Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 273

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I think I've mentioned before that he is my favorite drummer of all time, so I admit I may be a bit biased re Chic.
    No doubt, one of the all time greats behind the kit.

    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Holy smokes; you got 'em rocking over here!

    I love these guys!
    Late to the party, I "discovered" King's X back in the 90s. They continue to astound with their unique tone, sonic attack, and vocals.

    Now imagine Gaskill is laying down that huge groove, as well as making all the complex cuts and time signature shifts, whilst singing his part of there flawless three-part harmony. The section of the video above beginning at approx. 2:25 until the end really showcases Gaskill's chops. Just crazy good.

  2. #202
    I'll give you another band which, on talent alone, should have been massive: Fishbone. The rhythm section of brothers John and Phillip ("Fish") Fisher, bass and drums respectively, is incredible. And vocally? These guys cook.

    Listen to this bass onslaught.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ZVbw74OhU

    Other musical mastery:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61XAN2Ujw

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV5Nkah8nP8

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Players who appear average but are way above average..

    Paul McCartney.
    Paul Simon
    DAve Matthews
    McCartney is a great bassist...people sometimes overlook him because of his songwriting prowess and non technical approach.

  4. #204
    Victor Wooten on bass. Listen to some Flecktones stuff or some of his solo material.

  5. #205
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    Victor Wooten on bass. Listen to some Flecktones stuff or some of his solo material.
    F*cking this right here.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    Victor Wooten on bass. Listen to some Flecktones stuff or some of his solo material.
    Yeah, over the years, I've posted several videos of Wooten's advanced bass lessons and those of Bela's extraordinary work. Nice addition, Porgyman.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz8qHxsKu6A

  7. #207
    Seconded: All the Adrian Belew references. One of my faves, absolutely haunting:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yIIr1nIpZ4

    In the heavy music realm, no band is more criminally underrated than Trouble. Not even the blistering Rick Rubin production could save them from obscurity. It didn't help that they refused to wear makeup or dress up like whores, but they kicked much **** in their day:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJma9x2Tlrw

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nJK_6idQM

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCer_l-sF6s

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    Seconded: All the Adrian Belew references. One of my faves, absolutely haunting:


    In the heavy music realm, no band is more criminally underrated than Trouble. Not even the blistering Rick Rubin production could save them from obscurity. It didn't help that they refused to wear makeup or dress up like whores, but they kicked much **** in their day:
    You got me on this one, THS. Never heard of these guys.

    Thanks for the addition and reference. Great heaviness.

  9. #209
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Yeah, over the years, I've posted several videos of Wooten's advanced bass lessons and those of Bela's extraordinary work. Nice addition, Porgyman.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz8qHxsKu6A
    meh...He's OK.


    My favorite piece is Norwegian wood. Check this out at about 35 sec mark.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwGcE2IOMc
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 12-01-2012 at 04:13 PM.

  10. #210
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,949
    Under rated. Wierd Al Yankovick.

  11. #211
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tn via Atkins, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll give you another band which, on talent alone, should have been massive: Fishbone. The rhythm section of brothers John and Phillip ("Fish") Fisher, bass and drums respectively, is incredible. And vocally? These guys cook.

    Listen to this bass onslaught.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ZVbw74OhU

    Other musical mastery:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61XAN2Ujw

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV5Nkah8nP8
    I freakin love Fishbone. Also 24-7 spyz. Badass.
    I never under rated those guys. Some others... mix stylings.. Rim Emmitt or anything Triumph, Blue Murder, Mother Love Bone( okay, Andrew was special, the rest of them were okay), Reeves Gabriels, Myles Kennedy (the baddest, hardest working, mega vocalist working that I can't seem to get people to rave about.

  12. #212
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tn via Atkins, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    No doubt, one of the all time greats behind the kit.



    Late to the party, I "discovered" King's X back in the 90s. They continue to astound with their unique tone, sonic attack, and vocals.

    Now imagine Gaskill is laying down that huge groove, as well as making all the complex cuts and time signature shifts, whilst singing his part of there flawless three-part harmony. The section of the video above beginning at approx. 2:25 until the end really showcases Gaskill's chops. Just crazy good.
    Saw Kings X at a small show with friends that know them. Doug hug my wife, then me, a little longer than he did my wife, an invited us on to the bus. I won't tell you what they are into, but Ty is a dickhole and if not for being so talented, I would have killed him. Doug Pinnick is a beautiful human being, who I did not have any kind of man sex with... at all. Just a story I can't tell on here.

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    meh...He's OK.


    My favorite piece is Norwegian wood. Check this out at about 35 sec mark.
    Wow. To be that good at anything is such a gift/blessing.

    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    I freakin love Fishbone. Also 24-7 spyz. Badass.
    I never under rated those guys. Some others... mix stylings.. Rim Emmitt or anything Triumph, Blue Murder, Mother Love Bone( okay, Andrew was special, the rest of them were okay), Reeves Gabriels, Myles Kennedy (the baddest, hardest working, mega vocalist working that I can't seem to get people to rave about.
    I put Fishbone as underrated because, IMO, the average person would not recognize the band or know their songs.

    Gabrels is a dead on addition. Just a phenomenal, mostly unknown, musician, with massive tone and complete mastery of guitar histrionics. Loved his work with Bowie, especially Tin Machine. (Check 1:25 on.)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNot9hvuRw

    As for Myles, there is no better vocalist out there today. Love his work with Alter Bridge and Slash.

    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Saw Kings X at a small show with friends that know them. Doug hug my wife, then me, a little longer than he did my wife, an invited us on to the bus. I won't tell you what they are into, but Ty is a dickhole and if not for being so talented, I would have killed him. Doug Pinnick is a beautiful human being, who I did not have any kind of man sex with... at all. Just a story I can't tell on here.
    You gotta tell it, Razor.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 12-02-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: misspelling

  14. #214
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tn via Atkins, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,276
    Let's just say, he had A Lot of meds for an impacted sinus and wanted to share with me over anyone else.

    And Borgo, I'm sure you've heard of Jocko Pastorius, dude could make a bass lay down and pray and attack your ideas of bass guitar all at once.

  15. #215
    shannon hoon RIP just a phenominal voice

    alex lifeson is maybe the best guitar player ever, imo right up there with hendrix and van halen. nobody has his sweet touch

    frank zappa, misunderstood by most, was also brilliant

  16. #216
    and if you want to talk about probably the most under rated rock band /album that honor goes out to NY's own RIOT. If you can pick up a copy of restless breed grab it every song rocks


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdjupDKNDlA

  17. #217
    poor rhet forrester....stops at a stop sign and gets shot for his car

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ev7CEZHCoQ

  18. #218

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    poor rhet forrester....stops at a stop sign and gets shot for his car

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ev7CEZHCoQ

    Riot was awesome and Forrester had a great voice, but I'm taking the Esperanza and Moore lineups over this one. Better songs, better production. Give Reale's great Westworld a listen if you haven't yet.
    Last edited by The Hit Stick; 12-03-2012 at 09:58 AM.

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    shannon hoon RIP just a phenominal voice

    alex lifeson is maybe the best guitar player ever, imo right up there with hendrix and van halen. nobody has his sweet touch

    frank zappa, misunderstood by most, was also brilliant
    Blind Melon is the only 90s band I listen to much nowadays. Soup is one of the 5 best albums of the 90s, and Mouthful of Cavities is one of the top 5 songs of that era, IMO. Hoon was extraordinary and had a great writing partnership with Chris, the bass player.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us