rank Ray Lewis number one as he is an all time great, one of the best to ever do it. However, this is [B]2010[/B], Lewis is past his prime and is no longer the best in the NFL anymore. Dont get me wrong, he is one of the best players I have seen play ALL TIME regardless of position, the man is still a top 5-8 MLB today even in his mid 30s, but he is not what he use to be. I wouldnt have a problem if they even put him number two behind Willis, but obviously they have him at number one because of his career and reputation, not because he is the best MLB playing today.

Personally, I would have David Harris at number 3 (4 tops) only having Willis and possibly Beason ahead of him.

Other honorable mentions in no particular order....Brain Urlacher, London Fletcher, James Farrior, Nick Barnett, Jonathan Vilma and Keith Bulluck (not sure if he is still playing at MLB though) Karlos Dansby IF he will be playing in the middle this year as well.

[B]So whats your list, where would you have David Harris, who is your number one???[/B]
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 07-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will throw in my top 5....

5. DeMeco Ryans (HOU)

4. Ray Lewis (BAL)

2b. Jon Beason (CAR)

2a. David Harris (NYJ)

1. Patrick Willis (SF)

IF Urlacher comes back at 100% I would have to have him at 5 instead of Ryans.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 07-16-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Willis
    2. Lewis
    3. Beason
    4. Harris
    5. Ryans

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who the hell voted for Ray Lewis, David Harris and Jon Beason?

This isn't even a discussion.

It's Patrick Willis and then everybody else.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3648101]Who the hell voted for Ray Lewis, David Harris and Jon Beason?

It's Patrick Willis and then everybody else.[/QUOTE]

+1 for the top spot its really no contest, Willis is a straight BEAST!

The real discussion is after 1 where everyone else falls, there is ALOT of talent at the position, going 2-5 or even 2-10 is very debatable IMO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3648056]I will [B]through[/B] in my top 5....

5. DeMeco Ryans (HOU)

4. Ray Lewis (BAL)

2b. Jon Beason (CAR)

2a. David Harris (NYJ)

1. Patrick Willis (SF)

IF Urlacher comes back at 100% I would have to have him at 5 instead of Ryans.[/QUOTE]

You threw in the wrong throw! ;)

btw: Your rankings are the same as mine.

However, I personally don't care much for how our individual players on D rank (other than Revis...I care very deeply when someone mentions him as anything but the best) so long as our defense as a whole is #1.

I don't think anyone would disagree with a ranking of Harris/Scott as the #1 MLB tandem in the league....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Willis
    2. Beason
    3. Lewis
    4. Harris
    5. Ryans
    6. Fletcher

needed to add fletcher, he is one of the most solid and consistant mlb's in the league and needs some credit

my rankings are based on the past, this year im expecting Harris (i believe last year he was #2 in sacks for MLB's) to step up his game that extra step to be considered top 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Patrick Willis
    2. Jon Beason
    3. David Harris
    4. Ray Lewis
    5. DeMeco Ryans

Harris has really been a stud from day one. If he would've started every game in '07, he probably would've beat out Willis for DROY.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Willis
    2. Beason
    3. Ryans
    4. A healthy D'qwell Jackson
    5. Fletcher
    6. Harris

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    as i understand it, a 4-3 mlb is very different from a 3-4 so there should be separate categories based on what scheme a team generally uses. also, how well an mlb is also a function of the beef in front of him. if he is exposed, he will be mauled by the center or guard, even if he is ray lewis or patrick willis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Willis is hands down, the best LB in the game today, but I rank David Harris right behind Willis. Harris is a top 5 MLB for sure. I rank David Harris as the 2nd best 3-4 MLB; Only behind Willis of the 49ers.

David Harris recorded 127 total tackles last season; Ranks 9th amongst OLB's/MLB's and ranks 3rd amongst all 3-4 MLB's: Willis: 152 Tackles. Lewis: 134 Tackles.

David Harris also knows how to get after the QB. Harris put up 5 1/2 sacks last year. Lawrence Timmons of the Steelers was the only MLB to put up more sacks than David Harris last year. Timmons had 7. Willis had 4 sacks, Lewis had 3.

[B]Lets not forget: David Harris really turned his game up during the Playoffs.[/B]

David Harris ranked #2 of any player in tackles during the playoffs; With 25.

David Harris ranked 4th of any player in Sacks during the playoffs; With 2. That was good enough to rank Harris #1 in sacks during the playoffs out of all MLB's.

David Harris also forced a fumble during the playoffs.

