Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apparently the Jets were not the only ones who thought the end was near for Faneca.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the Jets were not the only ones who thought the end was near for Faneca.

[B]Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. observes that new Cardinals LG Alan Faneca "is more or less washed up."[/B]

[B]"He is a declining player that cannot protect very well," [/B]Williamson said in an ESPN chat. Though Faneca's release from the Jets was blasted in some circles, the consensus among those who broke down his 2009 play was that the end is nearing for the 33-year-old. The good news for Arizona is that Faneca can still run block, and the Cards will be running more this year.
    Source: ESPN.com

[URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx?rwr=1"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx?rwr=1[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does not take much analysis to see that he was the weakest link on our offensive line last year. He is a still a respectable run blocker especially when he is pulling, but his pass blocking skills have eroded greatly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the open market doesn't lie either... he got a very cheap deal to play for Arizona.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    faneca was a 'declining player' when the jets signed him 2 years ago. He did a pretty good job for the jets. anytime you can get alan faneca as a stop-gap, why not?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've rewatched a lot of the jets games on NFL Replay on NFLN and have to give Faneca credit for consistently very good run blocking but with a young franchise QB your priority needs to be protecting him and Faneca gave up an absurd amount of sacks and super clean hits on Sanchez for the guard position. Guards should never give up the amount of sacks he did last season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ARodFLKeysJetsFan;3648222][B]Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. observes that new Cardinals LG Alan Faneca "is more or less washed up."[/B]

[B]"He is a declining player that cannot protect very well," [/B]Williamson said in an ESPN chat. Though Faneca's release from the Jets was blasted in some circles, the consensus among those who broke down his 2009 play was that the end is nearing for the 33-year-old. The good news for Arizona is that Faneca can still run block, and the Cards will be running more this year.
    Source: ESPN.com

[URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx?rwr=1"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx?rwr=1[/URL][/QUOTE]

Tanny is not going to over-pay for a player(s) on their decline, especially when there are guys like Ducasse to be had in the draft and Callahan's boy already in camp! Alan was a great run blocker, but he also had great bookends on each side!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigEthel;3648269][B]Tanny is not going to over-pay for a player(s) on their decline,[/B] especially when there are guys like Ducasse to be had in the draft and Callahan's boy already in camp! Alan was a great run blocker, but he also had great bookends on each side![/QUOTE]

He did two years ago.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know how everyone talks about the Steelers letting players go at the right time? Well, the Jets have done a good job @ letting go of players @ the right time over the past couple of years as well.

The Steelers let go of Faneca a couple of seasons too early. That run game has never been the same since Faneca left. Never.

We had an All-Pro talent in Vilma, but he wasn't built for the 3-4 Defense. David Harris took over for Vilma and the Jets D hasn't looked back since. It was tough to see Vilma go; But the Jets hit the nail on the head with that move.

Laveranues Coles who just isn't the same type of player anymore. In 2008 Coles put up 70 catches, 850 yards and 7 TD's with the Jets. Last year with the Bengals? Big drop off. 43 Catches, 514 yards, 5 TD's. The Jets let Coles go at the right time.

Chad Pennington: Not even a starter in the league anymore. The Jets? Franchise QB in the making in Mark Sanchez.

Eric Barton who only started 8 games for the Raiders last year, after starting all 16 games for the Jets in 2008. Barton only recorded 36 tackles for the Browns last year. In comes Bart Scott; 92 Tackles - 1 sack.

Chris Baker; Nice knowing ya. Only put up 14 catches, 142 yards, 2 TD's with the Patriots last year. Remember last offseason? NE fans were oh so excited about Baker playing with Brady. Think again.

Come next offseason.... I have a strong feeling Jet fans will see the reasons why the Jets let go of Faneca, Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. I expect all 3 of those players to have down years. Especially Thomas Jones.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 07-16-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3648271]He did two years ago.[/QUOTE]

We got our money's worth though. D'Brick and Mangold both took their games up a couple notches from having a savvy vet next to them. Hopefully the cycle will repeat itself with Ducasse becoming a solid pro with their tutelage.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3648258]faneca was a 'declining player' when the jets signed him 2 years ago. He did a pretty good job for the jets. anytime you can get alan faneca as a stop-gap, why not?[/QUOTE]

Yep, and [B]at the time[/B], he was a better option than what we had on the line and his veteran experience was more important for Mangold and Brick. Now he is no longer the better option, obviously. They can now mold Vlad into the Impaler that he will surely become.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3648260]I've rewatched a lot of the jets games on NFL Replay on NFLN and have to give Faneca credit for consistently very good run blocking but with a young franchise QB your priority needs to be protecting him and Faneca gave up an absurd amount of sacks and super clean hits on Sanchez for the guard position. Guards should never give up the amount of sacks he did last season.[/QUOTE]

+1 Very good assesment of Faneca's play last season.

