Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 273

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Like your comment about folks thinking Cat Stevens wrote "Cat's in the Cradle", how many people would swear that Santana penned "Black Magic Woman"?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0uS0IhXYLA

  2. #62
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,762
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dub80 View Post
    Lol, seriously? Most people couldn't name 5 songs from these cats or even 3 of their albums. THAT's how they're underrated. You think most clowns would know Satch has got a signature Ibanez guitar? Not only that, they don't get enough credit for their playing
    You're missing the point of the thread.

    Popularity on the charts does not equate to being underrated as a musician.

    Take Prince for instance. Most people don't know how talented as a musician he is, yet he's sold millions of records....

    Satriani is on a tour with two other guitar-slinger, shredder guys. To say that he's underrated is really incorrect.

    sorry.

  3. #63
    I always thought John Waite was an underrated singer. Also thought The baby's should have made it bigger.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-c8X52Qg4o

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zk5Z...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK6YF...eature=related
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 07-23-2010 at 05:44 PM.

  4. #64
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Breckenridge, CO
    Posts
    3,994
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    You're missing the point of the thread.

    Popularity on the charts does not equate to being underrated as a musician.

    Take Prince for instance. Most people don't know how talented as a musician he is, yet he's sold millions of records....
    Satriani is on a tour with two other guitar-slinger, shredder guys. To say that he's underrated is really incorrect.

    sorry.
    +1. Saw him perform on a George Harrison tribute, and he owned it!!! I used to think he just played Little Red Corvette!

    And check out the heavies he's ripping it up with!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoR6YQ1V8ks

  5. #65

  6. #66
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,682
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    LOL, I love Chester. Phil Collins got a hold of him after he played with Frank Zappa for 4 years. Ralph Humphries is the most underrated musician,because he took Chester under his wing. Ralph could play like a jazz drummer with great touch, but he also could bring the monster paradiddles like Billy Cobham. I gathered all this from an excellent DVD with Humphries, Terry Bozzio, Chad Wackerman, Chester. "The Drummers of Frank Zappa".
    I heard that Collins interviewed a ton of drummers. He loved Chester as he was disciplined. He didn't have an ego trying to show off.
    Zappa instilled that in the musicans who played for him..

  7. #67
    Wow . . . until Borgo mentioned the Babies and but for the numerous Phil Collins references, this thread could easily have been called "Musicians AFCEastFan Hates" I would add that Phil Collins was great on the drums in the post-Gabriel era as well, see, e.g., the first two Robert Plant solo albums. Even the drums on some of his solo efforts are outstanding, such as "It Don't Matter to Me", my personal favorite drum performance from his solo career. I think his excellence on drums is overshadowed by his largely saccharine, sell-out, solo career and his terrible performance at Live-Aid when he tried to upstage my main man Tony Thompson by jumping on a second set of drums with Led Zep unrehearsed, and sounded like garbage.

    Anyway, here are my two cents on underrated musicians, starting with the criminally underrated Saga and followed by the feloniously underrated Terry Reid, who is receiving weekly royalty checks from Chris Robinson if there is any justice in this world.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQLWM...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8vBn65wTR0

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Please use the word "underrated" properly, guys.
    Yes this thread has swayed off course a tad. moving to who you like, who is awesome thread. Haynes, Trucks, Frusciante, Satriani, Gilmore,Garcia etc - non of these guys are underrated.

  9. #69

  10. #70
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Even Gilmour would tell you it's Jeff Beck.


    Even Gilmour would tell you he's not in the top 100, nice player YES, nice tone YES, nice melodic and rythmic work YES.

  11. #71
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,991
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Even Gilmour would tell you he's not in the top 100, nice player YES, nice tone YES, nice melodic and rythmic work YES.
    Gilmour might say that, but if you are telling me he is not in the top 100....

    I guess you cant be convinced otherwise, which is cool.

    I for one think CLapton is overated.

    Never heard a single thing he did that "got me"... except Tears in Heaven, and not because of his guitar playing.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Are vocalists "musicians?"

    Always loved this guy's voice.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Uz-dPANDY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GthncgEEMs0

    Me'Shell Ndegeocello (an amazing bass player... with one of my all-time fave pop songs)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvqtMFsuPc

    and although he's the Modfather in Europe he really gets no love here in north America... Paul Weller
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9WhRpQw8E

  13. #73
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,991
    Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    :and although he's the Modfather in Europe he really gets no love here in north America... Paul Weller
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9WhRpQw8E



    Great pick.

  14. #74
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

    I for one think CLapton is overated.

    Never heard a single thing he did that "got me"... except Tears in Heaven, and not because of his guitar playing.
    This song always got me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OLK_HSyy1U&feature=fvw

  15. #75
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,991
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I'll raise you an underated Gary Moore.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8iykBFaHbM

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Gilmour might say that, but if you are telling me he is not in the top 100....

    I guess you cant be convinced otherwise, which is cool.

    I for one think CLapton is overated.

    Never heard a single thing he did that "got me"... except Tears in Heaven, and not because of his guitar playing.
    I was never a "Clapton is God" person, but he continues to be one of my top five guitar players of the 60s & 70s. The Cream records, his first solo album, and the Derek & the Dominoes work are all stellar IMO, and showcase his brilliance.

    The two wah-wah solos on "White Room" are "stop you in your tracks" phenomenal. It's difficult for younger folks to comprehend the revolutionary nature of this sound at the time. I'm listening to the second solo now and my face is contorting to squeeze out Clapton's notes. Still get goosebumps.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZeq...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGz7fMBj7o

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJYdJ53_tS8

  17. #77
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I was never a "Clapton is God" person, but he continues to be one of my top five guitar players of the 60s & 70s. The Cream records, his first solo album, and the Derek & the Dominoes work are all stellar IMO, and showcase his brilliance.

    The two wah-wah solos on "White Room" are "stop you in your tracks" phenomenal. It's difficult for younger folks to comprehend the revolutionary nature of this sound at the time. I'm listening to the second solo now and my face is contorting to squeeze out Clapton's notes. Still get goosebumps.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZeq...eature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bGz7fMBj7o

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJYdJ53_tS8
    Good stuff, Borgo, and I dont deny his historical role.

  18. #78
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I'll raise you an underated Gary Moore.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8iykBFaHbM
    Wow- that guys has a VERY Santana-ish sound. Very clean. Nice.


    _

  19. #79
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    30,507
    Quote Originally Posted by JI View Post
    I heard that Collins interviewed a ton of drummers. He loved Chester as he was disciplined. He didn't have an ego trying to show off.
    Zappa instilled that in the musicans who played for him..
    You HAVE to see this DVD, Matt. No if, ands or buts. CThompson tells a bunch of war stories (they all do) about what it was like to be "discovered" by Frank; how their audition got set up, and what went down asz they played. If you made it past 15 minutes, that was an unusual thing.

    After 15 minutes of getting the kitchen sink thrown at him, Chester jammed with FZ for 45 minutes or something. For all of the hard passages, Chester got the job because FZ could build on his powerful groove.

  20. #80
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,991
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You HAVE to see this DVD, Matt. No if, ands or buts. CThompson tells a bunch of war stories (they all do) about what it was like to be "discovered" by Frank; how their audition got set up, and what went down asz they played. If you made it past 15 minutes, that was an unusual thing.

    After 15 minutes of getting the kitchen sink thrown at him, Chester jammed with FZ for 45 minutes or something. For all of the hard passages, Chester got the job because FZ could build on his powerful groove.
    Thats sounds awesome...WCO...which DVD are you referring to and where did you get it...

    I'm too lazy to go back!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us