Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: CP3 Wants Out of New Orleans

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Report: CP3 Wants Out of New Orleans

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...isis-with-paul

According to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com, Chris Paul wants out of New Orleans with the Knicks, Magic, and Lakers as his top 3 potential destinations. According to Berger’s source, “Paul wants to follow LeBron’s model of teaming up with great players.”

Maybe us Knicks fans don't have to wait until 2012 after all............Donnie can't pass this one up if CP3 does indeed want out now rather than later.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    and youre trading them? Felton cant go till December and the Knicks dumped their picks in the TMAC deal. I guess you could go Curry, Gallo and Chandler but that depletes the team again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    and youre trading them? Felton cant go till December and the Knicks dumped their picks in the TMAC deal. I guess you could go Curry, Gallo and Chandler but that depletes the team again.
    Wait, did you really just say that? Chris Paul is the best PG in the game.

Chris Paul + two decent role players you get with MLE >>>> Fat-Ass Curry, Gallo and Chandler.

I don't see the Lakers trading for Paul. Both teams are over the cap so the salaries would have to match. Too complex and not worth the effort for the Lakers plus they'd be shaking up a roster that just won back-2-back titles. Makes no sense for them.

Magic could make an offer but again, both teams are over the cap. Salaries have to match. Rashard Lewis actually makes $4mil more than Paul. Carter actually makes $1 mil more than Paul. Any offer from Orlando would probably have to include Jameer Nelson and a couple of not great players with bad contracts like JJ Redick or Quentin Richardson.

Knicks should offer Curry's expiring contract, Gallo and Chandler. If that doesn't work go this route. Offer the same package for both CP3 and Okafor. Why would New Orleans do that deal? It would save them a ton of money over the next several years and now that they're losing an All-World PG they might as well blow it up and rebuild from scratch anyway. (New Orleans owes Okafor $52 mil over the next 4 years guaranteed) Okafor has a terrible contract but he is a very good low post defender and shot blocker and him, Paul, Amare and Anthony Randolph make the Knicks a title contender.

And as for the "if we do that we can't get Carmelo" argument - it's not a guarantee he comes here anyway. I'd much rather have Paul and Okafor instead of potentially nothing.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 07-22-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Orlando and I'm a magic and jet fan so I hope he goes to the magic

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not really a Knicks fan, but man would I love to have the option of watching him play any given night. He's awesome.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Wait, did you really just say that? Chris Paul is the best PG in the game.

Chris Paul + two decent role players you get with MLE >>>> Fat-Ass Curry, Gallo and Chandler.

I don't see the Lakers trading for Paul. Both teams are over the cap so the salaries would have to match. Too complex and not worth the effort for the Lakers plus they'd be shaking up a roster that just won back-2-back titles. Makes no sense for them.

Magic could make an offer but again, both teams are over the cap. Salaries have to match. Rashard Lewis actually makes $4mil more than Paul. Carter actually makes $1 mil more than Paul. Any offer from Orlando would probably have to include Jameer Nelson and a couple of not great players with bad contracts like JJ Redick or Quentin Richardson.

Knicks should offer Curry's expiring contract, Gallo and Chandler. If that doesn't work go this route. Offer the same package for both CP3 and Okafor. Why would New Orleans do that deal? It would save them a ton of money over the next several years and now that they're losing an All-World PG they might as well blow it up and rebuild from scratch anyway. (New Orleans owes Okafor $52 mil over the next 4 years guaranteed) Okafor has a terrible contract but he is a very good low post defender and shot blocker and him, Paul, Amare and Anthony Randolph make the Knicks a title contender.

And as for the "if we do that we can't get Carmelo" argument - it's not a guarantee he comes here anyway. I'd much rather have Paul and Okafor instead of potentially nothing.
    Okafor would probably be in the deal. Its a great chance for NO to dump a contract. I would give them Gallo and Chandler but it takes two to make a deal. Portland and Dallas are apparently more involved in this than LA according to Broussard.

The one thing they dont need is a PG in return considering how well Collison played last season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Knicks would have to get creative to get Paul, but I don't like the idea of trading Gallo.

