Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    No doubt, Beck respected Les Paul both as a musician and his pioneering work electrifying the guitar.
    One of my huge regrets is that I never found the time to get over to Fat Tuesdays or the Iridium to see Les play. Seemed like he would be there forever and there would always be time.

ANd I was always in/around Manhattan....just never pulled the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    One of my huge regrets is that I never found the time to get over to Fat Tuesdays or the Iridium to see Les play. Seemed like he would be there forever and there would always be time.

ANd I was always in/around Manhattan....just never pulled the trigger.

Fun gig to see. Tons of famous guys would just walk in and get called up by Les Paul. Don't recall if I ever saw any heavy hitters sit in.

Do you remember where Woody Allen's jazz band played back in the 70s/80s? I know he plays The Carlyle, but that's not where I went. I want to say Michael's Pub somewhere on the East Side?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I want to say Michael's Pub somewhere on the East Side?
    Yeah, Michael's.

Missing that...... is not a huge regret.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Yeah, Michael's.

Missing that...... is not a huge regret.

-
    Actually, it was very good. But, I agree, you need to appreciate Dixieland.

I have a group of professional musician friends who all said Woody could play.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Actually, it was very good. But, I agree, you need to appreciate Dixieland.

I have a group of professional musician friends who all said Woody could play.
    I actually like it, but just would never go out of my way to see it.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Still on sabbatical on GuitarInsider.com forum (bunch of dicks on that site) so figured I'd post this here, never heard it before. Didn't realize Prince was a good guitar player--one of my favorite Beatles songs. Don't love his act or his get up, but he does a nice solo job starting at about 3:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByqXu6nGYA

_

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Still on sabbatical on GuitarInsider.com forum (bunch of dicks on that site) so figured I'd post this here, never heard it before. Didn't realize Prince was a good guitar player--one of my favorite Beatles songs. Don't love his act or his get up, but he does a nice solo job starting at about 3:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByqXu6nGYA

_
    Hi, JS.

Yeah, that video has come up from time to time. Prince is a badass guitar player (you can hear his homage to Hendrix on my of his songs). The guy is equally talented as a musician (guitar, piano, drums, etc.), songwriter, and producer.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Purple Rain

completely have to disagree on the prince love sorry fellas. hes ok,,,,,,just ok

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    And Beck would tell you it's Les Paul.
    Or Roy Buchanan, one of the best guitarists ever & one of my favorites, (destroyed by alcoholism & found dead. He hung himself, in some VA jail) in addition to Jimi, Beck & Winter. Jeff & Roy were actually friends & Jeff took lessons from him. Beck makes tribute to Roy on Wired.The song Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, is such a cool blend of both men's styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Teng Fei View Post
    Or Roy Buchanan, one of the best guitarists ever & one of my favorites, (destroyed by alcoholism & found dead. He hung himself, in some VA jail) in addition to Jimi, Beck & Winter. Jeff & Roy were actually friends & Jeff took lessons from him. Beck makes tribute to Roy on Wired.The song Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, is such a cool blend of both men's styles.
    Goodbye Porkpie hat. Written by Charles Mingus.

Mingus was readily accepted by most Jazz bass players in the 50s and 60s as the most gifted bass player ever to play upright bass. Not the best..as there were too many greats. He was on par with anyone in that category. He was to the bass what Coltrane was to the tenor and alto saxaphone.

My favorite Mingus version is this studio version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hArClJAGZs

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Goodbye Porkpie hat. Written by Charles Mingus.

Mingus was readily accepted by most Jazz bass players in the 50s and 60s as the most gifted bass player ever to play upright bass. Not the best..as there were too many greats. He was on par with anyone in that category. He was to the bass what Coltrane was to the tenor and alto saxaphone.

My favorite Mingus version is this studio version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hArClJAGZs

Bewildered Beast
    It's a tune Stevie Wonder wrote that Stevie suggested Beck should record; using the lines (that) Roy inspired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriEq4H1XSU

Jets Insider VIP
    I never join these music threads because I can't access YouTube from work but the first artist I thought of was Robert Cray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gQEDwjhaDE

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    completely have to disagree on the prince love sorry fellas. hes ok,,,,,,just ok
    I don't particularly like his song writing, but his chops are pretty stellar.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    It's a tune Stevie Wonder wrote that Stevie suggested Beck should record; using the lines (that) Roy inspired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriEq4H1XSU
    I can't see the "you tube", thanks to the local, friendly CCP Can you give me a hint There is another Beck/Wonder connection. Beck played on the song, Superstition, on Wonder's Talking Book album. Beck covered Superstition on his Beck, Bogert & Appice album, one of his weakest records. The import, is another story, Beck, Bogert & Appice Live (in Japan), absolutely rocks & is only surpassed, by his most recent masterpiece, Live at Ronnie Scott's, which Borgoguy, raves about, as well. I would have "given my left nut", to attend one of those intimate sets!

Jets Insider VIP
    The B-52's

Yeah, I'm a fan.

Dating back to my coked-out early 20's in the late 80's.

Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

Bewildered Beast
    I can't see the "you tube", thanks to the local, friendly CCP Can you give me a hint There is another Beck/Wonder connection. Beck played on the song, Superstition, on Wonder's Talking Book album. Beck covered Superstition on his Beck, Bogert & Appice album, one of his weakest records. The import, is another story, Beck, Bogert & Appice Live (in Japan), absolutely rocks & is only surpassed, by his most recent masterpiece, Live at Ronnie Scott's, which Borgoguy, raves about, as well. I would have "given my left nut", to attend one of those intimate sets!
    There is a song called "Because we've ended as Lovers" dedicated to Roy Buchanon. It's on Blow by Blow. I didn't know you wouldn't be able to see the you tube; pics worth a thousand...etc

Dude, seriously rethink your font.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    There is a song called "Because we've ended as Lovers" dedicated to Roy Buchanon. It's on Blow by Blow. I didn't know you wouldn't be able to see the you tube; pics worth a thousand...etc
    Oh, yeah!!! Thanks! That is a real tribute song to Roy. Jeff played that song way back when, in 1973 or 74, when I saw him at the Passaic Theater.
    It was a double bill, with John McLaughlin And The Mahavishnu Orchestra (It was McLaughlin's turn, to head line that night.) After Beck's encore, the " We want Beck" chants, would not stop, even after McLaughlin took the stage. He quietly responded, by saying, "Yes, I know" & immediately fired off a blistering rendition of Birds of Fire Needless to say, I heard very few "Beck" chants after that. (It really shut me up fast The set was mesmerizing & loud. One of best Beck concerts I attended. I Will never forget this concert of two virtuosos.
    Last edited by Ma Teng Fei; 02-06-2013 at 01:53 AM.