Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 273

Thread: UNDERRATED MUSICIANS

  1. #181
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like

  2. #182
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like

  3. #183
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like

  4. #184
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Duh. Steve Hackett.
    Check out Hackett's solo (approx. 4:09 in the video below) in this classic bit of Genesis genius. Thought EVH came up with that technique.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35wtfcByIY

  5. #185
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Players who appear average but are way above average..

    Paul McCartney.
    Paul Simon
    DAve Matthews

  6. #186
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Check out Hackett's solo (approx. 4:09 in the video below) in this classic bit of Genesis genius. Thought EVH came up with that technique.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35wtfcByIY
    EVH? this thread is for the underrateds, not the overrateds.

  7. #187
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zappa's guitar virtuosity is always overlooked. Everyone is in a rush to be offended by his lyrics. Here he is with the previously mentioned Terry Bozzio, and Adrian Belew in a minor role:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSBR7eHL_I

  8. #188
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of more in the Ryan Adams style, but very underrated IMO. Great voice and songwriter:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqHW0s4gKo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDOcbMic6mI

  9. #189
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Jerry Gaskill's drumming in this live clip. No doubt, the average rock fan has no idea his identity or talent. What a monster groover and human metronome.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a282ar709NE

  10. #190
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Check out Jerry Gaskill's drumming in this live clip. No doubt, the average rock fan has no idea his identity or talent. What a monster groover and human metronome.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a282ar709NE

  11. #191
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    15,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    May break my retirement for Reverend Horton Heat tomorrow. Irving Plaza is an awful venue tho.

  12. #192
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Zappa's guitar virtuosity is always overlooked. Everyone is in a rush to be offended by his lyrics. Here he is with the previously mentioned Terry Bozzio, and Adrian Belew in a minor role:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSBR7eHL_I
    I was there; FZ's pedalboard wasn't happening, so he threw the solo to Adrien Belew. AB was playing the Hendrix strat, so he just bent the living hell out of that thing; one of my favorite live moments ever.

  13. #193
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Kind of more in the Ryan Adams style, but very underrated IMO. Great voice and songwriter:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvqHW0s4gKo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDOcbMic6mI
    +1. was going to post Amos. Just didn't get around to it.

  14. #194
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I mean, that's a friggin' clinic. And is there a tighter outfit than those three? Doubt it.

    Click on any King's X live performance and they just cook. Phenomenal musicianship. Gaskill belongs in the 70s with Bonham and Moon.

  15. #195
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy
    I mean, that's a friggin' clinic. And is there a tighter outfit than those three? Doubt it.
    For me, it doesn't get any tighter than the disco outfit Chic in their prime and the first 30 seconds of Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Something off the MJ Thriller album (seriously, give those two intros a fresh listen if you have any doubts). But these guys absolutely deserve to be on the short list as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy
    Click on any King's X live performance and they just cook. Phenomenal musicianship. Gaskill belongs in the 70s with Bonham and Moon.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by AFCEastFan; 11-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.

  16. #196
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    For me, it doesn't get any tighter than the disco outfit Chic in their prime and the first 30 seconds of Billie Jean and Wanna Be Startin' Something off the MJ Thriller album (seriously, give those two intros a fresh listen if you have any doubts). But these guys absolutely deserve to be on the short list as well.



    Couldn't agree more.
    Tony Thompson. 'Nuff said.

  17. #197
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Tony Thompson. 'Nuff said.
    I think I've mentioned before that he is my favorite drummer of all time, so I admit I may be a bit biased re Chic.

  18. #198
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    8,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keith Moon

  19. #199
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Check out Jerry Gaskill's drumming in this live clip. No doubt, the average rock fan has no idea his identity or talent. What a monster groover and human metronome.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a282ar709NE
    Holy smokes; you got 'em rocking over here!

    I love these guys!

  20. #200
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us