Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Football - I think I'm done

All Pro

Fantasy Football - I think I'm done

For the past 8 years or so, I'd juggle at least 2-3 teams each season, most of them free with the occasional pay league thrown in for fun. Now, I find myself really wanting to focus on the Jets, what with my recent foray into DVR-dom (for a more in depth look at our team) and Hard Knocks on the way. At this stage of my life, I'm also trying to simplify things. In the past, I often found myself agonizing over waiver wire pick ups and starting rosters etc. out of the love of anything football related and the competition. Now, I think I just wanna hunker down, watch a ton of Jet football and really get into this season unlike ever before. I don't wanna think about setting my line ups or any other reminders like that. I wanna tune in and be completely enveloped by our team with zero self-created distractions. Yet part of me will miss the trash-talking, the camaraderie etc. that goes into a buncha buddies starting a league. Part of me is concerned that I'm losing my love of football and this is the first step...is there something wrong with me??? :huh: :(

Jets Insider VIP
    sounds exactly like my situation.... played for the last 7-8 years but this year, I think, the Jets will be my fantasy all-star time and I'll just enjoy watching them

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Rage ATL;3649064]For the past 8 years or so, I'd juggle at least 2-3 teams each season, most of them free with the occasional pay league thrown in for fun. Now, I find myself really wanting to focus on the Jets, what with my recent foray into DVR-dom (for a more in depth look at our team) and Hard Knocks on the way. At this stage of my life, I'm also trying to simplify things. In the past, I often found myself agonizing over waiver wire pick ups and starting rosters etc. out of the love of anything football related and the competition. Now, I think I just wanna hunker down, watch a ton of Jet football and really get into this season unlike ever before. I don't wanna think about setting my line ups or any other reminders like that. I wanna tune in and be completely enveloped by our team with zero self-created distractions. Yet part of me will miss the trash-talking, the camaraderie etc. that goes into a buncha buddies starting a league. Part of me is concerned that I'm losing my love of football and this is the first step...is there something wrong with me??? :huh: :([/QUOTE]

The Jets are reality of course fantasy has lost it's appeal..:yes:

I love fantasy football (And baseball too).

Part of it is having a league set up among friends and the trash talk, part of it is you have to pay attention to whats happening around the league in order to succeed at such a game, so really, you become more knowledgeful about the league as a whole, and part of it is that it gives a viewer interest in games that they might not otherwise care about. My viewership of the primetime games has definately increased since I started playing fantasy, and much of that is that I want to see my star players perform.

Plus, having a small amount of money on the line never hurt anybody too ;)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3649072]I love fantasy football (And baseball too).

Part of it is having a league set up among friends and the trash talk, part of it is you have to pay attention to whats happening around the league in order to succeed at such a game, so really, you become more knowledgeful about the league as a whole, and part of it is that it gives a viewer interest in games that they might not otherwise care about. My viewership of the primetime games has definately increased since I started playing fantasy, and much of that is that I want to see my star players perform.

Plus, having a small amount of money on the line never hurt anybody too ;)[/QUOTE]

While I didn't touch on that in my OP, you're 100% correct...all of what you said about the league as a whole, interest in other games etc. is totally true, hence another facet of my issue. I want to either remain at my current level or increase my football knowledge and without FF, I'll have to watch games I could usually give a sh*t about even more intently. :(

Hall Of Fame
    welcome to 2004 :cool: we have the internet now..

[QUOTE=RageATL;3649064]For the past 8 years or so, I'd juggle at least 2-3 teams each season, most of them free with the occasional pay league thrown in for fun. Now, I find myself really wanting to focus on the Jets, what with my recent foray into DVR-dom (for a more in depth look at our team) and Hard Knocks on the way. At this stage of my life, I'm also trying to simplify things. In the past, I often found myself agonizing over waiver wire pick ups and starting rosters etc. out of the love of anything football related and the competition. Now, I think I just wanna hunker down, watch a ton of Jet football and really get into this season unlike ever before. I don't wanna think about setting my line ups or any other reminders like that. I wanna tune in and be completely enveloped by our team with zero self-created distractions. Yet part of me will miss the trash-talking, the camaraderie etc. that goes into a buncha buddies starting a league. Part of me is concerned that I'm losing my love of football and this is the first step...is there something wrong with me??? :huh: :([/QUOTE]

Cut back to just one fantasy team.

I used to be in two or three leagues. Now, just one with long-time friends. Easy to manage. Competitive, but not overly time consuming. Leaves plenty of time to focus on the Jets season.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3649108]Cut back to just one fantasy team.

I used to be in two or three leagues. Now, just one with long-time friends. Easy to manage. Competitive, but not overly time consuming. Leaves plenty of time to focus on the Jets season.[/QUOTE]

Was thinking about this as well, just one team to focus on and still be able to enjoy the Jets.

Practice Squad
    yeah and it also sucks when your conflicted with your fantasy players going against your team .. obv. you go with your team but it drives you nuts if you have money on the line or if your a fantasy freak. feels nice to just focus on your team without worrying about other people .. with all that being said, i love it too much to not play. :yes:

[QUOTE=RageATL;3649139]Was thinking about this as well, just one team to focus on and still be able to enjoy the Jets.[/QUOTE]

This. At most, I do two leagues a year now - and that's only if, in addition to my pure bragging rights league, I can arrange a high-stakes league at work

[QUOTE=doggin94it;3649198]This. At most, I do two leagues a year now - and that's only if, in addition to my pure bragging rights league, I can arrange a high-stakes league at work[/QUOTE]

doing more than 2 leagues isn't a smart idea, how can you really pay attention to 3-4 leagues? plus the fact that the same people that are starting this week you are most likely playing against in a separate league, so who do you even root for?

Jets Insider VIP
    Heres my rules. Never draft a pat or a dolphin. Neve start someone who is playing against the jets.

I hear ya. I've been in one league for about 12 or so years, and I'm just kinda over it and ready to focus on a potentially great season for our Jets. The thing that sucks is I do all the organizing for the league, so if I jump, I think it's over.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3649215]Heres my rules. Never draft a pat or a dolphin. Neve start someone who is playing against the jets.[/QUOTE]

As much it pains me to say, all that goes out the window...you can't have any loyalties in FF if you're playing to win. So if it's a Pat or Phin, I bite my lip and start 'em. ;)

[QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3649222]I hear ya. I've been in one league for about 12 or so years, and I'm just kinda over it and ready to focus on a potentially great season for our Jets. The thing that sucks is I do all the organizing for the league, so if I jump, I think it's over.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's me. If I don't start getting it together, no one will play but at the same time I'm kinda over guys saying they wanna play and then they don't set their lineups all season. I even had one guy ask in April when the FF draft was. "Uh, dumb ass, that's the [B]NFL Draft[B].[/B][/B] :P

[QUOTE=Mr.GangGreen28;3649162]yeah and it also sucks when your conflicted with your fantasy players going against your team .. obv. you go with your team but it drives you nuts if you have money on the line or if your a fantasy freak. feels nice to just focus on your team without worrying about other people .. with all that being said, i love it too much to not play. :yes:[/QUOTE]

+1:yes::yes:

From last season:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/mCkD2.jpg[/url]

:)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3649435]From last season:

[url]http://i.imgur.com/mCkD2.jpg[/url]

:)[/QUOTE]

and needless to say, your season tanked after about week 4. and what happened with braylon? did you trade for him? did you have to give up jets to get him?

[QUOTE=RageATL;3649289]As much it pains me to say, all that goes out the window...you can't have any loyalties in FF if you're playing to win. So if it's a Pat or Phin, I bite my lip and start 'em. ;)

Yep, that's me. If I don't start getting it together, no one will play but at the same time I'm kinda over guys saying they wanna play and then they don't set their lineups all season. I even had one guy ask in April when the FF draft was. "Uh, dumb ass, that's the [B]NFL Draft[B].[/B][/B] :P[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Parallel Universes! I'm just a wee bit verklempt about letting it die, but I guess everything comes to an end, doesn't it? I don't know, I got a couple of weeks before we get to panic time.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FloridaJetsFan;3649483]Sounds like Parallel Universes! I'm just a wee bit verklempt about letting it die, but I guess everything comes to an end, doesn't it? I don't know, I got a couple of weeks before we get to panic time.[/QUOTE]

Heh, def does. I actually went out and created 2 leagues today just in case. I don't wanna get closer to the season, change my mind and then not be able to get a draft slot. So, right now it's tentative. I still might opt for none or maybe just 1 team max and if it's just the 1, perhaps weed out the guys who don't take it seriously and set their rosters on a consistent basis with a little side bet.

[QUOTE=Gholstons Revenge;3649212]doing more than 2 leagues isn't a smart idea, how can you really pay attention to 3-4 leagues? plus the fact that the same people that are starting this week you are most likely playing against in a separate league, so who do you even root for?[/QUOTE]

True to an extent. Was in 3 leagues last year and it gets tough to root during the games since you have guys against you in one league but playing for you in another. One two and made playoffs in third. I try not to pick same guys in 2 leagues, especially top 3-4 picks due to injury killing 2 teams.