Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees covet Dunn and Soria

Yankees covet Dunn and Soria

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 16 at 3:11pm CST]

The Yankees would love to have Adam Dunn and Joakim Soria, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). But the Yankees' interest in the two stars doesn't mean those players will be in pinstripes any time soon. After all, many teams would love to have them both and the Nationals and Royals would demand a lot in any deal.

In fact Rosenthal reports that the Nationals have an "exorbitant" asking price for Dunn. The 30-year-old, who becomes a free agent after the season, is one of the more appealing first baseman available, along with Prince Fielder. As usual, Dunn is on pace for a 40-homer season (he leads the NL with 22). He makes $12MM this season and profiles as a Type A free agent, so the Nationals could obtain picks for Dunn if they don't trade him.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney reported earlier in the week that Dunn may be losing interest in an extension with the Nats. At River Ave. Blues, MLBTR's Mike Axisa makes the case that the Yankees should acquire Dunn, even though he's only under contract for 2010.

The Royals would need to be "overwhelmed" to part with Soria, who makes $3MM this season and is under team control through 2014. He has 25 saves already and has posted 11.1 K/9 this season, which makes him one of the more appealing relievers available. The Yankees have had inconsistent performances from righties Joba Chamberlain, Chan Ho Park and David Robertson, which no doubt contributes to their interest in Soria.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...unn-soria.html

A trade for Soria means Mo's retirement at the end of the year.

Why on earth would a guy with his potential be the set up man, even if it was for the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post

Why on earth would a guy with his potential be the set up man, even if it was for the Yankees.
    ..one reason is that he would make more as a set-up here than as a closer there or maybe anywhere...

All Pro

Soria could be the set up man now, but at just 26, he could potentially become the closer when Mo finally does hang them up -- which could happen this year or next.

The kid has some tremendous stuff and his career numbers are stellar, so I assume the asking price would be steep.

And for the record, I'd love to get Dunn, but I think his asking price will also be too high for a guy who will be on the open market in just a few months. For his tremendous OPB and power, he's a perfect 6 hitter for the Yanks -- someone to protect Cano and drive in runs. But does he play any defense on this team? Can he fill in at RF and 1B regularly to give other players days at DH?

He'd have no choice...we trade for him... he does what we tell him to do

With that said... it's not going to happen. Cost will be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    He'd have no choice...we trade for him... he does what we tell him to do

With that said... it's not going to happen. Cost will be huge.

+1, kinda curious why they're interested in dunn tho, unless they're confident jorge can catch 5 days a week.

Banned
    I'd love to see the Yankees lose top prospect on a 30 year old such as Adam Dunn.

I'm not sure the Yankees will ever be the same type of Franchise as they've been in years past after the passing of George Steinbrenner.

No matter the last name, there will never be another George Steinbrenner.

Long stroy short: It's about time the Yankees start to focus on young talent.

I would love of we got Soria, that would give us the best 1-2 to close out a game in baseball. He would be very important as Mo is near retirement, does he rather close for a losing team like the Royals or be a SU man for a few years with the Yankees? I think most would rather pitch for the Yankees.

I doubt we make a trade for him, but if we did that would be awesome with how bad our pen is. Hes got years left on his contract though.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    I'd love to see the Yankees lose top prospect on a 30 year old such as Adam Dunn.

I'm not sure the Yankees will ever be the same type of Franchise as they've been in years past after the passing of George Steinbrenner.

No matter the last name, there will never be another George Steinbrenner.

Long stroy short: It's about time the Yankees start to focus on young talent.
    Again, 30 is not old, he's a player early in his prime. The Yankees will continue to be run by the Steinbrenner family.

You're wishing, praying, and flailing.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The Yankees will continue to be run by the Steinbrenner family.
    The Steinbrenner family? Yes.

The one and only George Steinbrenner? Never again. There will never be another George Steinbrenner.

No one in Steinbrenner's family will EVER be as respected as the late George was; Never.

All League
    The Steinbrenner family? Yes.

The one and only George Steinbrenner? Never again. There will never be another George Steinbrenner.

No one in Steinbrenner's family will EVER be as respected as the late George was; Never.
    George did not run the team last year. And what happened?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    George did not run the team last year. And what happened?
    He ran the team more than you think he ran the team. Great baseball advice, ideas and baseball input from George will be gone forever. NOW... The Steinbrenner family is in full control of the Yankees; lets see what happens.

All League
    He ran the team more than you think he ran the team. Great baseball advice, ideas and baseball input from George will be gone forever. NOW... The Steinbrenner family is in full control of the Yankees; lets see what happens.
    George has been in poor health for years. Are you speaking out of you rear? He couldn't even make it for the trophy presentation. Hal has been running the show

lol George hasn't been running the team for a few years now, hes been sick. George putting in his great baseball advice and input is what hurt the Yankees in years, when they sold the farm and got aging past their prime players.
    George was at his best when he didn't get too involved with the baseball decisions, let the baseball people do their jobs, that is why the Yankees won 4 titles in the late 90s. Gene Michaels was allowed to do his job and built a great team.

George wanted to trade off Bernie Williams because he slumped, but luckily Michaels faked calling teams and said that they all didn't want him. He kept trying to trade Andy Pettitte, he almost traded Mariano.

Finally the Yankees have somewhat of a farm system again since Cashman was allowed to build it back up.

Hal not being as involved with baseball decisions could be for the better, let the people that know the sport do their jobs. Last year the Yankees won the WS not only because of the big 3 signings, but because they had a good farm system that produced some quality players.

You are insufferable...

Banned
    Unless the Yankees are willing to give up a package of Joba and Montero + pay the king's ransom to Soria just to be an 8th inning guy for a few years until Rivera finally is done forget about it. Soria is one of the best closers in baseball - why would he want to pitch the 8th inning? Rivera is still excellent and has at least 2-3 more years left in his arm.

trading for dunn would be a huge mistake. i live in dc and watch him often. he strikes out a ton and doesnt hit lefties well. also his defense is lackluster. let him sit out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    You are insufferable...
    .......AND he needs to re-adorn the Yankee siggy the way it was intended, not with the disclaimer and reduced size

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Soria is one of the best closers in baseball - why would he want to pitch the 8th inning?
    What are you talking about? He doesn't have a no trade clause. If the Yankees trade for Soria he'll have no say. He'll play where the Yankees ask him to play end of story.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    What are you talking about? He doesn't have a no trade clause. If the Yankees trade for Soria he'll have no say. He'll play where the Yankees ask him to play end of story.
    Soria is one of the top closers in the game and was actually potentially being groomed in KC to one day become a stud starting pitcher and he's going to go from that to be just another 8th inning guy with the Yankees? He's signed thru next season and has options after that. I don't know if those are team or player options but regardless even if those are team options Soria is going to demand a trade to a team that will either let him close or even start because he's way more valuable in one of those roles.