Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    Riot was awesome and Forrester had a great voice, but I'm taking the Esperanza and Moore lineups over this one. Better songs, better production. Give Reale's great Westworld a listen if you haven't yet.
    Oh i love guy as well......just thought the restless breed would be a more mainstream intro to riot for those who dont know

is he dead too? i know the guitarist died recently

Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    Blind Melon is the only 90s band I listen to much nowadays. Soup is one of the 5 best albums of the 90s, and Mouthful of Cavities is one of the top 5 songs of that era, IMO. Hoon was extraordinary and had a great writing partnership with Chris, the bass player.
    theres only 2 guys in this world with totally original and superior tone in their pipes. One is peter gabriel, the other was Hoon

nope. guy sperenza is dead too. from ny rock star to florida exterminator

Guy Speranza (born March 12, 1956 - November 8, 2003 in Orlando, Florida) was an American singer best known as New York-based metal band Riot's original frontman from 1976-1981.

He played at the first Monsters of Rock festival in 1980 and sang on their first three albums, 1977's Rock City, 1979's Narita and 1981's Fire Down Under, before leaving the band in 1981.

After retiring from music, Speranza worked as an exterminator in Florida until being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, from which he died on November 8, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    nope. guy sperenza is dead too. from ny rock star to florida exterminator

Guy Speranza (born March 12, 1956 - November 8, 2003 in Orlando, Florida) was an American singer best known as New York-based metal band Riot's original frontman from 1976-1981.

He played at the first Monsters of Rock festival in 1980 and sang on their first three albums, 1977's Rock City, 1979's Narita and 1981's Fire Down Under, before leaving the band in 1981.

After retiring from music, Speranza worked as an exterminator in Florida until being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, from which he died on November 8, 2003
    Rock star in NYC --> Exterminator in Orlando --> Pancreatic Cancer patient

And right there you have the entire spectrum of human existence.

Yesterday, I watched a few minutes of a recent concert featuring Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Two band members who merit inclusion in this thread are guitarist Mike Campbell and multi-instrumentalist Benmont Tench. Both guys are incredible skilled musicians who have been playing on a high level for decades.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Yesterday, I watched a few minutes of a recent concert featuring Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Two band members who merit inclusion in this thread are guitarist Mike Campbell and multi-instrumentalist Benmont Tench. Both guys are incredible skilled musicians who have been playing on a high level for decades.
    +1!

Played bass for some good players (hackaroos) this past weekend, and in order to get my hands on the host's Les Paul (nice mid-80's model; through his Marshall JCM ) I started babbling about how Mike Campbell uses major and minor triads to set up those great classic licks, blah blah blah. I got to play Running down a dream and then 25 Or 6 To Four and some other tunes. The drummer was very good and hopefully I can get my sphere of influence to the point where I can play every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    +1!

Played bass for some good players (hackaroos) this past weekend, and in order to get my hands on the host's Les Paul (nice mid-80's model; through his Marshall JCM ) I started babbling about how Mike Campbell uses major and minor triads to set up those great classic licks, blah blah blah. I got to play Running down a dream and then 25 Or 6 To Four and some other tunes. The drummer was very good and hopefully I can get my sphere of influence to the point where I can play every weekend.
    Sounds like so much fun. Can't remember the last time I jammed with anyone. Enjoy the music making, WCO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Sounds like so much fun. Can't remember the last time I jammed with anyone.
    Lets get the banned back together!

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Lets get the banned back together!

-
    LOL. Hey, and I just got a new acoustic. We'll do "Pinball Wizard" as an opener.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

LOL. Hey, and I just got a new acoustic. We'll do "Pinball Wizard" as an opener.
    I can almost hear the groans!

-

-
    No doubt I f**k up the intro.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

No doubt I f**k up the intro.

If you havent been keeping those bar-chord and strumming muscles in shape, that could be a tricky one.

WHy not just do a little Eruption into Ah Via Musicom.

-
    Last edited by 32green; 12-10-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Playing "East Wes" (with rolling thunder!) is on my wish list.

Bewildered Beast

-
    Let's call ourselves "Aww Crap!" so nobody is really sure if they are booing or cheering us on!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Let's call ourselves "Aww Crap!" so nobody is really sure if they are booing or cheering us on!
    Lmao!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

So my 16 year old kid's band has their first gig at "Amityville Bar" in some battle of the bands. He's the drummer. They have original songs they're going to play. 4 decades of playing tennis racquet guitar with my headphones on imagining I'm a rock star, and this kid goes out and gets himself a gig. I could probably still kick his azz. But I'm not sure.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    So my 16 year old kid's band has their first gig at "Amityville Bar" in some battle of the bands. He's the drummer. They have original songs they're going to play. 4 decades of playing tennis racquet guitar with my headphones on imagining I'm a rock star, and this kid goes out and gets himself a gig. I could probably still kick his azz. But I'm not sure.
    Hampur reunion.

-

Veteran
    Even Gilmour would tell you it's Jeff Beck.
    And Beck would tell you it's Les Paul.
    Last edited by ubrnostrum; 12-10-2012 at 10:43 PM.

LOL. I can just imagine the audience, brought to the brink of delirium, chanting, "Crap! Crap! Crap!".

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Awesome. Did the battle already take place? If so, how'd they (he) do?

Hampur reunion.

-
    They get billed as the opening act or I walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    And Beck would tell you it's Les Paul.
    No doubt, Beck respected Les Paul both as a musician and his pioneering work electrifying the guitar.