Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees, Phillies, Cardnals, Twins, and Tigers pursuing Dan Haren

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yankees, Phillies, Cardnals, Twins, and Tigers pursuing Dan Haren

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...om-July-070110

Sources: Teams lining up for D-backs' Haren — 4:28 p.m.

The suitors are lining up for Dan Haren — if the Diamondbacks decide to trade him.

The Yankees, Phillies, Cardinals, Twins and Tigers are all pursuing the right-hander, major-league sources say.

The same sources indicated that no deal was close as of Thursday afternoon.

Some in the industry have questioned whether Arizona will trade its ace, given that the organization doesn’t know who its general manager will be beyond the end of this season.

However, financial considerations could outweigh that factor.

Haren is affordable over the remainder of this year, with roughly $4 million due. But then he will earn $12.75 million in each of the next two seasons, followed by a $15.5 million club option for 2013.

If the Diamondbacks are overwhelmed by a prospect package, they may seize the opportunity to liberate themselves from that contract. That would enable the team to have greater roster flexibility heading into 2011.

— Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    i believe he's a notoriously bad 2nd half pitcher..these r his 2nd half era since 03....

avg-4.10..not horrible by todays standards ..and i guess would question a move to al east if i was yanks..wouldnt give up a ton for him

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    IMO Dan Haren is NOT in Cliff Lee's class

I don't care about stats either, I go by what I see and IMO Lee is much better because he can dominate GOOD to GREAT HITTERS and make GOOD to GREAT LINEUPS look ridiculous.

THAT is the mark of an ace.

Cliff Lee is a former CY Young winner, arguably the best lefty in the game and a proven Big Game hunter, and I was 100% confident the Yankees would get Lee extended or re-sign him at seasons end, so I did NOT view that proposed trade as a rental in any real sense ... technically, yes, but not in any real sense in my view.

Therefore I was prepared to part with Montero for this rare exception, but if we part with Montero for Dan Haren I am going to be furious ... Cashman better not do that for Haren ... better not even think about it!!
    i agree!!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    IMO Dan Haren is NOT in Cliff Lee's class
    GJH,

You are goin way out on a limb

But I think he would do well pitching in Citifield

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they should be fine with what's here now. No need to sell the farm for a good but not great pitcher. Not for Montero, who has finally caught on in AAA.

The price would have to be right, and it reportedly is far higher than I'd be willing to pay. If Arizona wants to be "wow'ed" by an offer, the Yankees should not be the highest bidder.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...rs-friday.html

The Yankees are actively talking to the D’backs about Haren, according to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com. If the Yanks can acquire Haren for prospects, Stark says they are poised to accelerate talks.
    I'd trade Romine for Haren, though I doubt they would accept it. They don't have a catching need. It appears they want a pitcher.

Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman, and Ivan Nova are our best pitching prospects, if the Tigers are dangling Jacob Turner, I doubt we could beat that.

I'd give them Joba if they wanted him...
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...rs-friday.html

I'd trade Romine for Haren, though I doubt they would accept it. They don't have a catching need. It appears they want a pitcher.

Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman, and Ivan Nova are our best pitching prospects, if the Tigers are dangling Jacob Turner, I doubt we could beat that.

I'd give them Joba if they wanted him...
    The DBacks have Miguel Montero, so they have no need for Jesus. They will want to trade Chris Snyder as well.

The DBacks have the worst pitching in the majors. They are most likely looking to get a ready to go starter and a prospect.

Job Chamberlain? Do not insult their intelligence.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    The DBacks have Miguel Montero, so they have no need for Jesus. They will want to trade Chris Snyder as well.

The DBacks have the worst pitching in the majors. They are most likely looking to get a ready to go starter and a prospect.

Do you not read the posts you quote?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you not read the posts you quote?
    My post was to confirm your catcher idea-all the Romine and Montero talk, what do the DBacks need that for. It was to also scoff at your Joba talk, like he is a valuable chip right now.

Maybe, maybe the Yanks DBacks could do a MMontero, + Haren for JMontero, plus at least 2 pitching prospects from the Yanks

Too far fetched, I am sure. But it would give the Yanks a catcher immediately, rather than waiting for Jesus.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually Joba Chamberlain is still better than anyone they have in thier bullpen right now. Their bullpen is the worst in baseball. I have mixed feelings about Haren. He's good, but I don't know how he will do in the AL East.

Does anyone have Haren's stats against AL East teams? Please post if you do.

If the Yankees do get Haren, they better not give up Montero or Nova for him; and I would be pretty sure that Vazquez would be trade by end of next week.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Actually Joba Chamberlain is still better than anyone they have in thier bullpen right now.I have mixed feelings about Haren. He's good, but I don't know how he will do in the AL East.

If the Yankees do get Haren, they better not give up Montero or Nova for him; and I would be pretty sure that Vazquez would be trade by end of next week.
    The Yankees are looking to move Joba from the 8th to the 7th. Other teams see the same things they do.

Plus Joba now has almost 3 years on the books. The DBacks are looking to stay away from players coming into arbitration.

They need a closer, but Joba no longer fits that bill

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Joba Chamberlain is still better than anyone they have in thier bullpen right now. Their bullpen is the worst in baseball. I have mixed feelings about Haren. He's good, but I don't know how he will do in the AL East.

You trade Ivan Nova for Dan Haren..... and don't think twice

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You trade Ivan Nova for Dan Haren..... and don't think twice
    They want more than that.

Haren is controlled I believe the next 3 years, and fairly affordable.

They do better than that deal

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Yankees are looking to move Joba from the 8th to the 7th. Other teams see the same things they do.

Plus Joba now has almost 3 years on the books. The DBacks are looking to stay away from players coming into arbitration.

They need a closer, but Joba no longer fits that bill
    I know all that. But Joba is STILL better than anyone the D'Backs have in their bullpen. Regardless of Joba's struggles he's an upgrade for the D'Backs. They're that bad. The Mets made them look like the 1996 Yankees bullpen though LOL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They want more than that.

Haren is controlled I believe the next 3 years, and fairly affordable.

They do better than that deal
    Of course... but he wouldn't come between trading or not trading for Haren

Ivan Nova was Rule 5 guy a couple years ago. The Yankees left him unprotected and he was picked up by I believe the Padres, he never made made the team and was offered back to us after Spring Training.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I know all that. But Joba is STILL better than anyone the D'Backs have in their bullpen. Regardless of Joba's struggles he's an upgrade for the D'Backs. They're that bad. The Mets made them look like the 1996 Yankees bullpen though LOL.
    They can get controllable bullpen help elsewhere. Not in return for Dan Haren

If you want to make Joba a piece of the trade, ok. But he would not be the primary component from the DBacks view.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman, Ivan Nova, Joba Chamberlain (Pick 2) plus shortstop Eduardo Nunez. Maybe they could do better than that.. but that's probably as far as I would go unless they like some a different position prospect like Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, David Adams.. whoever over Nunez. Though I think they could use a SS, Stephen Drew is a bust.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-23-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Andrew Brackman, Ivan Nova, Joba Chamberlain (Pick 2) plus shortstop Eduardo Nunez. Maybe they could do better than that.. but that's probably as far as I would go unless they like some a different position prospect like Corban Joseph, Brandon Laird, David Adams.. whoever
    They said they are looking for quality, not quantity. You would know better from that list than I would.

The DBacks are interesting:
    C-Montero-A stud who can be at that position for a number of years for them
    1B-A Laroche-I would guess a trade chip here.
    2b-K Johnson-Not sure how long they control him, but he is having a career year
    SS-Drew-I would assume they still like him
    3B -Reynolds- He will be around a while
    RF-Upton-Stud
    CF C Young-having a 2nd career year
    LF-They need help

They are not set too bad positionally. Ian Kennedy has been a revelation. I think they control E Jackson only for another year or 2.

Bullpen, as we said, a mess.

It really comes down to arms.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    They said they are looking for quality, not quantity. You would know better from that list than I would.

The DBacks are interesting:
    C-Montero-A stud who can be at that position for a number of years for them
    1B-A Laroche-I would guess a trade chip here.
    2b-K Johnson-Not sure how long they control him, but he is having a career year
    SS-Drew-I would assume they still like him
    3B -Reynolds- He will be around a while
    RF-Upton-Stud
    CF C Young-having a 2nd career year
    LF-They need help

They are not set too bad positionally. Ian Kennedy has been a revelation. I think they control E Jackson only for another year or 2.

Bullpen, as we said, a mess.

It really comes down to arms.
    I'm not naming 2nd tier prospects, these aren't quanity prospects, these are our best high upside prospects in the system other than the 2 catchers. I leave out guys like Slade Heatchott and Sanchez because they aren't even playing full season ball yet.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not naming 2nd tier prospects, these aren't quanity prospects, these are our best high upside prospects in the system other than the 2 catchers. I leave out guys like Slade Heatchott and Sanchez because they aren't even playing full season ball yet.
    A Dan Haren probably requires 3 prospects, or 2+ prospects and a fringe guy.

As I said, you would know better based on your knowledge of the Yankeee farm system.