Thread: Dan Haren?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan Haren?

Anyone think maybe the Yankees should try for Haren? He's good to replace Pettitte for now. From what I've read the DBacks are looking for 2 pitchers (minor leaguers) and a reliever (again can be a minor leaguer) in return. That to me isn't asking too much. Just wondering you're thoughts. Oswalt would be good, but his contract is too much to take on.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Pennington View Post
    Anyone think maybe the Yankees should try for Haren? He's good to replace Pettitte for now. From what I've read the DBacks are looking for 2 pitchers (minor leaguers) and a reliever (again can be a minor leaguer) in return. That to me isn't asking too much. Just wondering you're thoughts. Oswalt would be good, but his contract is too much to take on.
    Look at his numbers in August and September the last couple of years, and see if those worry you, if you believe in trends.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's currently 7-8 with a 4.60 ERA and that's facing weak NL West lineups. I'd rather just go with CC, Burnett, Hughes, Vazquez and JAG like Mitre at the 5th spot until Andy comes back in a month.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope Andy will be back in plenty of time for October.

Cash needs to make moves for the bullpen and bench

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Depends on what Zona will accept in return

If they want something like Nova, McAlister and Albeledajo ... fine, I'll do it in a heartbeat

But if they want someone like Montero, Romine, Sanchez, Belatances, Heathcoat (or whatever his name is?), or one of our blue chip prospects ... forget it, NO DEAL, no blue chippers for a guy who's getting lit up in the NL

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    no blue chippers for a guy who's getting lit up in the NL
    You guys need to get over this misconception that the AL is still this offensive juggernaut, in comparison to the NL. It is not true , at least this year.

To date with the DH factored in:

AL: 4.21 ERA, .259 batting average against
    NL: 4.12 ERA, .261 batting average against

In a grand total of 2 more innings played, the NL has scored 3 less runs

It is as close as it can get.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    K/9 - 8.87
    BB/9 - 1.80
    HR/FB% - 13.0%
    BABIP - .351
    xFIP - 3.47

Pretty much all the underlying stats say he's very much still an elite pitcher, he's just had some poor luck this season.

Frankly, if he went to the Yankees, he'd probably be the best starting pitcher on their payroll...and that's saying something.

But at the same time, that's why he's not truly available. Sure, they'll listen, but their asking price is so absurd that they'll never actually make a deal.

Ham, that offer is quite frankly a joke. His price is, and deservedly so, much higher then Lee's price was. Because he's under control for the next 3 years at a below-market rate.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    K/9 - 8.87
    BB/9 - 1.80
    HR/FB% - 13.0%
    BABIP - .351
    xFIP - 3.47

Pretty much all the underlying stats say he's very much still an elite pitcher, he's just had some poor luck this season.

Frankly, if he went to the Yankees, he'd probably be the best starting pitcher on their payroll...and that's saying something.

But at the same time, that's why he's not truly available. Sure, they'll listen, but their asking price is so absurd that they'll never actually make a deal.

Ham, that offer is quite frankly a joke. His price is, and deservedly so, much higher then Lee's price was. Because he's under control for the next 3 years at a below-market rate.
    Frankly, he is not better than Sabathia.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    ehh, Six in one, half dozen in the other. I like Haren to age better, so that's why I give him the edge.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    At the very least, they'd be 1 and 1a. If I were the mets or yanks...whatever DiPoto asks for within reason, I'd do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, I don't mind trading for Haren if the price is reasonable, more than I suggested earlier but nothing crazy, but only if this would not preclude us from signing Cliff Lee in the off-season as well, which we can still do with Pettitte retiring and Vazquez (last year of his contract) coming off the books.

1. CC Sabathia
    2. Cliff Lee
    3. Dan Haren
    4. Phillip Hughes
    5. AJ Burnett

We're stuck with Burnett because no-one is taking that huge contract.
    If Pettitte retires... just saying, but I would take Lee over Haren annnyyyday in that situation. Just as good being:

Sabathia
    Lee
    Pettitte
    Hughes/Burnett

Of course if Andy retires, I like what you have there, it's an awesome rotation.