Thread: How Much Credit Does Pettine Get For Last Year?

Jets Insider VIP

How Much Credit Does Pettine Get For Last Year?

Haven't seen this discussed.

I see him as the loyal Lt. who is 100% on board with his boss. Otherwise, hard to see which part of last year's success is his.

Thoughts?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3649698]Haven't seen this discussed.

I see him as the loyal Lt. who is 100% on board with his boss. Otherwise, hard to see which part of last year's success is his.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Probably very underrated. But, we (at least I) really don't know. Rex is the face of the team and the defense but you don't have the #1 D in the league without some help.

My guess is that Pettine really did a great job last year but flies under the radar because of the shadow that Rex casts (pun intended :D ).

I know Rex fought pretty hard to get him here as a coach and that Pettine seemed to really want to coach for Rex so I think this could be similar to a Parcells/Belichick with the 80's Giants kinda thing. In any case, I'm glad we have him.

Pettine doesn't get discussed much here. Rex, Schott, Westhoff get most of the coaching threads. Good observation, frenchy! ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3649778]Probably very underrated. But, we (at least I) really don't know. Rex is the face of the team and the defense but you don't have the #1 D in the league without some help.

My guess is that Pettine really did a great job last year but flies under the radar because of the shadow that Rex casts (pun intended :D ).

I know Rex fought pretty hard to get him here as a coach and that Pettine seemed to really want to coach for Rex so I think this could be similar to a Parcells/Belichick with the 80's Giants kinda thing. In any case, I'm glad we have him.

Pettine doesn't get discussed much here. Rex, Schott, Westhoff get most of the coaching threads. Good observation, frenchy! ;)[/QUOTE]
    Phew, a Hampurite to the rescue. It was getting cold in here :tumblewee

Unfortunately for him, to get any form of credit, he'd have to go elsewhere without Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3649782]Phew, a Hampurite to the rescue. It was getting cold in here :tumblewee

Unfortunately for him, to get any form of credit, he'd have to go elsewhere without Rex.[/QUOTE]

Probably true. But the fact that he was the first guy Rex tried to bring onto the coaching staff tells me all I need to know. He could be some kind of secret weapon for all we know. lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Forget the post who is the blond in that last Gfile man!!!! Wooooo she is hot!!!!:eek:

All League
    That's a really good question Raoul. I have been wondering this myself.

Is he a figurehead or is he largely responsible for this defense? That is a secret that is cloaked in mystery, but I suspect the truth is somewhere inbetween.

I know these things for sure:

It is Rex's scheme.

Mike has a bit of a coaching pedigree. He is the son of famous Pennsylvania high school football coach Mike Pettine Sr. who went 326-42-4 record in 33 seasons and won the AAAA state championship four times at Central Bucks High School West. He played QB and DB for his father and later was a safety for the University of Virginia.

Pettine was an [COLOR=black]outstanding coach before he was in the NFL. Pettine coached high school football in Pennsylvania at North Penn and William Tennent high schools after working as a graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh (1993-1994). He also spent four years as an assistant coach for his father, at Central Bucks[/COLOR] West High School.

Stay tuned and watch Hard Knocks (Will you be able to watch it in France?). I suspect we'll get a feel for how much Mike Pettine is in control when we see the show.

All League
    Pettine will probably never get credit for the success of this defense
    because of the reputation of Rex and his success in BAL. But based on what
    Ryan said last year in how they prepare the defensive game plan he is an
    important part. In one interview I read when they prepare the defensive
    game plan Ryan & Pettine watch the opponents offensive tape apart. Then
    after they've made their initial analysis they come together and hash out
    the game plan together. So Rex obviously trusts Pettine's judgment and is
    an important "sounding board"

Rex handpicked Pettine to be his DC, and that says a lot to me, While Rex might be the mastermind behind the show, there's no question that Pettine is his right hand man, and does a lot in the day to day operations of our defense.