No, I'm not a Gallo fanatic. It's just that he has a certain skillset--good outside shooting big man--that would work perfectly with Paul & Amare.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd generation jet fan View Post
    I live in Orlando and I'm a magic and jet fan so I hope he goes to the magic
    It would be real tough for Orlando since they're about $31 million over the cap and I can't see NOR taking bad bad contracts for Paul. In fact, Orlando is projected to be way over the cap for the next 3 seasons.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck to my brother @oneandonlycp3. Do what's best for You and your family

http://twitter.com/KingJames

"Part 2 of The Decision Starring Chris Paul"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The Knicks would have to get creative to get Paul, but I don't like the idea of trading Gallo.

No, I'm not a Gallo fanatic. It's just that he has a certain skillset--good outside shooting big man--that would work perfectly with Paul & Amare.
    You have to give something to get something. Denver and New Orleans are learning from Cleveland, either lock up your superstar or trade him and at least get something in return. The Cavs f*cked themselves good getting almost nothing return for losing Lebron.

Gallo is perfect trade bait. Big, young, athletic, cheap and talented. Will he be as good as Dirk? No but he will be a better more well-rounded version of Peja Stojakovic. Don't be shocked if we end up having to trade both Gallo and Randolph but that's the price you have to pay to get Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    You have to give something to get something. Denver and New Orleans are learning from Cleveland, either lock up your superstar or trade him and at least get something in return. The Cavs f*cked themselves good getting almost nothing return for losing Lebron.

Gallo is perfect trade bait. Big, young, athletic, cheap and talented. Will he be as good as Dirk? No but he will be a better more well-rounded version of Peja Stojakovic. Don't be shocked if we end up having to trade both Gallo and Randolph but that's the price you have to pay to get Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony.
    I understand that and would be willing to part with Gallo for the right price.

On an aside, the Knicks are hamstrung by the 90 day rule and can't trade Felton. So the only trade chips are Curry, Gallo, and Chandler as you noted.

EDIT: they CAN trade the 3 guys they got for Lee.

BUT, capwise, with the Knicks still being under they could technically trade Curry straight up for Paul and the trade would be approved by the league. Now the thing is, of course, NOR won't go for that so you'd have to throw in Gallo or Chandler.

I don't believe the Knicks can throw in both Gallo & Chandler because that would increase NOR's cap and they are already over the cap.
    Last edited by SMC; 07-22-2010 at 03:33 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that and would be willing to part with Gallo for the right price.

On an aside, the Knicks are hamstrung by the 90 day rule and can't trade Felton or the 3 guys for Lee. So the only trade chips are Curry, Gallo, and Chandler as you noted.

BUT, capwise, with the Knicks still being under they could technically trade Curry straight up for Paul and the trade would be approved by the league. Now the thing is, of course, NOR won't go for that so you'd have to throw in Gallo or Chandler.

I don't believe the Knicks can throw in both Gallo & Chandler because that would increase NOR's cap and they are already over the cap.
    whoever gets Paul is taking Okafor too

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As a heat fan(shut up SMC) I'd love for the Knicks to get Paul and potentially Melo.

Wade, Lebron and Bosh Vs. Melo, Paul and Amare would be unreal to watch for the next few years. The Heat/Knicks rilvary would be back in a big way.

I agree with VincenzoTestaverde, if you have to take back Okafor and risk losing out on Melo you still make this trade.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5401230

The New York Knicks are the first team on point guard Chris Paul's wish list of clubs he'd like New Orleans to trade him to, according to sources.
    Orlando, where he could team with superstar center Dwight Howard, is the second team on Paul's list, which includes Dallas and then Portland, according to sources.

In the ideal scenario, Paul and the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony would wind up in New York to play alongside Amare Stoudemire, forming a big three that could compete with Miami's newly formed super trio of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

"Those guys want to beat the three guys in Miami," a source close to the situation said. A report Wednesday on CBSSports.com said Paul saw what James did in signing to play alongside Wade and Bosh and has designs on doing something similar.

Anthony has one year left on his deal with the Nuggets before he can become a free agent. The Nuggets, meanwhile, have offered Anthony a three-year, $65 million contract extension.

