Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Even Gilmour would tell you it's Jeff Beck.
    I concur...Beck is simply an amazing guitarist. Incredibly nuanced playing like no other.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to imagine that a group of Zappa alums could be underrated, but these guys qualify, I think. Having only heard their commercial successes like "Words" and "Destination Unknown" in the 80's, I was blown away when I stumbled across this song last year. The musicianship is truly outstanding (particularly from Terry Bozzio on drums and Warren Cuccurullo on guitar) and the song is ahead of its time for 1983:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v98rgDvcF_k

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you figure Chicago is an underrated band? Back in the 70s, they were huge.

FTR, hated them almost as much as Steely Dan. Decent musicians, but sappy songs and sound. Enough with the f**king horn solos.
    Chicago Transit Authority!!!!

You had to catch them BEFORE the sappy **** started.

Check out early stuff.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I concur...Beck is simply an amazing guitarist. Incredibly nuanced playing like no other.
    I mentioned them earlier in the thread. If you have not seen the Ronnie Scott live shows, go immediately to YouTube. Beck is playing on another level entirely.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mentioned them earlier in the thread. If you have not seen the Ronnie Scott live shows, go immediately to YouTube. Beck is playing on another level entirely.
    oh I've seen it may times...and have it as a YouTube fav on my iPad. Just otherworldly playing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Chicago Transit Authority!!!!

You had to catch them BEFORE the sappy **** started.

Check out early stuff.
    I know. During that period, most of my pals loved CTA. Much consternation on my part.

I'll give you that CTA was miles better than "Chicago", especially with Peter Cetera. For some reason, their sound just never clicked with me. As much as I appreciate the late Terry Kath's talent, his tone and soling style grated on me. Personal taste, that's all. "Bobby" Lamm, though? Meat cleavers for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Hard to imagine that a group of Zappa alums could be underrated, but these guys qualify, I think. Having only heard their commercial successes like "Words" and "Destination Unknown" in the 80's, I was blown away when I stumbled across this song last year. The musicianship is truly outstanding (particularly from Terry Bozzio on drums and Warren Cuccurullo on guitar) and the song is ahead of its time for 1983:

Beast.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know. During that period, most of my pals loved CTA. Much consternation on my part.

I'll give you that CTA was miles better than "Chicago", especially with Peter Cetera. For some reason, their sound just never clicked with me. As much as I appreciate the late Terry Kath's talent, his tone and soling style grated on me. Personal taste, that's all. "Bobby" Lamm, though? Meat cleavers for him.
    Hey us nerdy trombone players had to have something!

I'll spare you the Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangione clips.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Hey us nerdy trombone players had to have something!

I'll spare you the Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangione clips.
    LOL. Still have the Jimmy Pankow poster up on the wall.

Maynard is one of my jazz trumpet heros (For me, Mangione was more jazz/pop.) . Probably the first musician from that genre that I recall playing in that insanely fast tempo and register. Generally, I don't dig horns in rock.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    a couple of my favorites from the 70's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAD51d5X9s

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    and I dont even own a TV.

that works

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sam Beam, i.e. Iron & Wine, remains my #1. If he was in the 60's, he have been a better Dylan.

It's hard tho, because so many of my personal favorites are clearly and stringly infuenced by what came before, so the old "if they were in that era" doesn't really work.

Black Mountain is another, they are VERY 1970's Sabbath/Floyd Hybrid, and if they existed in that era, they'd have been massive beyond belief IMO. Today, they get to play clubs and sell a few tens of thousands only, and are a fringe cult-fav band.

Point is there is ALOT of VERY underrated music about today, but few if anyone knows about it because we're in a post-rock era where pop and black-culture music like rap and R&B are the big big deals. The only rock that gets attention is the laughably bad Nu-Metal Influenced mainstream crap, and even that doesn't get much attention.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post

Oh man as a senior in high school I formed a Zappa posse for those Halloween (Palladium, not MTV! ) shows; Chester Thompson moved from the mothers to touring with Collins; Ralph humphries stayed in LA...my step brother and I were telling anyone interested "You HAVE to see the new drummer - FZ only needs one of this guy! what an animal...yada yada yada..." and I saw Missing Persons in 80-82 My Fathers Place.

ayway, imoThe "fusion" of power pop/punk and top flight musos NEVER delivered. Talking Heads were killing everybody back then; PIL...hip hop muscled in and it was over for the virtuosos.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you figure Chicago is an underrated band? Back in the 70s, they were huge.

FTR, hated them almost as much as Steely Dan. Decent musicians, but sappy songs and sound. Enough with the f**king horn solos.
    Man, you need to shut up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Still have the Jimmy Pankow poster up on the wall.

Maynard is one of my jazz trumpet heros (For me, Mangione was more jazz/pop.) . Probably the first musician from that genre that I recall playing in that insanely fast tempo and register. Generally, I don't dig horns in rock.
    I actually got to play with a few guys from Maynards band back in the 80s.

My favorite trupitista is Miles Davis although Dizzy is considered technically better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Man, you need to shut up.
    Oh, okay. Bad horn solos.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I actually got to play with a few guys from Maynards band back in the 80s.

My favorite trupitista is Miles Davis although Dizzy is considered technically better.
    Wow, what was that like?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Maynard James Keenan.
    Perfect Circle should have been HUGE. Great addition to the thread with Maynard, PK.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    Ryan Adams. Dude is ridiculous. He is so prolific, he has tons of unreleased music and entire shelved albums. His demos are better than 90% of "finished" music today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGrm...eature=related
    yes.