[B]Overall MLB's.[/B]
    Patrick Willis
    David Harris
    Jon Beason
    Ray Lewis
    DeMeco Ryans

[B]3-4 MLB's:[/B]
    Patrick Willis
    David Harris
    Ray Lewis
    James Farrior
    D.J. Williams

4-3 MLB's:
    Jon Beason
    DeMeco Ryans
    Jonathan Vilma
    Barrett Ruud
    London Fletcher

Lets not act like David Harris has came out of nowhere either. David Harris was ranked as the Nations #1 3-4 MLB coming out of College and would have won the ROY award over Willis if he started a full season.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 07-16-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3648101]Who the hell voted for Ray Lewis, David Harris and Jon Beason?

It's Patrick Willis and then everybody else.[/QUOTE]

Really?

Since coming into the league in 2007, Willis has played in 48 games, 467 tackles, 9 sacks, 6 Forced Fumbles and 4 INT's.

Since coming into the league in 2007, Harris has played in 43 games, 329 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 4 Forced Fumbles and 2 INT's.

Harris never became a starter during his rookie season until week 8, and during his 2nd year, he missed 5 games due to a fluke injury.

When David Harris has played, he's been just as; If not MORE productive than Willis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648212]Really?

Since coming into the league in 2007, Willis has played in 48 games, 467 tackles, 9 sacks, 6 Forced Fumbles and 4 INT's.

Since coming into the league in 2007, Harris has played in 43 games, 329 tackles, 11.5 sacks, 4 Forced Fumbles and 2 INT's.

Harris never became a starter during his rookie season until week 8, and during his 2nd year, he missed 5 games due to a fluke injury.

When David Harris has played, he's been just as; If not MORE productive than Willis.[/QUOTE]

I've watched them both play.

There are some things stats don't tell you.

Patrick Willis is better than David Harris.

There isn't a single person here who would disagree with it, including you, other than for the sake of being purposefully vindictive.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=greenwichjetfan;3648112]You threw in the wrong throw! ;)

btw: Your rankings are the same as mine.

However, I personally don't care much for how our individual players on D rank (other than Revis...I care very deeply when someone mentions him as anything but the best) so long as our defense as a whole is #1.

I don't think anyone would disagree with a ranking of Harris/Scott as the #1 MLB tandem in the league....[/QUOTE]

LoL Yeah Ima have to change that.

Agree with you about Harris/Scott tandem, they are the heart of our defense and are the main reason why Rex was able to get us to the number one defense last year (along with REVIS obviously).

As for individual rankings, I would love someone to try an argue that there is a CB playing right now better than Revis, they would be kidding themselves. I have said numerous times that Revis is the best Defensive Player in the NFL period and probably the best overall player in the league not named Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648197]Willis is hands down, the best LB in the game today, but I rank [B]David Harris[/B] right behind Willis. [B]Harris [/B]is a top 5 MLB for sure. I rank [B]David Harris [/B]as the 2nd best 3-4 MLB; Only behind Willis of the 49ers.

[B]David Harris[/B] recorded 127 total tackles last season; Ranks 9th amongst OLB's/MLB's and ranks 3rd amongst all 3-4 MLB's: Willis: 152 Tackles. Lewis: 134 Tackles.

[B]David Harris[/B] also knows how to get after the QB. [B]Harris [/B]put up 5 1/2 sacks last year. Lawrence Timmons of the Steelers was the only MLB to put up more sacks than [B]David Harris[/B] last year. Timmons had 7. Willis had 4 sacks, Lewis had 3.

Lets not forget: [B]David Harris [/B]really turned his game up during the Playoffs.
    [B]David Harris[/B] ranked #2 of any player in tackles during the playoffs; With 25.

[B]David Harris[/B] ranked 4th of any player in Sacks during the playoffs; With 2. That was good enough to rank Harris #1 in sacks during the playoffs out of all MLB's.

[B]David Harris [/B]also forced a fumble during the playoffs.

[B]Overall MLB's.[/B]
    Patrick Willis
    [B]David Harris[/B]
    Jon Beason
    Ray Lewis
    DeMeco Ryans

[B]3-4 MLB's:[/B]
    Patrick Willis
    [B]David Harris[/B]
    Ray Lewis
    James Farrior
    D.J. Williams

4-3 MLB's:
    Jon Beason
    DeMeco Ryans
    Jonathan Vilma
    Barrett Ruud
    London Fletcher

Lets not act like [B]David Harris [/B]has came out of nowhere either. [B]David Harris [/B]was ranked as the Nations #1 3-4 MLB coming out of College and would have won the ROY award over Willis if he started a full season.[/QUOTE]
    David Harris huh? :O

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648197]
    Lets not act like David Harris has came out of nowhere either. David Harris was ranked as the Nations #1 3-4 MLB coming out of College and [B]would have won the ROY award over Willis if he started a full season[/B].[/QUOTE]

Very good point DWC, Harris came in for an injured Vilma basiclly half way through the season and was a straight [B]BEAST[/B] since the first snap.

