Thread: Pettitte (groin) out 4-5 weeks

Pettitte (groin) out 4-5 weeks

Andy Pettitte (groin) will be placed on the disabled list and could be out 4-5 weeks, according to general manager Brian Cashman.
    Sergio Mitre will replace him in the rotation, starting on Saturday against Kansas City. Pettitte left Sunday's start in the third inning with a Grade 1 strain of his left groin. Pettitte strained his left groin back in 2001 and missed 15 days. He said he could not yet compare this injury to that injury. Mitre deserves a look as a spot starter on Saturday, while Pettitte obviously needs to be benched from activate fantasy rosters until healthy. Jul. 18 - 8:14 pm et
    Source: The Journal News

looks like Lee would of come in handy

Now it hurts that the Mariners screwed us over with Cliff Lee, we could use him.

All Pro
    Last edited by Cool Papa B.; 07-18-2010 at 09:03 PM.

All Pro
    Cashman might have to add a starting pitcher to the list of needs and trades to make by Jult 31. Burnett and Vazquez better step up.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Yanks are not getting a starter. Lee was an offer too-good to pass up so that's why Cash pursued it.

The Yanks won a 103 games last year with Chad Gaudin and Sergio Mitre as starters. They can stay atop the division with Pettite out a month.

I actually like what i've seen out of Mitre so far.BUT...Burnett has to step up.Javy has been much better as of late

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Why must we go with some JAG retread like Mitre or Gaudin, I thought we had some good SP's in the minors?

What about Ivan Nova, why can't we give him some starts instead?
    Mitre was having a outstanding spring and looked very good when he started this season for Pettitte. For now I would go with him, not sold on Ivan Nova as he seemed pretty mediocre in the minors.

why not send joba down to the minors, have him make two starts down there and bring him up as a starter. we could then trade for a setup guy. joba wasnt getting it done as the 8th inning guy anyway.

we should have been looking to trade for an 8th inning guy anyway

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    why not send joba down to the minors, have him make two starts down there and bring him up as a starter. we could then trade for a setup guy. joba wasnt getting it done as the 8th inning guy anyway.
    Because Andy is only going to be out a month.....he's already been f*cked with too much already. All he needs is to go from the pen to the rotation back to the pen.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Roy Oswalt, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Why must we go with some JAG retread like Mitre or Gaudin, I thought we had some good SP's in the minors?

What about Ivan Nova, why can't we give him some starts instead?
    exactly, why settle for these bums? we have to score 7 runs to win when these guys are starting. I say give them a shot, if they have ONE bad start, give the kid Nova a shot. It doesn't make too much sense to trade for a SP unless the injury is more serious than believed.

So much for grade 1 sprain.

if we make any trade it should be for bullpen hlep

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    if we make any trade it should be for bullpen hlep
    I don't mind our bullpen.

It's not overly impressive but they single handedly won a game for the Yankees yesterday.

It's middle of the pack with an elite closer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Roy Oswalt, anyone?
    Eh I don't think Oswalt would be that good in the AL especially in the AL's toughest division.

Oswalt is not happening. hes due too much money next year and it is either lee or oswalt. the yanks have already chosen lee

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Roy Oswalt, anyone?
    A trade for Oswalt would mean no Cliff Lee next year.

Yankees would be on the hook for $16 million next season with Oswalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    I don't mind our bullpen.

It's not overly impressive but they single handedly won a game for the Yankees yesterday.

It's middle of the pack with an elite closer.
    our bullpen is awful other than our elite closer.

Banned
    Bad news for the Yankees. Pettitte was having one hell of a season, but like I've been saying since day one of 2010; It was only a matter of time before Andy broke down as an aging pitcher.

Other than CC and Hughes; The Yankees pretty much have nothing as far as starting pitching goes. Burnett better step his game up, if not... The Yankees are in serious trouble.