Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 273

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

  1. #161
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Even Gilmour would tell you it's Jeff Beck.
    I concur...Beck is simply an amazing guitarist. Incredibly nuanced playing like no other.

  2. #162
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to imagine that a group of Zappa alums could be underrated, but these guys qualify, I think. Having only heard their commercial successes like "Words" and "Destination Unknown" in the 80's, I was blown away when I stumbled across this song last year. The musicianship is truly outstanding (particularly from Terry Bozzio on drums and Warren Cuccurullo on guitar) and the song is ahead of its time for 1983:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v98rgDvcF_k

  3. #163
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    How do you figure Chicago is an underrated band? Back in the 70s, they were huge.

    FTR, hated them almost as much as Steely Dan. Decent musicians, but sappy songs and sound. Enough with the f**king horn solos.
    Chicago Transit Authority!!!!

    You had to catch them BEFORE the sappy **** started.

    Check out early stuff.

  4. #164
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I concur...Beck is simply an amazing guitarist. Incredibly nuanced playing like no other.
    I mentioned them earlier in the thread. If you have not seen the Ronnie Scott live shows, go immediately to YouTube. Beck is playing on another level entirely.

  5. #165
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I mentioned them earlier in the thread. If you have not seen the Ronnie Scott live shows, go immediately to YouTube. Beck is playing on another level entirely.
    oh I've seen it may times...and have it as a YouTube fav on my iPad. Just otherworldly playing.

  6. #166
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Chicago Transit Authority!!!!

    You had to catch them BEFORE the sappy **** started.

    Check out early stuff.
    I know. During that period, most of my pals loved CTA. Much consternation on my part.

    I'll give you that CTA was miles better than "Chicago", especially with Peter Cetera. For some reason, their sound just never clicked with me. As much as I appreciate the late Terry Kath's talent, his tone and soling style grated on me. Personal taste, that's all. "Bobby" Lamm, though? Meat cleavers for him.

  7. #167
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Hard to imagine that a group of Zappa alums could be underrated, but these guys qualify, I think. Having only heard their commercial successes like "Words" and "Destination Unknown" in the 80's, I was blown away when I stumbled across this song last year. The musicianship is truly outstanding (particularly from Terry Bozzio on drums and Warren Cuccurullo on guitar) and the song is ahead of its time for 1983:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v98rgDvcF_k
    Beast.

  8. #168
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I know. During that period, most of my pals loved CTA. Much consternation on my part.

    I'll give you that CTA was miles better than "Chicago", especially with Peter Cetera. For some reason, their sound just never clicked with me. As much as I appreciate the late Terry Kath's talent, his tone and soling style grated on me. Personal taste, that's all. "Bobby" Lamm, though? Meat cleavers for him.
    Hey us nerdy trombone players had to have something!

    I'll spare you the Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangione clips.

  9. #169
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Hey us nerdy trombone players had to have something!

    I'll spare you the Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangione clips.
    LOL. Still have the Jimmy Pankow poster up on the wall.

    Maynard is one of my jazz trumpet heros (For me, Mangione was more jazz/pop.) . Probably the first musician from that genre that I recall playing in that insanely fast tempo and register. Generally, I don't dig horns in rock.

  10. #170
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,212
    Post Thanks / Like

  11. #171
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    gainesville ga
    Posts
    835
    Post Thanks / Like
    a couple of my favorites from the 70's


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAD51d5X9s

  12. #172
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,073
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    and I dont even own a TV.



    that works

  13. #173
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,750
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sam Beam, i.e. Iron & Wine, remains my #1. If he was in the 60's, he have been a better Dylan.

    It's hard tho, because so many of my personal favorites are clearly and stringly infuenced by what came before, so the old "if they were in that era" doesn't really work.

    Black Mountain is another, they are VERY 1970's Sabbath/Floyd Hybrid, and if they existed in that era, they'd have been massive beyond belief IMO. Today, they get to play clubs and sell a few tens of thousands only, and are a fringe cult-fav band.

    Point is there is ALOT of VERY underrated music about today, but few if anyone knows about it because we're in a post-rock era where pop and black-culture music like rap and R&B are the big big deals. The only rock that gets attention is the laughably bad Nu-Metal Influenced mainstream crap, and even that doesn't get much attention.

  14. #174
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Hard to imagine that a group of Zappa alums could be underrated, but these guys qualify, I think. Having only heard their commercial successes like "Words" and "Destination Unknown" in the 80's, I was blown away when I stumbled across this song last year. The musicianship is truly outstanding (particularly from Terry Bozzio on drums and Warren Cuccurullo on guitar) and the song is ahead of its time for 1983:


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v98rgDvcF_k
    Oh man as a senior in high school I formed a Zappa posse for those Halloween (Palladium, not MTV! ) shows; Chester Thompson moved from the mothers to touring with Collins; Ralph humphries stayed in LA...my step brother and I were telling anyone interested "You HAVE to see the new drummer - FZ only needs one of this guy! what an animal...yada yada yada..." and I saw Missing Persons in 80-82 My Fathers Place.

    ayway, imoThe "fusion" of power pop/punk and top flight musos NEVER delivered. Talking Heads were killing everybody back then; PIL...hip hop muscled in and it was over for the virtuosos.

  15. #175
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    How do you figure Chicago is an underrated band? Back in the 70s, they were huge.

    FTR, hated them almost as much as Steely Dan. Decent musicians, but sappy songs and sound. Enough with the f**king horn solos.
    Man, you need to shut up.

  16. #176
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    LOL. Still have the Jimmy Pankow poster up on the wall.

    Maynard is one of my jazz trumpet heros (For me, Mangione was more jazz/pop.) . Probably the first musician from that genre that I recall playing in that insanely fast tempo and register. Generally, I don't dig horns in rock.
    I actually got to play with a few guys from Maynards band back in the 80s.

    My favorite trupitista is Miles Davis although Dizzy is considered technically better.

  17. #177
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Man, you need to shut up.
    Oh, okay. Bad horn solos.

    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I actually got to play with a few guys from Maynards band back in the 80s.

    My favorite trupitista is Miles Davis although Dizzy is considered technically better.
    Wow, what was that like?

  18. #178
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    21,950
    Post Thanks / Like

  19. #179
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Maynard James Keenan.
    Perfect Circle should have been HUGE. Great addition to the thread with Maynard, PK.

  20. #180
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    Ryan Adams. Dude is ridiculous. He is so prolific, he has tons of unreleased music and entire shelved albums. His demos are better than 90% of "finished" music today:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGrm...eature=related
    yes.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us