Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Mets and trades

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mets and trades

If the Mets are unable to “trade up” should they “trade down”?

Would the Red Sox pay the price to get Josh Thole or Pedro Feliciano?

Would the Padres want any of our second basemen?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    If the Mets are unable to “trade up” should they “trade down”?

Would the Red Sox pay the price to get Josh Thole or Pedro Feliciano?

Would the Padres want any of our second basemen?
    Why would the Mets trade Thole, a guy who could be the catcher of the future? The guys you have to trade are Beltran, which is impossible due to his knee, Castillo, Frency, and others.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They're not going to sell, for one, they're still well in the Wildcard picture and the Division isn't out of reach either, and for two, jobs are on the line.

I think what they'll do is buy, but not pursue the big names. I think it's pretty clear they're not interested in paying the price (Both in prospects and money) for a guy like Oswalt. Instead, they'll end up targeting a Ben Sheets, Brett Myers, Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook-esque starter who won't cost a ton, but will allow us to move Takahashi back to the Pen.

Thole is probably the future C here, and we'd be better off cashing in on Feliciano's impending Type A Free Agent status. So I don't see them being dealt.

I could see a couple players on our ML roster shopped though, regardless of buying or selling.

Barajas - Wouldn't bring back much, but he's cheap, has a good defensive reputation, could have some appeal as a stop gap to a team like Boston, and would allow the Mets to make Thole into an everyday player.
    Francoeur - He's the odd man out in the OF situation, and Carter and Feliciano can handle whichever games Beltran needs off (Obviously with Pagan sliding over to Center). Again, not expecting much of a return though, but I could see him being of some value on, say the Padres.
    Castillo/Perez - Obviously you'd have to eat almost all of the contracts, but if they can find a taker......

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    They're not going to sell, for one, they're still well in the Wildcard picture and the Division isn't out of reach either, and for two, jobs are on the line.

I think what they'll do is buy, but not pursue the big names. I think it's pretty clear they're not interested in paying the price (Both in prospects and money) for a guy like Oswalt. Instead, they'll end up targeting a Ben Sheets, Brett Myers, Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook-esque starter who won't cost a ton, but will allow us to move Takahashi back to the Pen.

Thole is probably the future C here, and we'd be better off cashing in on Feliciano's impending Type A Free Agent status. So I don't see them being dealt.

I could see a couple players on our ML roster shopped though, regardless of buying or selling.

Barajas - Wouldn't bring back much, but he's cheap, has a good defensive reputation, could have some appeal as a stop gap to a team like Boston, and would allow the Mets to make Thole into an everyday player.
    Francoeur - He's the odd man out in the OF situation, and Carter and Feliciano can handle whichever games Beltran needs off (Obviously with Pagan sliding over to Center). Again, not expecting much of a return though, but I could see him being of some value on, say the Padres.
    Castillo/Perez - Obviously you'd have to eat almost all of the contracts, but if they can find a taker......

In general I agree with you. Omar/Jerry need to keep their jobs so their motivation will be to trade up.

However we should be talking to Boston about Catchers and the Bullpen. And if they (or anyone offers) a blue chip for Thole and a reliever we should jump on it like a bum on a bologna sandwich.
    It would be nice if we sent Castillo and cash to the Padres for someone who would play for us someday.