[B]Patrick Willis Rookie Season:[/B]

Games: 16
    Games Started: 16
    Total Tackles: 174
    Unassisted Tackles: 135
    Assisted Tackles: 39
    Sacks: 4.0
    Interceptions: 0
    Passes Defensed: 5
    Forced Fumbles: 2

[B]David Harris Rookie Season:[/B]

Games Started: 9
    Total Tackles: 127
    Unassisted Tackles: 90
    Assisted Tackles: 37
    Sacks: 5.0
    Passes Defensed: 3

If Harris started 16 like Willis then its no stretch or doubt in my mind he would of won DROY. They're both excellent MLBs in the 3-4, I would still give Willis the title of the Top MLB in Football, but Harris isnt that far behind.

Also, didnt realize how good of a pass rusher Harris is from the middle, the man could put up 7-8 sacks in his 2nd year under Rex, he is a [B]BEAST[/B] and [B]PLAYMAKER[/B]. Still under rated in my opinion from a national standpoint.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 07-16-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3648252]Very good point DWC, Harris came in for an injured Vilma basiclly half way through the season and was a straight [B]BEAST[/B] since the first snap.

[B]Patrick Willis Rookie Season:[/B]

Games Started: 16
    Total Tackles: 174
    Unassisted Tackles: 135
    Assisted Tackles: 39
    Sacks: 4.0
    Passes Defensed: 5

[B]David Harris Rookie Season:[/B]

Games Started: 9
    Total Tackles: 127
    Unassisted Tackles: 90
    Assisted Tackles: 37
    Sacks: 5.0
    Passes Defensed: 3

If Harris started 16 like Willis then its no stretch or doubt in my mind he would of won DROY. They're both excellent MLBs in the 3-4, I would still give Willis the title of the Top MLB in Football, but Harris isnt that far behind.

Also, didnt realize how good of a pass rusher Harris is from the middle, the man could put up 7-8 sacks in his 2nd year under Rex, he is a [B]BEAST[/B] and [B]PLAYMAKER[/B]. Still under rated in my opinion from a national standpoint.[/QUOTE]

Strong post PaPZ. The Jets drafted a 3-4 Beast in David Harris. Under Rex Ryan, the sky is the limit for this man. He plays like an animal out there.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B][U]Tatupu[/U][/B] 2005 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 104 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 INT's, 0 FF, 6 passes defended
    2006 stats 16 games started, 122 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF, 6 passes defended
    2007 stats 16 games started, 109 tackles, 1 sack, 4 INT's, 3 FF, 9 passes defended
    2008 stats 15 games started, 94 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF, 4 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 5 games started, 32 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT's, 0 FF, 2 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Harris[/U][/B] 2007 (rookie season) stats 9 games started, 127 tackles, 5 sacks, 0 INT's, 2 FF, 3 passes defended
    2008 stats 11 games started, 75 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT's, 0 FF, 1 pass defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 127 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT's, 2 FF, 3 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Beason[/U][/B] 2007 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 140 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 1 INT, 6 passes defended
    2008 stats 16 games started, 138 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 FF, 3 INT's, 8 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 141 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 FF, 3 INT's, 7 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Ryans[/U][/B] 2006 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 155 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, 5 passes defended
    2007 stats 16 games started, 128 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT, 7 passes defended
    2008 stats 16 games started, 112 tackles, 1 sack, 2 FF, 0 INT's, 4 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 123 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 0 INT's, 2 passes defended[/B]

[B][U]Willis[/U][/B] 2007 (rookie season) stats 16 games started, 174 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 FF, 0 INT's, 5 passes defended
    2008 stats 16 games started, 141 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 INT, 10 passes defended
    [B]2009 stats 16 games started, 152 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT's, 8 passes defended[/B]
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-16-2010 at 04:34 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648259]Strong post PaPZ. The Jets drafted a 3-4 Beast in David Harris. Under Rex Ryan, the sky is the limit for this man. He plays like an animal out there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks....

Yeah MLB is my favorite position on the field and to have a MONSTER like Harris roaming the middle for our Defense with Rex as our HC is a deadly combo for the opposition!

This Defense will be fun to watch for not just this year, but years to come!:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3648068]Honestly I don't think David Harris belongs in this conversation.

He did at the outset of his career, he was a flatout monster, flying to the ball and creating huge collisions on impact, every bit the dominant middle/inside linebacker ... but I haven't seen that same explosion and ferocity since he suffered that injury two years ago. He's still very good, but I haven't seen that kind of wrecking machine.

I hope he can get back to 100% and become that player again, but I haven't seen that player since the initial injury.

If he does become that player again, this defense can be more than #1 from a statistical POV, they can also be the most important thing you can be as a defense ... scary.[/QUOTE]

the 1st 4 or 5 games last season he was a flat out monster... harris and b scortt were all over the football... but later in the season harris was very very good but not great..... part of it was prob jenkins going down and harris having to take on more responsibilty not being able to just fly to the ball