Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I've never even heard of him or his group believe it or not but I like that style of music. Can you recommend one Cd of his that I should get?
    RUN do not walk and pick up his solo debut "Heartbreaker" and then "Cold Roses" which is with his band, the Cardinals. I was never a fan of that country-tinged thing, but RA is SO bluesy, it almost sounds country. He's amazing quite frankly.

Here's all of his stuff with samples and reviews:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...ifexqujldke~T2

Click on the album name for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I own Gold, which includes the brilliant, "When the Stars Go Blue". The Coors also did a great cover of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT0cndgd1kM
    "Gold" is indeed great but it's also considered his shiny, over-produced, "breakout" record. That being said, there are a ton of great tunes on it, tunes he plays to this day and are considered RA classics.
    Last edited by RageATL; 07-23-2010 at 03:43 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin45 View Post
    Warren Haynes. Not sure if there is a better guitarist/singer/song writer post 1980. Allman Bros, Gov't Mule, the Dead and Phil & Friends is a pretty cool resume.

Here's a clip for Warfish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx9_Ouy7KZg
    A-FUKKIN-MEN, Gov't Mule is one of the finest, tightest bands working today and Warren Haynes is a beast on guitar. I'm going to see them open for Dave Matthews Band next Tuesday and catch The Mule every time they're in the ATL.

Might as well add Derek Trucks Band to this list, the guy is BEYOND phenomenal on guitar:

Coltrane's interpretation of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Favorite Things": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXbkJyFvjno

"Sahib Teri Bandi": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65cP...ext=1&index=10
    Last edited by RageATL; 07-23-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glen Tillbrook of Squeeze. A recent documentary shows him wailing acoustic on a Jimi Hendrix tune. His band's style of music never lent itself to many solos, but this guy can really play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Here's a guy you either love or hate...he grew on me over time.

If you have 9 minutes to waste, watch the way he segues into Danny Boy at the end of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os_GXKrnNxI
    Hornsby has always been one of my favorite musicians. I used to listen to "Scenes From The Southside" all the time. It reminds me of my childhood.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I'm sorry, but when the likes of Jack White, Kurt Cobain, Joni Mitchell and similar are considered better "Guitarists" than Gilmour.....there is indeed a problem of under-rating recognition.

Gilmour absolutely belongs in the Pantheon of G.O.A.T., right next to the Claptons, Pages and Becks. The fact that in many surverys/pollings he often ranks far belong, losing to players not even considered great guitarists at all (Cobain ffs? Joni "are you f'ing kidding me" Mitchell!?!?!) is an abomination of disrespect.
    David Gilmour is, in my opinion, the best lead guitarist ever.

But I wouldn't put him on an underrated list.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Where have you ever seen these polls? I've never heard of anyone saying that these guys are better guitarists than Gilmour.

Methinks maybe you're looking for something to underrate him. I think everyone realizes he's one of the greatest.
    You could check the one I linked earlier.

Or the Rolling Stone one discussed here a while back.

And how do you leave Hendrix, Santana, and Frusciante off a list of GOAT guitarists?
    Hendrix, absolutely. Santana to a lesser degree, but sure.

Frusciante? You kidding me? Thats exactly what I mean, to put Gilmour and The part-time-pepper-part-time-heroin-addict in the same building is an affront to Gilmour. Frusciante isn't fit to hold Gilmours pick, much less be consdiered one of the GOAT.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    David Gilmour is, in my opinion, the best lead guitarist ever.

But I wouldn't put him on an underrated list.
    Even Gilmour would tell you it's Jeff Beck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even Gilmour would tell you it's Jeff Beck.
    So would Clapton.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    So would Clapton.
    After watching Beck's legendary shows at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club (I posted a thread a while back), I realized that there really has been no one like him, including Clapton. Beck has two passions in life: Guitar and working on his cars. I love Clapton, BTW.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are vocalists "musicians?"

Always loved this guy's voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Uz-dPANDY

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ben Harper is a gifted singer/songwriter and guitar player. he smokes on the lap steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUpHZ...ext=1&index=54

(Song starts at about 1:20.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekd5L3a1s68

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    I always felt like the band Marillion were vastly underrated as musicians. They never really caught on here in the US, probably due to their lead singer/song writer Fish's tendency to write longer songs and concept albums which didn't fit the radio media's idea of hit songs. But they really were awesome musicians. They are still around, but Fish left the band and they are no longer the same.

