Thread: NCAA suspension could lead to big problems for top prospects...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

NCAA suspension could lead to big problems for top prospects...

keep an eye on this: http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...90#post3649590

it is much deeper than just UNC and could effect a major number of potential first round picks...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What am I keeping an eye out for exactly

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi$_I$l@nd View Post
    What am I keeping an eye out for exactly
    http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2010/7/2...marcell-dareus

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/19/15...in-greg-little

http://www.examiner.com/x-30425-Coll...rolinas-Austin

http://www.dailygamecock.com/mobile/...ncaa-1.1499562

i've heard there are two more players involved- both big time SEC underclassmen....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some other people are hearing Maurkice might not be the only UF guy getting in trouble...true?

I'm not too concerned about that particular case though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This agent problem is out of control though. I spend most of my time posting on a college football board now that it's the off-season and a lot of teams are worried...even ones not mentioned yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Some other people are hearing Maurkice might not be the only UF guy getting in trouble...true?

I'm not too concerned about that particular case though.
    none of the remaining names I've heard are from UF....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This agent problem is out of control though. I spend most of my time posting on a college football board now that it's the off-season and a lot of teams are worried...even ones not mentioned yet.
    its' more the financial advisors now.....agents are not allowed to speak or have any contact (though they try through runners) w/third year collegians until December 1st of their third year...but financial advisors can speak with them any time and set things up for agents...

in Austin's case there's an agent involved, but he's a 4th year player....the party in Florida in question was set up by an advisor....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    its' more the financial advisors now.....agents are not allowed to speak or have any contact (though they try through runners) w/third year collegians until December 1st of their third year...but financial advisors can speak with them any time and set things up for agents...

in Austin's case there's an agent involved, but he's a 4th year player....the party in Florida in question was set up by an advisor....
    Advisers, runners, girls sent by agents, whatever. One of the coaches at the SEC Media day called it an epidemic and he's absolutely right.

Can't blame the schools here. They can educate the players on consequences but can't be there every step of the way.

It's easy to say these kids are being dumb, but if I was a poor kid from the hood and some guy was telling me all these great things and putting money in my hand, I couldn't say I wouldn't take it.

Something needs to be done. I guess FL has some kind of laws against this so whoever hooked up Pouncey-assuming it's true- could be in some serious legal sh!t.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Advisers, runners, girls sent by agents, whatever. One of the coaches at the SEC Media day called it an epidemic and he's absolutely right.

Can't blame the schools here. They can educate the players on consequences but can't be there every step of the way.

It's easy to say these kids are being dumb, but if I was a poor kid from the hood and some guy was telling me all these great things and putting money in my hand, I couldn't say I wouldn't take it.

Something needs to be done. I guess FL has some kind of laws against this so whoever hooked up Pouncey-assuming it's true- could be in some serious legal sh!t.
    Pouncey is a joel segal guy.....same agent as reggie bush....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Pouncey is a joel segal guy.....same agent as reggie bush....
    That's encouraging.

He's denied it so far and went as far as to show bank statements indicating he wasn't on the take. Apparently, worst thing that's going to happen is we vacate the Sugar Bowl win.

Whatever.

More worried about the overall effect of these things on college football....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    TMZ mentioned Ingram's name today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...and AJ Green.

Got 'em.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and AJ Green.

Got 'em.
    Green is one of the players I was referring to in post #3...the other player was from Alabama but the info I had when I started this post on Monday was Julio Jones....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a thread at the board I'm talking about that pertains to secrets about athletes that not many people know.

Most are about drug abuse, sex, violence, guys on the take, but this one's related to a draft prospects so I figured I would see if you could verify:

Ryan Mallett would go around Michigan openly telling people how much better he was than Chad Henne. He would introduce himself as the starting QB of the Michigan Wolverines. The team hated him for it, he got into it a bunch with Mike Hart, and Jake Long even went as far as to go to Lloyd Carr and ask him to force his transfer.

I basically combined 3-4 stories from him from that thread, but they all have the same bottom line: Mallett's a major douche.

True? I wonder if it hurts his draft stock when teams realize this in their evals...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a thread at the board I'm talking about that pertains to secrets about athletes that not many people know.

Most are about drug abuse, sex, violence, guys on the take, but this one's related to a draft prospects so I figured I would see if you could verify:

Ryan Mallett would go around Michigan openly telling people how much better he was than Chad Henne. He would introduce himself as the starting QB of the Michigan Wolverines. The team hated him for it, he got into it a bunch with Mike Hart, and Jake Long even went as far as to go to Lloyd Carr and ask him to force his transfer.

I basically combined 3-4 stories from him from that thread, but they all have the same bottom line: Mallett's a major douche.

True? I wonder if it hurts his draft stock when teams realize this in their evals...
    i don't know about the Mallett story but could find out..i will tell you this- a number of people said he was undoubtedly a better NFL prospect then Henne the year he stepped in- heard it a number of tiimes hence i would not be surprised me as someone was probably feeding it to him....