Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else hope Tom Brady gets a massive deal?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else hope Tom Brady gets a massive deal?

Tom Brady has always been a company man. He took less than fair market value his last go round and it sounds like he's being a little less pliable this time though he has stated he doesn't need to break any records like Peyton Manning will.

Frankly I think Tom Brady is declining is less committed than he used to be and I think he has always been a tad overrated. And I think the Patriots agree on all three points plus they've never liked to give out mega-contracts, believing their success in system-based more than player-based.

I'm hoping they cave to public sentiment and give Tom the longterm 20 mill per year being thrown around as this will tie up a lot of assets for our 2nd biggest rival (behind the Phins). The Pats are mulling the franchise tag for a guy that has delivered 4 Super Bowl births. I think this would be a public relations disaster.

I think locking up the declining superstar for the longterm would cement the Pats decline...but at the same time I get scared with a slim lead when this guy has the ball in hands with 2 minutes to go.

Thoughts?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't blame for him wanting to get paid. He deserves it!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate the Patriots and cant stand Tom Brady, but I cant agree with this thread.

A) Tom Brady has never been overrated. He's a future HOF QB for a reason; He's one of the greatest QB's that ever lived to play the game of Football.

The man has done nothing but win. Joe Montana had a career QB rating of 92.3; Tom Brady has a career QB rating of 93.3: Thats how great Tom Brady has been.

It would have been crazy to see Tom Brady with Offensive Weapons such as such as Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark because truth be told, before Randy Moss and Wes Welker; Tom Brady was winning SB after SB with above average WR's at best.

Last offseason I doubted Tom Brady in a major way; He proved me wrong. After having knee surgery, at the age of 32, I really thought Tom Brady would take a step back. He proved me wrong. He had a great season. Ended up with a QB Rating of 96.2. As far as statistics go, last year was his 2nd best season ever. I'm not sure how anyone can say Tom Brady is on the decline as of right now. Brady passed for 4,398 yards (2007 was the only season that he threw for more yard), 65.7 completion % (2007 was the only season where he had a higher completion %), 28 TD's (2007 was the only season where Brady threw more than 28 TD's).

No way is Tom Brady on the decline. He's 32 years of age, he's getting older but look @ Favre... Another all time great; The man is still lighting up score boards. Favre is the perfect example on why I want Tom Brady out of the AFC East. I would love for Tom Brady and the Patriots to go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth until Brady gets pissed off with the Franchise and becomes a FA when he's able to become a FA. There is no way in hell that I want Brady in NE for another 7-8 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3648774]

Frankly I think Tom Brady is declining is less committed than he used to be and I think he has always been a tad overrated. And I think the Patriots agree on all three points plus they've never liked to give out mega-contracts, believing their success in system-based more than player-based.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Here is some facts to go against your "wisdom"

1. Tom Brady tied his record for most TD's in a season last year
    2. He has been at every mandatory camp
    3. Welker has been in Cali with him during passing sessions
    4. When you start a family, your priorities change..
    5. and if a 3 time SB winner and 1 drive from going undefeated is over rated, then you really are dillusional

One thing I agree.. I hope they Pay the man his due.. He is well worth it..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mcsully;3648785]Here is some facts to go against your "wisdom"

1. Tom Brady tied his record for most TD's in a season last year
    [/QUOTE]

No he didn't.

Tom Brady threw 28 TD's last season. His record is 50.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm worried about how the jets will be able to keep revis, mangold and harris. sure it would be nice to see the patsies get trapped in salary cap hell for the next 10 years but we all know krafty would find a way to cheat himself out of it so it won't happen. and the patsies know he's on the decline. they're not going to use him if he doesn't help them win.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3648774]Tom Brady has always been a company man. He took less than fair market value his last go round and it sounds like he's being a little less pliable this time though he has stated he doesn't need to break any records like Peyton Manning will.

I'm hoping they cave to public sentiment and give Tom the longterm 20 mill per year being thrown around as this will tie up a lot of assets for our 2nd biggest rival (behind the Phins). The Pats are mulling the franchise tag for a guy that has delivered 4 Super Bowl births. I think this would be a public relations disaster.