Anthony has until next June 30 to sign the extension, and the Nuggets have said they have no intention of trading Anthony. While most league executives believe Anthony will sign the extension, several sources close to him said he will not sign and that his ultimate desire is to play in New York.

Meanwhile, the Hornets have scheduled a face-to-face sitdown with Paul for Monday in New Orleans, sources with knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Hornets, the sources said, will be represented by team president Hugh Weber, general manager Dell Demps and coach Monty Williams, with the hope that Paul -- once he has his first extended conversation with the new GM and coach -- will give the Hornets' new basketball decision-makers an opportunity to sell him on their plan to improve the roster.

If they are not presented with realistic scenarios that convince Paul that New Orleans can build a contender very quickly, he'll ask the club to begin speaking to the Knicks, Magic, Mavericks and Trail Blazers about possible trades.

Paul's demands come in the immediate aftermath of a Hornets overhaul within the coaching staff and front office. A little more than a month after making 38-year-old Williams the youngest coach in the NBA, the Hornets hired Williams' longtime friend and former NBA teammate, 40-year-old Demps on Wednesday.

The pitch is expected to include reminders that the Hornets, despite ongoing uncertainty about the proposed ownership transfer from George Shinn to Gary Chouest, had a payroll close to the luxury-tax line last season and would have been in tax territory again next season if not for the draft-day deal that sent Morris Peterson to Oklahoma City.

The Hornets, sources said, will use that reminder to support their claim that they have shown a willingness to spend in recent seasons but spent their money poorly. Sources maintain that Paul's increasingly strained relationship with former GM Jeff Bower was a major factor in Bower's dismissal, but Weber contends that Demps -- after five seasons in the Spurs' highly respected front office -- will make better use of New Orleans' resources.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    On an aside, the Knicks are hamstrung by the 90 day rule and can't trade Felton or the 3 guys for Lee. So the only trade chips are Curry, Gallo, and Chandler as you noted.

I thought the 90 day rule was just for free agents? Didn't know it was for players acquired via trade also.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn you lockejet! Removed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Green 2423 View Post
    I thought the 90 day rule was just for free agents? Didn't know it was for players acquired via trade also.
    I was 100% DEAD WRONG (Happy, LockeJet ). I editted my post above.

I misread the rule. You are correct, the 90 day rule only applies to FA.

The traded players go under a different rule which only applies to the original team that traded for them (meaning, the Knicks can't trade the 3 back to GS).

So YES, Randolph and the other 2 are trade bait.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, with my corrected info on who can & can't be traded, I think a package of Curry, Randolph & Chandler might work.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, with my corrected info on who can & can't be traded, I think a package of Curry, Randolph & Chandler might work.

+1, I think Randolph is the more attractive piece for the Hornets & I would start w/him if I were the Knicks.......he's much more versatile & can play multiple positions, hometown kid (went to LSU), plus they save about $1.5 mil this year since his salary is less than Gallos

Paul
    Azubuike/Felton?
    Gallo
    Amare
    Turiaf

Obviously they would move Felton after 12/15, would probably wanna get a big man in return

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Green 2423 View Post
    +1, I think Randolph is the more attractive piece for the Hornets & I would start w/him if I were the Knicks.......he's much more versatile & can play multiple positions, hometown kid (went to LSU), plus they save about $1.5 mil this year since his salary is less than Gallos

Paul
    Azubuike/Felton?
    Gallo
    Amare
    Turiaf

Obviously they would move Felton after 12/15, would probably wanna get a big man in return
    Sounds good. I think they keep Felton, though, until they really need to get rid of him.

Also, if NOR takes Curry, Randolph, and Chandler for Paul (not a bad trade for both sides IMO because of the cap relief NOR gets), I figured out that the Knicks would have about $5 million in capspace in 2011.

That's a roster that includes Paul, Amare, Gallo, Turiaf, Douglas, Walker, Felton, and the Russian.

The Knicks would need to clear another $11 mil in capspace to get Melo. They can do that by trading Turiaf's and Felton's expiring contracts (Turiaf has a player option at $4.3 mil and Felton has 1 yr left at $7 mil).

If I'm not mistaken, because the Knicks would still be under the cap they could trade Turiaf and Felton for draft picks rather than having to bring players back.