Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Astros and Philllies have a deal, waiting for Oswalt to waive NTC

Astros and Philllies have a deal, waiting for Oswalt to waive NTC

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...de-to-phillies

Houston - Major League baseball sources told FOX 26 Sports the Houston Astros have a deal in place to trade pitcher Roy Oswalt to the Philadelphia Phillies if Oswalt agrees to waive his no-trade clause.

Sources told FOX 26 the Astros have approached Oswalt. He is aware of the deal that is on the table and the club is waiting for his response.

MLB sources told FOX 26 the Astros and Phillies have agreed on the amount of money Houston will take back in the deal and the two teams have agreed on the players Philadelphia will be sending.
    Ruben Amaro is an idiot, why did he trade Cliff Lee? Halladay and Lee is better than Halladay and Oswalt.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-29-2010 at 01:42 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Who are the Phillies sending to Houston
    Happ and prospects

am i remembering it wrong, but didnt the phillies get Halladay by trading Lee in a 3-team with Seattle?

All Pro
    I should have become a GM....SERIOUSLY. I think I know more about the game than some of these GM's.

Having Lee and Halliday at the top of your rotation would have been like Schilling & Johnson 2001 D'Backs.

Who are the Phillies sending to Houston
    Prospects.. and probably J.A. Happ

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    am i remembering it wrong, but didnt the phillies get Halladay by trading Lee in a 3-team with Seattle?
    no they shipped Lee out the same day though to Seatlle for prospects to replace the ones they lost in the Halladay deal.

Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post
    Yes, but it could of easily been a 2 team trade between Toronto and Philadelphia. But Amaro's reasoning for dealing Lee to Seattle is because he couldn't afford both Halladay and Lee, ....well than why the hell is he taking on Oswalts bloated contract?

You know Victorino went on the DL and they brought up Domonic Brown, but its not believed to be serious and Victorino fegures to return when his DL stint ends in 15 days.

Reason I mention this, do you think the Phillies will still deal Jayson Werth before the deadline, or do you think the Victorino injury changes that?
    Sorry Ham, but Werth is off the market. That was reported by a few people today.

All Pro
    You know Victorino went on the DL and they brought up Domonic Brown, but its not believed to be serious and Victorino fegures to return when his DL stint ends in 15 days.

Reason I mention this, do you think the Phillies will still deal Jayson Werth before the deadline, or do you think the Victorino injury changes that?
    theyre just gonna take the pics

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    no they shipped Lee out the same day though to Seatlle for prospects to replace the ones they lost in the Halladay deal.
    oh ok thanks...

but wow Halladay and Lee would be absolutely unstoppable in a playoff series

Oswalt's a good pitcher and all, but wasnt Happ the prospect Philly wouldnt put into a Halladay deal last summer? It seems like the Phils are desperate, Cashman should call to try and snag Ryan Howard-Werth-Rollins for Joba

lol
    That Howard contract is going to be absolutely horrible in a few years.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...de-to-phillies

Ruben Amaro is an idiot, why did he trade Cliff Lee? Halladay and Lee is better than Halladay and Oswalt.

Um…

The Phillies are injured and desperate to win the NL east.

Lee said all along he will go free agent

Oswalt is owed $ 12 million per year thru 2012 and Lee is going to get $16 to 20 million for 5 years. That is a large difference.

Couple thoughts

1) He might legitimately not waive his NTC. By all accounts hes as genuine of a country boy as there is in the majors and he has a legitimate hatred of east coast cities. Combined with the constant negative pressure of sports in Philly, he probably isnt assured of waiving it.

2) The Phils cant take on his contract, Houston will be paying a large portion of it, so I imagine that the phillies gave up a haul of prospects. If thats the case, then they might have overpaid, since Oswalt is a FB pitcher going to a bandbox.

Certainly a move that shows a commitment to winning, lets wait and see if its also a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Um…

The Phillies are injured and desperate to win the NL east.

Lee said all along he will go free agent

Oswalt is owed $ 12 million per year thru 2012 and Lee is going to get $16 to 20 million for 5 years. That is a large difference.
    Ummm... they could of had Lee for this year at a measly $8 million

Now they'll be stuck with Oswalts crap contract, who made $15 million this year, $16 million next year, and a $16 milion club option for 2012, which he might force the Phillies to pick up to waive his NTC.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Source: Oswalt plans to OK trade

By Jayson Stark
    ESPN.com

Roy Oswalt plans to accept his proposed trade to the Philadelphia Phillies, a baseball source who has spoken with Oswalt's camp told ESPN.com Thursday.

Oswalt hasn't officially waived his no-trade clause to OK the deal, the source said. But after considering his options and speaking with friends familiar with the Phillies' situation, the source said the Houston Astros right-hander is prepared to go to Philadelphia.

It was not immediately clear if the Phillies or Astros offered any financial incentives for Oswalt to drop his trade veto rights. The Astros will pay $11 million of the approximately $23 million that the 32-year-old right-hander has guaranteed through 2011, sources said.

In return for Oswalt, the Astros would get back left-handed starter J.A. Happ and two prospects, according to sources.

While the Phillies prospects have not been identified, sources said the Astros have pressed hard for first baseman Jonathan Singleton, considered the team's best minor-league hitting prospect. Singleton is currently at Class A Lakewood in the South Atlantic League, where he was hitting .312 with 18 doubles and 12 home runs as of Thursday.

The agreement on trade terms was first reported by KRIV-TV in Houston.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...r_espn_5420095

Banned
    Great news for the AL East. I was never worried about Dan Haren going to New York, I actually wanted the Yankees to give up a top prospect such as a Jesus Montero. As far as Roy Oswalt goes, as a Rays fan, I'm glad the Yankees didn't land Roy. I was worried about that happening. A 1-2 punch of Sabathia and Oswalt could have been too much to handle.

Yankees-Rays
    Phillies-Cards.

Lets just skip to the ALCS-NLCS already.

Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Great news for the AL East. I was never worried about Dan Haren going to New York, I actually wanted the Yankees to give up a top prospect such as a Jesus Montero. As far as Roy Oswalt goes, as a Rays fan, I'm glad the Yankees didn't land Roy. I was worried about that happening. A 1-2 punch of Sabathia and Oswalt could have been too much to handle.
    Yankees didn't show interest in Roy Oswalt

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    Yankees-Rays
    Phillies-Cards.

Lets just skip to the ALCS-NLCS already.
    Rangers are very capable of being in the ALCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Rangers are very capable of being in the ALCS.
    Honestly, your right, completely forgot.

Thats why I think taking the division is important, because I don't want to face them in a best of 5 if we don't have too.