I think locking up the declining superstar for the longterm would cement the Pats decline...but at the same time I get scared with a slim lead when this guy has the ball in hands with 2 minutes to go.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

As much as it pains me to say, dude is sick, no ifs ands or buts about it. When he had no one to throw to, he still got it done and won SBs (regardless of one's feelings on the whole videotaping thing). For no other reason, I want to see the Pats drop a chunk of money on him so that they are limited in other aspects of adding to their roster. That being said, I don't think it happens. Brady or not, I don't see Belichick getting caught up in all of the PR crap. He's let go of a handful of popular players over the years and has been the villian in some cases because of it (Lawyer Milloy). He will not hesitate to cut him loose if he feels his skills are declining or he's not worth what he's asking.

Also, the Pats clearly are our biggest rival, perhaps not all-time but definitely since their SB run. They are the team to beat, not Miami. If we're gonna win the whole thing this year, it will have to be through NE not Miami. I want Brady in NE and at full strength so we don't have to endure all of the "you guys couldn't beat the Pats when he was in his prime" comments. Sh*t, we only beat Cassel and the Pats once for Christ sakes. As it is, we still have to try and beat Brady and sweep the Pats with his skills on somewhat of a decline.
    Last edited by RageATL; 07-17-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i really don't see the pats resigning him

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... despite our desires as jets fans of his declining skills ...

... we are much better off without him in new england ...

(this is a qb driven league - they are a smart organization - brady will get paid a very nice chunk of change ... just below peyton manning level ... this will turn out to be a non-story)

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648784]I hate the Patriots and cant stand Tom Brady, but I cant agree with this thread.

A) Tom Brady has never been overrated. He's a future HOF QB for a reason; He's one of the greatest QB's that ever lived to play the game of Football.

The man has done nothing but win. Joe Montana had a career QB rating of 92.3; Tom Brady has a career QB rating of 93.3: Thats how great Tom Brady has been.

It would have been crazy to see Tom Brady with Offensive Weapons such as such as Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark because truth be told, before Randy Moss and Wes Welker; Tom Brady was winning SB after SB with above average WR's at best.

Last offseason I doubted Tom Brady in a major way; He proved me wrong. After having knee surgery, at the age of 32, I really thought Tom Brady would take a step back. He proved me wrong. He had a great season. Ended up with a QB Rating of 96.2. As far as statistics go, last year was his 2nd best season ever. I'm not sure how anyone can say Tom Brady is on the decline as of right now. Brady passed for 4,398 yards (2007 was the only season that he threw for more yard), 65.7 completion % (2007 was the only season where he had a higher completion %), 28 TD's (2007 was the only season where Brady threw more than 28 TD's).

No way is Tom Brady on the decline. He's 32 years of age, he's getting older but look @ Favre... Another all time great; The man is still lighting up score boards. Favre is the perfect example on why I want Tom Brady out of the AFC East. I would love for Tom Brady and the Patriots to go back and forth, back and forth, back and forth until Brady gets pissed off with the Franchise and becomes a FA when he's able to become a FA. There is no way in hell that I want Brady in NE for another 7-8 years.[/QUOTE]

+1 hard to knock Brady

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Tom Brady has always been a company man. He took less than fair market value his last go round and it sounds like he's being a little less pliable this time though he has stated he doesn't need to break any records like Peyton Manning will.[/QUOTE]

You are only one for two in your opening remarks

1. If you mean by "company man" has he been a team player. Yes he's been a great team player.

2. Your second comment is just false. While he has made less than Manning, it hasn't been a whole lot less. Brady had 2 years left on his last contract when he signed his current deal, so of course it was a bit less than it would have been if he'd been a true FA. The fact that Brady is viewed as being underpaid, is a just not the case.

[QUOTE]Frankly I think Tom Brady is declining is less committed than he used to be and I think he has always been a tad overrated. [/QUOTE]

So very wrong on so many counts, but I don't have to go into it since your own fans have slapped you down on these points. Just one comment. Brady, coming off missing a year, was NOT at his best last season DESPITE his great stats. That's not to be unexpected given missing the season and his injury.

