Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on our Wildcat Formation heading into the season?

Banned

Thoughts on our Wildcat Formation heading into the season?

This is just one small aspect of our Offense, that Jet fans really haven't talked about all that much this offseason.

Last year we seen Brad Smith come on strong for the Jets heading into the playoffs out of the Wildcat Formation.

Brad Smith showed us all what he could do out of the Wildcat Formation against the Bengals during week 17; 4 Rushing Attempts, 92 yards, 1 TD.

Against the Colts? We finially seen Brad Smith pass the Football out of the Wildcat Formation; Connecting with Jerricho Cotchery for 45 yards.

I would hate to see the Jets run the formation as much as the Dolphins, but I would love to see this Formation a good 3-4 or maybe even 5 times per game. The Jets actually have the types of players in place, that can cause plenty of confusion for opposing D's.

Brad Smith can be our Ronnie Brown type of X-Factor under Center. The key is: Brad Smith can actually hit the open man. Brad Smith was actually one of the most productive rushing QB's of all time during his college years.

Shonn Greene can become our Ricky Williams type of Power Back.

We also have two backs in L.T and Joe McKnight who can catch out of the Backfield. L.T also has experience with this formation. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwI65ZkdZI[/url]

Brad Smith under center, Shonn Greene on one side, with L.T in motion before the snap of the ball? Could be exciting.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648134]Could be exciting.[/QUOTE]

[I]POSSIBLY.[/I]

c'mon, the wildcat is more of a *****cat. sure it can be interesting because of all the misdirection but if the other team sniffs it out, then bad things can happen. on those brad smith run plays against the bengals, he was helped by the poor tackling by the bengals. the jets got good line push but there was a bengal who missed a tackle too. brad smith isn't quite the same threat as ronnie brown because he doesn't run with as much power.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Yeah, it's a good way to get the ball into Brad Smith's hands. He never was able to develop into a receiver, not good enough routes or hands, so this is a good wrinkle in Schottenheimer's playbook.

... the less the better ...

l_j_r

the Jets don't use the Wildcat formation.

The idea of using a wildcat on a frequent basis is one of the most exciting things to look forward to this season IMO. And, we have a solid enough group to do this with the best of 'em :D

My only worry, will our wildcat be as good as Miami's? Crap I hate the Fish. I'm even starting to hate Parcells :yes:

I like using the Wildcat for 5 plays a game because it gives, Sanchez a play off now and then, that allows coachs to coach Sanchez as a drive progresses.
    If Sanchez goes down, its Brunell or Ainge, and the wildcat at at least 35 %.

Jets Insider VIP
    use it in two games this season

against the frigging Dolphags

and best the crap out of them with it

I think we will see PLENTY of the Wild Cat this year.

from the Denver Broncos.

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648134]This is just one small aspect of our Offense, that Jet fans really haven't talked about all that much this offseason.

Last year we seen Brad Smith come on strong for the Jets heading into the playoffs out of the Wildcat Formation.

Brad Smith showed us all what he could do out of the Wildcat Formation against the Bengals during week 17; 4 Rushing Attempts, 92 yards, 1 TD.

Against the Colts? We finially seen Brad Smith pass the Football out of the Wildcat Formation; Connecting with Jerricho Cotchery for 45 yards.

I would hate to see the Jets run the formation as much as the Dolphins, but I would love to see this Formation a good 3-4 or maybe even 5 times per game. The Jets actually have the types of players in place, that can cause plenty of confusion for opposing D's.

Brad Smith can be our Ronnie Brown type of X-Factor under Center. The key is: Brad Smith can actually hit the open man. Brad Smith was actually one of the most productive rushing QB's of all time during his college years.

Shonn Greene can become our Ricky Williams type of Power Back.

We also have two backs in L.T and Joe McKnight who can catch out of the Backfield. L.T also has experience with this formation. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwI65ZkdZI[/url]

Brad Smith under center, Shonn Greene on one side, with L.T in motion before the snap of the ball? Could be exciting.[/QUOTE]

i agree 100% i just dont want it used on 3rd and long..... brad smith is one of our best play makers and serious threat to go the distance and like buzzsaw said its a good way to get the ball in his hands because he is not a consistent WR.... i look foward shotty opening up the wildcat formation for Brad Smith in a few ways this year

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3648194]Yeah, it's a good way to get the ball into Brad Smith's hands. He never was able to develop into a receiver, not good enough routes or hands, so this is a good wrinkle in Schottenheimer's playbook.[/QUOTE]

+1 Brad Smith showed us he can make some big plays when he has the ball in his hands last season. He was very effective in the "Wildcat" for us and did a very good job as a kick returner as well.

I dont want to see the Jets make it a huge part of their offense like Miami does, but keep it in for 3-5 plays a game and Smith can make some big plays for our offense as well as provide a change of pace.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Whatever it takes to score.... I'm more into stopping the other team from scoring, much more difficult.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3648303]+1 Brad Smith showed us he can make some big plays when he has the ball in his hands last season. He was very effective in the "Wildcat" for us and did a very good job as a kick returner as well.

I dont want to see the Jets make it a huge part of their offense like Miami does, but keep it in for 3-5 plays a game and Smith can make some big plays for our offense as well as provide a change of pace.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The Jets have the ability to play smash mouth Football when it comes down to our Rushing attack; We don't NEED this Formation, but we do have the players to make it work and it all starts with Brad Smith. 3-5 times a game would be perfect in my eyes.

The Wildcat is gimmick used by cowardly teams that lack the talent to compete against their opponents in a gentlemanly fashion. I can't respect that stuff. We're in the NFL. Don't come here with that nonsense.

Joking aside, Brad Smith is ideal for the Wildcat. Decent runner, decent passer. If you're smart with it, it can win you games. I know for a fact we don't beat the Jets on Monday Night without it.

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3648360][B]The Wildcat is gimmick used by cowardly teams that lack the talent to compete against their opponents in a gentlemanly fashion. I can't respect that stuff. We're in the NFL. Don't come here with that nonsense.
    [/B]
    Joking aside, Brad Smith is ideal for the Wildcat. Decent runner, decent passer. If you're smart with it, it can win you games. I know for a fact we don't beat the Jets on Monday Night without it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed :yes::D

[QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3648360]The Wildcat is gimmick used by cowardly teams that lack the talent to compete against their opponents in a gentlemanly fashion. I can't respect that stuff. We're in the NFL. Don't come here with that nonsense.

Joking aside, Brad Smith is ideal for the Wildcat. Decent runner, decent passer. If you're smart with it, it can win you games. I know for a fact we don't beat the Jets on Monday Night without it.[/QUOTE]

Meh. For all the crap the Dolphins caught for using a "college formation" they won with it and winning was all that mattered.

With that said, it will die off again at some point. It always does.

[QUOTE=Hitman Harris;3648285]I think we will see PLENTY of the Wild Cat this year.

from the Denver Broncos.[/QUOTE]

I think you bring up an interesting point ( and your funny too). The Bronco's drafted Tebow pretty high, they may be the new model for the Wildcat in the NFL... Smith> Tebow

Banned
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3648371]Meh. For all the crap the Dolphins caught for using a "college formation" [B]they won with it and winning was all that mattered.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Since when was 7-9 "Winning" with anything?

[QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648408]Since when was 7-9 "Winning" with anything?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware last year was the only year they used the formation :rolleyes: