Thread: Tottenham to NY Yankees?

Tottenham to NY Yankees?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/en...itch-tottenham

Report: Baseball Giants New York Yankees Pitch Tottenham Hotspur A Curve Ball With £450 Million Bid
    The owners of baseball giants, the New York Yankees, are aiming to become the latest foreign investors into the Premier League after announcing a staggering £450 million offer for Tottenham Hotspur.

According to the Daily Star, the interest comes after Yankees' owner George Steinbrenner died at 80-years-old last week and control of the famous outfit passed down to his sons Hal and Hank.

Hank, a former college soccer player, expressed an interest in buying the club back in the early 1990s. Now it's believed he's rekindled his interest, following the lead of fellow American Stan Kroenke, who has snapped up 29.9 per cent of the shares at north London rivals Arsenal.

Coincidentally, Spurs are in New York ahead of their friendly with the New York Red Bulls this week.

The Steinbrenners have no intention of expanding their sports business empire by buying into any of the other major American markets, such as the NBA, NFL or NHL.

It is Spurs' rise to stardom over recent seasons though, culminating in their qualification for the Champions League, that has caught the eye of the Americans.

Asked about buying into another sports franchise recently, Hank told reporters: “The only thing would be a major soccer team in Europe, preferably in the Premier League. That’s always a possibility for me.”

A US takeover would prove to be somewhat of a lottery for Spurs, as American owners currently have a mixed reputation in the Premier League.

Randy Lerner, who owns the NFL's Cleveland Browns, is warmly regarded by Aston Villa fans, while Ellis Short is also liked at Sunderland.

Conversely the Glazer family, who run American Football's Tampa Bay Bucaneers, and Liverpool co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks, are all hugely unpopular at their respective clubs.

If the Steinbrenners were to invest in the White Hart Lane club, boss Harry Redknapp would be boosted with a significant rise in his transfer kitty ahead of an important season for his side.

The Yankees are widely regarded as the biggest payers in baseball, with an annual wage bill topping £130 million, with star-man Alex Rodriguez being the sport's highest paid player after signing a ten year £178m deal.

In the past though, Redknapp has expressed his opinion on opposing foreign ownership in English based clubs.

“With more foreign owners you get fewer British managers," he told reporters last year.
    “Every club will have a foreign owner eventually and the lifespan of managers will get less and less."

Dunno how you may feel about it as an EPL or Tottenham fan, but if you're going to have American ownership, then this would be my pick. They're not afraid to spend big money in baseball. Curious to see if they would take a similar approach in this case.

Very interesting how the Steinbrenner sons already want to expand their empire right after Dad died. And into the EPL, too.

All Pro
    more reason to dislike Spurs for me

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Very interesting how the Steinbrenner sons already want to expand their empire right after Dad died. And into the EPL, too.
    Seems coincidental.

This has most likely been on the verge of culminating for some time.

Hmm...wondering how many clicked on this thread wondering who 'Tottenham' was and could he pitch?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Hmm...wondering how many clicked on this thread wondering who 'Tottenham' was and could he pitch?
    LOL

It would definitely be interesting to see the Steinbrenners go after Tottenham...I have no doubt in my mind that they would try to keep up with the free spending, new middle eastern tycoons that own some teams in the EPL...hopefully they would be successful American owners overseas, unlike the Glazers. (Man U's debt----> 700 m)

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I would like to see better soccer here.

Tottenham is no David Price, i'll tell you that much.

me

i dont have a whole lot of facts or figures to back this up, but that price seems high.