Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yankees made big offer for Joakim Soria

Yankees made big offer for Joakim Soria

1. Yankees: They say they want a bat for the bench and bullpen help, and that is true. But they can't resist big-game hunting. They tried hard for Lee and Haren, and made a big proposal for Royals closer Joakim Soria, as well. They also have been in touch with the Nationals about big-time power hitter Adam Dunn but so far found the price prohibitive. With Andy Pettitte on the shelf with a groin issue, the Yankees wouldn't mind upgrading their rotation, but they aren't pursuing lifetime National Leaguer Oswalt, who's always been an Astro. As for the offense, the Yankees are pondering hitters like Baltimore's Ty Wigginton, Cleveland's Jhonny Peralta and Florida's Cody Ross.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0ukr2o4or

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to get Soria. I wonder what the Yankees were offering and if talks are still on going. Soria and Mo at the back end of our bullpen would be amazing. And we would also have our future closer.

After seeing Joba's slop earlier today, I doubt they have any interest is Joba.

Yeah I am really hoping we can get him, only 26 years old and is great. Joba has like a 6 ERA now as our 8th inning man, hes garbage and can't be relied on, needs to be in the minors to work out his issues. 2 lights out RP like Mo and Soria in our pen? Make me feel real good!

Joba is getting unlucky, but he is certainly very frustrating. I just don't see why the Royals would trade Soria given his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Joba is getting unlucky, but he is certainly very frustrating. I just don't see why the Royals would trade Soria given his contract.
    Well.. what do they need a closer for? They need position players and starting pitchers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Joba is getting unlucky,
    Unlucky my arse.

He's a pos as a human, and he is an undisciplined farkwhad as an athlete.

I put that on the Coaches and the Yankee vets btw.....

Banned
    I'd hate to see the Yankees land Soria. He's only 26 and after 4 years in the league, his era is 2.12... Sick!

If the Yankees do land Soria, I hope they HAVE TO give up Montero.

Something just seems like a bad idea about putting guy with Social Anxiety Disorder (Grienke) on the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Or how bout this ...

Jesus Montero, Ivan Nova, Joba Chamberlain and Delin Belitances <sp?> for Soria and Greinke

Would you do it?

Would the Royals?
    no

I'm not a doctor, so I can't really sit here and say how it would affect him for sure (And I'm not even sure they can say), but if he was having social anxiety issues in Kansas City, I can't imagine moving to the pressure cooker that is NY baseball would be a good thing for him, either personally, or professionally.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I'm not a doctor, so I can't really sit here and say how it would affect him for sure (And I'm not even sure they can say), but if he was having social anxiety issues in Kansas City, I can't imagine moving to the pressure cooker that is NY baseball would be a good thing for him, either personally, or professionally.
    I just don't see Grienke as a good fit for the Yankees. The kid will be overwehlmed by the city and expectations. Just thinking about him with the Yankees gives me images of him in a fetal position at his locker before a game. Some guys can't play in NY and for the Yankees, and I think he's one of them

Banned
    Or how bout this ...

Jesus Montero, Ivan Nova, Joba Chamberlain and Delin Belitances <sp?> for Soria and Greinke

Would you do it?

Would the Royals?
    No way in hell could that package get it done.

Both of these guys are proven MLB stars HAM, and Greinke is a former Cy Young award winner right?

Think about it: Joba is no longer a top prospect as in years past, he's more of a risk if anything.

Jesus Montero is a top prospect but thats just it; a prospect. Has never made an impact here in the Majors. Greinke and Soria? They've made huge impacts already.

Throwing Nova in the deal won't even come close to getting the deal done and to be honest, I've never heard of the other guy.

It would take a HUGE package to get those two guys from the Royals, if not... Every team in Baseball would be going after a #1 Ace and Closer for cheap.

It would take at least Phil Hughes, Jesus Montero and Curtis Granderson to get those two guys from KC. Hughes is a proven talent, but not even close to being as proven as Greinke. It would take an A+ Prospect, plus a B- type of player to get one of the best bullpen pitchers in the game today. Thats where Montero and Granderson come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Throwing Nova in the deal won't even come close to getting the deal done and to be honest, I've never heard of the other guy.
    If you never heard of him, how would know if he wouldn't get the deal done?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-26-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Please explain to me how an inability to locate your pitches qualifies as "unlucky"

Anyway, Greinke aside, does anyone think this package gets Soria?

Would you (Yankee fans) do it?

Would the Royals?
    Yes, I think that would get him and no, I would absolutely not make that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Please explain to me how an inability to locate your pitches qualifies as "unlucky"
    All I'm saying is his numbers should not translate into a 5.95 ERA. Any reliever with a K/9 of 9.99 and a K/BB of 2.77, along with a G/F of .95 shouldn't have an ERA that high. He could help himself by walking less, but either way he is 100% unlucky to have an ERA of 5.95.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...unn-lilly.html

The Yankees dangled Jesus Montero in talks for Joakim Soria, reports ESPN's Jayson Stark, but the Royals weren't interested.

All Pro
    Dayton Moore is so horrible. You dont need a young power hitter but you need a closer for a team that is going to win 75 games until Soria hits the marker....unreal

If I were the Royals I would a accept a Jesus Montero for Joakim Soria deal, I mean they are a terrible team and having a great closer doesn't really help much when you have holes all over the place. Great closer is about the last piece a team needs once you have the other pieces in place to get that lead in the 9th inning to have a guy close it down.

Jesus Montero could be a elite hitter one day in the majors, that is way more valuable than a closer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Like I said... It's going to take more from the Yankees, than just a top prospect to land Soria; One of the best closers in the game today.