Other vastly underrated guys are the King Crimson guys - Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, and Adrian Belew.

And journeyman Chester Thompson is probably the best drummer in the world that no one ever talks about.
    LOL, I love Chester. Phil Collins got a hold of him after he played with Frank Zappa for 4 years. Ralph Humphries is the most underrated musician,because he took Chester under his wing. Ralph could play like a jazz drummer with great touch, but he also could bring the monster paradiddles like Billy Cobham. I gathered all this from an excellent DVD with Humphries, Terry Bozzio, Chad Wackerman, Chester. "The Drummers of Frank Zappa".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    To say that David Gilmour is underrated is absolutely preposterous. He's rated right up there with one of the greatest of all time (and SHOULD be). And for the record, Jack White IS an underrated guitar player. The guy can tear it up.

Fish. C'mon man. Silly.

Harry Chapin. Vastly underrated. Most folks think that Cat Steven's wrote Cat's in the Cradle... or even worse Ugly Kid Joe. The guy was a brilliant songwriter.

Underrated guitar player: Peter White. The guy wrote some of the most beautiful and melodic guitar solos ever. Please listen to any early Al Stewart stuff. Brilliant.

A lot of people don't give Paul McCartney the credit for being as good a bass player as he is. His bass lines were impeccable.

Same thing with Phil Collins as a drummer. Even people in the know don't give him the credit he deserves as a drummer. His work on early Genesis stuff is remarkable.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    After watching Beck's legendary shows at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club (I posted a thread a while back), I realized that there really has been no one like him, including Clapton. Beck has two passions in life: Guitar and working on his cars. I love Clapton, BTW.
    Clapton sounds totally pedestrian compared to Beck; there is no comparison except for the Yardbirds stints.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Santana being underrated, and Beck is brilliant. A few of my underrated favorites, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Greg Howe, KimThayil from Soundgarden, Allan Holdsworth and Joe Satriani

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    To say that David Gilmour is underrated is absolutely preposterous. He's rated right up there with one of the greatest of all time (and SHOULD be). And for the record, Jack White IS an underrated guitar player. The guy can tear it up.

Fish. C'mon man. Silly.

Harry Chapin. Vastly underrated. Most folks think that Cat Steven's wrote Cat's in the Cradle... or even worse Ugly Kid Joe. The guy was a brilliant songwriter.

Underrated guitar player: Peter White. The guy wrote some of the most beautiful and melodic guitar solos ever. Please listen to any early Al Stewart stuff. Brilliant.

A lot of people don't give Paul McCartney the credit for being as good a bass player as he is. His bass lines were impeccable.

Same thing with Phil Collins as a drummer. Even people in the know don't give him the credit he deserves as a drummer. His work on early Genesis stuff is remarkable.
    How about Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac? That's one bad a$$ blues and rock player most folks have never heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2...eature=related

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el_dub80 View Post
    I agree with Santana being underrated, and Beck is brilliant. A few of my underrated favorites, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Greg Howe, KimThayil from Soundgarden, Allan Holdsworth and Joe Satriani
    How in the world are these guys underrated??!?!

For crying out loud, each of them has a "Signature" guitar from a major guitar company!!!

Please use the word "underrated" properly, guys.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac? That's one bad a$$ blues and rock player most folks have never heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtmW2...eature=related

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    You could check the one I linked earlier.

Or the Rolling Stone one discussed here a while back.
    Ok well that's plain stupidity so you can either take every single random opinion into consideration, or you can look at it overall. Overall, Gilmour is not at all underrated. Please stop with that.

Frusciante? You kidding me? Thats exactly what I mean, to put Gilmour and The part-time-pepper-part-time-heroin-addict in the same building is an affront to Gilmour. Frusciante isn't fit to hold Gilmours pick, much less be consdiered one of the GOAT.
    My company restricts youtube, and my computer at home has been out of commission for the past week, so I can't post links for you right now. But PLEASE youtube Frusciante's guitar work. For your own sake.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 07-23-2010 at 04:50 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    How in the world are these guys underrated??!?!

For crying out loud, each of them has a "Signature" guitar from a major guitar company!!!

Please use the word "underrated" properly, guys.
    Lol, seriously? Most people couldn't name 5 songs from these cats or even 3 of their albums. THAT's how they're underrated. You think most clowns would know Satch has got a signature Ibanez guitar? Not only that, they don't get enough credit for their playing