Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food department: what is the most unusual meal you ever had?

Food department: what is the most unusual meal you ever had?

South Korea: Kegogi or also known as dog meat

Puerto Rico: Frog legs

Jets Insider VIP
    Veal brains
    Cow tongue
    Horse meat
    Frog Legs
    Tripes of all sorts

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3657763]Veal brains
    Cow tongue
    Horse meat
    Frog Legs
    Tripes of all sorts[/QUOTE]

I forgot pig brains...gross.

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3657763]Veal brains
    Cow tongue
    Horse meat
    Frog Legs
    Tripes of all sorts[/QUOTE]

I never tried horse meat, but my ex always mentioned it and she stated it was pretty good. Do you?

All League
    sushi...from a fish that was still alive

Veteran
    [QUOTE=82nd Airborne;3657766]I never tried horse meat, but my ex always mentioned it and she stated it was pretty good. Do you?[/QUOTE]

It's great. It's like really good beef.

Other than horse meat:

Ostich
    Alligator meat
    Cow tongue (it's not very unusual over here BTW)
    Veal brains
    Tripe
    Boiled sheep's head
    Kokorec (another very common Turkish fast food made from intestines of sheep)

Come to think of it from a Turkish point of view only Ostrich and Alligator meat can be considered unusual...

Edit: Snails
    Last edited by The Turk; 07-28-2010 at 07:44 AM.

[QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;3657778]sushi...from a fish that was still alive[/QUOTE]

Are you a grizzly?

[QUOTE=The Turk;3657803]It's great. It's like really good beef.

Other than horse meat:

Ostich
    Alligator meat
    Veal brains
    Tripe
    Boiled sheep's head
    Kokorec (another very common Turkish fast food made from intestines of sheep)[/QUOTE]

Cow tongue, yes I had to. I heard alligator meat is good, boiled sheep's head? wow... not the brains?

Jets Insider VIP
    I had alligator and it was actually rather good. It was in a Cajun restaurant. I know it's cliche but it did taste a lot like chicken.

[QUOTE=crossfire;3657813]I had alligator and it was actually rather good. It was in a Cajun restaurant. I know it's cliche but it did taste a lot like chicken.[/QUOTE]

That's what I hear all the time, chicken. I wonder how long they boil the meat to tenderize it. I imagine the meat has to be really tough.

For my job I'm occasionally required to do fieldwork in Papua New Guinea. The first time I was their I ate what I later learned to be powdered cassowary (a type of emu) foot over noodles made out of sago palm pith, which is extremely poisonous if not prepped correctly. After that I made a conscious decision to pack a crate of mac and cheese.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3657803]It's great. It's like really good beef.

Other than horse meat:

[B]Ostich[/B]
    Alligator meat
    Veal brains
    Tripe
    Boiled sheep's head
    Kokorec (another very common Turkish fast food made from intestines of sheep)

Come to think of it from a Turkish point of view only Ostrich and Alligator meat can be considered unusual...

Edit: Snails[/QUOTE]

Ostrich is surprisingly good meat.

I also had octopus as a tapas in Spain.

I admit I've never gone for the pig's head or pig's foot. It's a traditional dish here.

[QUOTE=hamburglar;3657821]For my job I'm occasionally required to do fieldwork in Papua New Guinea. The first time I was their I ate what I later learned to be powdered cassowary (a type of emu) foot over noodles made out of sago palm pith, which is extremely poisonous if not prepped correctly. After that I made a conscious decision to pack a crate of mac and cheese.[/QUOTE]

You are nuts! Did it taste good?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;3657821]For my job I'm occasionally required to do [B]fieldwork in Papua New Guinea[/B].[/QUOTE]

Ummm...you REALLY have to explain this.... :D

Veteran
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3657824]Ostrich is surprisingly good meat.

[B]I also had octopus as a tapas in Spain.[/B]

I admit I've never gone for the pig's head or pig's foot. It's a traditional dish here.[/QUOTE]

I didn't list octopus because didn't think it would be considered unusual. It's very common here, it can be stewed, prepared as a salad - which is my favorite- or grilled.

I didn't know you guys didn't eat octopus. wow.

Well.....I had this plane crash in the Andes.....

Haggis.

[QUOTE]Haggis is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.[/QUOTE]

Black Pudding.

[QUOTE]Black pudding or blood pudding is a type of sausage made by cooking blood or dried blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. It is also called blood sausage[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Warfish; 07-28-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3657981]
    Black Pudding.
    [QUOTE]Black pudding or blood pudding is a type of sausage made by cooking blood or dried blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. It is also called blood sausage [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

:drool:

:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=hamburglar;3657821]For my job I'm occasionally required to do fieldwork in Papua New Guinea. The first time I was their I ate what I later learned to be powdered cassowary (a type of emu) foot over noodles made out of sago palm pith, which is extremely poisonous if not prepped correctly. After that I made a conscious decision to pack a crate of mac and cheese.[/QUOTE]

I have a friend that lives in PNG. Port Moresby was recently voted the most dangerous city on the planet.

Jets Insider VIP
    armadillo chili in Florida.

I would have guessed Texas.