Jet fans should be very scared that a guy with 28 TDs, only 12 pick, and a 93.6 QB rating is due to have a "bounce back year" ;)
    [QUOTE] they've never liked to give out mega-contracts, believing their success in system-based more than player-based.
    [/QUOTE]

I agree by and large, but they also have on occasion paid top dollar. IIRC Adam Venatieri, and Vince Wilfolk were players the Pats made top paid at their respective positions. But is is rare....and BTW- smart

[QUOTE]I'm hoping they cave to public sentiment and give Tom the longterm 20 mill per year being thrown around as this will tie up a lot of assets for our 2nd biggest rival (behind the Phins). [/QUOTE]

Most likely neither Manning or Brady will get $20MM I'm thinking it will be more like $16-18MM) with more than 50% guaranteed. Still its a hunk of change, but TRUE franchise QBs are worth 10-12% of the cap, and that will fall into that range
    [QUOTE]The Pats are mulling the franchise tag for a guy that has delivered 4 Super Bowl births. I think this would be a public relations disaster.
    [/QUOTE]
    If you actually knew what the Pats were truly "mulling", then you could write your own ticket at any media outlet in the country. ;)

But I for one have never understood how offering a player guaranteed money at the 3rd highest salary in the league at his position is such a damned insult. We should all be so "insulted".

[QUOTE]I think locking up the declining superstar for the longterm would cement the Pats decline.[/QUOTE].

The Pats might be in transition, but as long as Brady is the QB, the Jets will be, most likely, chasing the Pats, not running from them.
    Last edited by patsfanken; 07-17-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3648814]
    Most likely neither Manning or Brady will get $20MM I'm thinking it will be more like [B]$16-18MM[/B]) with more than 50% guaranteed. Still its a hunk of change, but TRUE franchise QBs are worth 10-12% of the cap, and that will fall into that range

If you actually knew what the Pats were truly "mulling", then you could write your own ticket at any media outlet in the country. ;)

But I for one have never understood how offering a player guaranteed money at the 3rd highest salary in the league at his position is such a damned insult. We should all be so "insulted".
    .[/QUOTE]

No way Brady or Manning deserve Revis money I checked with Bit and he agree's..:P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No need for name calling fellas. Just stating an opinion. I DO think his skills are declining. I think he used to carry his team no matter who was on the roster. This season the Pats a have ton of young unproven players. I don't think Tom Terrific is up to the task of carrying them anymore. He needs help and he doesn't have it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3648814]

The Pats might be in transition, but as long as Brady is the QB, the Jets will be, most likely, chasing the Pats, not running from them.[/QUOTE]

You know except for his bonus added years Brady hasn't been a really top paid QB.. [url]http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?player=225[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Brady is the on of the greatest QBs I have seen played. Why shall we wish he will play for pasterisks for years to come?
    Yes, he benefited greatly from blantant cheating - knowing an exact defensive scheme made his life a bit easier - but one thing to know, another to execute, and accuracy of some of his passes were mind bogling.
    I would rather love him to retire in CA to bang his boyfriends and raise Gizele children.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DefenseWinsChampionships2;3648789]No he didn't.

Tom Brady threw 28 TD's last season. His record is 50.[/QUOTE]

my bad.. 2nd most.. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Jet fans should be very scared that a guy with 28 TDs, only 12 pick, and a 93.6 QB rating is due to have a "bounce back year" [/QUOTE]

Pats are going to miss Welker BIG-TIME. He'll start the season on the PUP and be back after week 6, but it'll probably take another full year before he regains his extraordinary quickness and ability to make those cuts. If he ever does. The guy's averaged roughly 115 catches and 1200 yards a season for the Pats, those are crazy numbers. Neither Holt, Tate, nor Edelman can replace what he does. Makes life for Randy Moss and Brady a lot easier. Their offense will be much different without him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3648877]Pats are going to miss Welker BIG-TIME. He'll start the season on the PUP and be back after week 6, but it'll probably take another full year before he regains his extraordinary quickness and ability to make those cuts. If he ever does. [b]The guy's averaged roughly 115 catches and 1200 yards a season for the Pats, those are crazy numbers.[/b] Neither Holt, Tate, nor Edelman can replace what he does. Makes life for Randy Moss and Brady a lot easier. Their offense will be much different without him.[/QUOTE]

and Klecko said we overpaid for him... ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see Tom Brady qb the niners in the near future.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phuck Brady.