He is still a very good run blocker in my opinion, but as others have already said he let our young, franchise QB get hit too often to be justified for the amount of $$$ he was getting paid.

I like Slauson's chances of stepping in and playing solid football for us, improving our pass blocking while hopefully not having too much of a drop off for the running game. With guys like Brick, Mangold, Woody, Moore to help you out and a great line coach in Callahan I think he will be fine.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3648282]We got our money's worth though. D'Brick and Mangold both took their games up a couple notches from having a savvy vet next to them. Hopefully the cycle will repeat itself with Ducasse becoming a solid pro with their tutelage.[/QUOTE]

Could not agree with you more. I think Faneca's worth in this regard can not be overstated. Perhaps Tanny looked at where Gold-Brick were in their development and figured that he had recieved as much bank for his buck out of Faneca as he going to get and decided it was time to cut the cord. When you look at how pathetic the Jets O-line was a couple of years before Faneca got here it is amazing to see how good this unit is now. For that I will always be thankful for Faneca's veteran's influence on our two achors on that O-line.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kcb160;3648304]Could not agree with you more. I think Faneca's worth in this regard can not be overstated. Perhaps Tanny looked at where Gold-Brick were in their development and figured that he had recieved as much bank for his buck out of Faneca as he going to get and decided it was time to cut the cord. [B] When you look at how pathetic the Jets O-line was a couple of years before Faneca got here it is amazing to see how good this unit is now. For that I will always be thankful for Faneca's veteran's influence on our two achors on that O-line[/B].[/QUOTE]

+1 Excellent Point.

I dont regret the Jets signing Faneca and I dont regret them releasing him this year either, his veteran leadership he provided to Brick, Mangold and the rest of our line was invaluable, we dont need him anymore now that Brick and Mangold have emerged as Pro Bowlers but will always be grateful and have positive memories of Faneca as a Jet.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3648282]We got our money's worth though. D'Brick and Mangold both took their games up a couple notches from having a savvy vet next to them. Hopefully the cycle will repeat itself with Ducasse becoming a solid pro with their tutelage.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree - but we certainly overpaid. I'm in the camp that we should have overpaid again in 2010 for his services - but if we retained him, he certainly would be overpaid for his abilities at this point in his career.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648273]
    Come next offseason.... I have a strong feeling Jet fans will see the reasons why the Jets let go of ...[B]Leon Washingto[/B]n....[/QUOTE]

Yes absolutely brilliant move on Jets part to notice a fractured leg.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3648314]Yes absolutely brilliant move on Jets part to notice a fractured leg.[/QUOTE]

Just like the Seahawks; The Jets could have taken a chance on Leon Washington, instead... We drafted an explosive talent out of USC by the name of Joe McKnight.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648317]Just like the Seahawks; The Jets could have taken a chance on Leon Washington, instead... We drafted an explosive talent out of USC by the name of Joe McKnight.[/QUOTE]

I heard. The bust is almost ready in Canton.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3648320]I heard. The bust is almost ready in Canton.[/QUOTE]

Hey, agreeing with DWC is not something I do lightly - but here I do agree with him and think he makes a good point.

Trading Leon was in some sense cold-hearted - maybe he'd heal and be back to his former self, or almost. But instead of waiting around to find out, which is probably what Tanny's heart told him (assuming he has one) - he cut bait and moved on. Maybe McKnight will work out, maybe he won't, but I think it was the right move.

In general, I think recently the Jets *have* done a very good job of getting rid of people when they were declining, instead of waiting until they were totally done...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3648314]Yes absolutely brilliant move on Jets part to notice a fractured leg.[/QUOTE]

The Jets were all set to send him back into the game in Oakland until they saw part of the femur sticking out. The Medical Staff quickly congregated and determined that that was not normal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3648320]I heard. The bust is almost ready in Canton.[/QUOTE]

actually the BUST is still hanging around as the number one running back in Foxboro... Dancin' behind the line Maroney