Will we be okay when he inevitably moves on for his own HC gig? Probably. Rex seems to have built himself a good stable of coaches and people like Dennis Thurman should be able to step up when the time comes. But I have little doubt that Pettine wouldn't be missed in Florham Park in some way.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Itís clear that Rex is the face of the franchise. Happens to be a guru on defence and consequently the DCord will get little of the spotlight.

I do remember however that Mrs. Rhodes didnít get along with him claiming different issues, but the net result is that despite Rhodeís bright Hollywood star he was put in his place by Pettine and eventually shown the door.
    I think that Pettine has a loud voice and a great deal of respect.

Glad heís with us and not Baltimore.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;3649797]
    Stay tuned and watch Hard Knocks (Will you be able to watch it in France?). I suspect we'll get a feel for how much Mike Pettine is in control when we see the show.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I hope we get some insight on how the show is run.

I was unable to see the previews on HBO's site because of my location, so chances are I'll have to find a torrent somewhere.

[QUOTE=KRL;3649799]Pettine will probably never get credit for the success of this defense
    because of the reputation of Rex and his success in BAL. But based on what
    Ryan said last year in how they prepare the defensive game plan he is an
    important part. In one interview I read when they prepare the defensive
    game plan Ryan & Pettine watch the opponents offensive tape apart. Then
    after they've made their initial analysis they come together and hash out
    the game plan together. So Rex obviously trusts Pettine's judgment and is
    an important "sounding board"[/QUOTE]

Interesting stuff KRL, thanks.

Even though there can be an argument made that Pettine was a figurehead, I think he deserves some credit. Even though he didn't make the in-game play calls, i think Pettine really put his mark on the defense on the practice field (even though there was help from Rex) he deserves at least some credit here...

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;3649791]Forget the post who is the blond in that last Gfile man!!!! Wooooo she is hot!!!!:eek:[/QUOTE]

elisha cuthbert I believe but duke would have to confirm this

All League
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3649803][B]Rex handpicked Pettine to be his DC, and that says a lot to me[/B], While Rex might be the mastermind behind the show, there's no question that Pettine is his right hand man, and does a lot in the day to day operations of our defense.

Will we be okay when he inevitably moves on for his own HC gig? Probably. Rex seems to have built himself a good stable of coaches and people like Dennis Thurman should be able to step up when the time comes. But I have little doubt that Pettine wouldn't be missed in Florham Park in some way.[/QUOTE]

+1 Make no mistake, this is Rex Ryan's Defense, but Pettine was Rex's first choice and that tells me all I need to know.

I wonder if Pettine will get a HC offer in the next couple of years or if GMs around the league attribute the Jets success on the defensive side of the ball solely to Rex. Will be interesting to find out, IMO I believe he should (and will) get an offer in the next two years to become the HC of a franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I couldn't care less who is doing what, just get it done.

Pettine coached under Rex at Baltimore and earned his stripes. So at least from any outside observation, he deserved to be promoted to defensive coordinator. Rex did the right thing and invited to come with him to NY.

Although the defense smacks of Rex having his hands all over it, he can't do everything. Rex has the whole team to oversee. Mike Pettine takes charge of the daily routine with the defense. Rex probably still sits on any gameplanning Mike Pettine is designing and provides his input. In the end, I would essentially say Mike is running the defense and Rex may object from time to time.

A head coach cannot work more than one full time job, that includes DC and GM so Pettine deserves a ton of credit for the Jets success. There's a ton of day to day stuff and Pettine gets it all done. He certainly doesn't hurt them. His work with those power points floating around was impressive.

but who calls the defense? could be wrong but it looks like rex most of the time. JMO Rex calls and his dad essentially designed the defense, Pettine is like a lead apostle and could be very good on his own... but in the end it's Rex's defense. I dont know if pettine can call a defense as well as Rex... on the day of the game... there are about 5 guys who can call the plays at that caliber... not sure if Pettine is in that class. But he could if given the chance get out from that shadow.