Thread: Angels could becme sellers

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Angels could become sellers, Matsui anyone?

Anyone want Matsui back?

Angels Could Become Sellers
    By Tim Dierkes [July 29 at 10:39am CST]

Though they've acquired Dan Haren and Alberto Callaspo this month and inquired on Prince Fielder and Derrek Lee, the Angels may become sellers in the wake of Joel Pineiro's rib-cage strain yesterday. The injury will knock the righty out for six to eight weeks, writes Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times, and GM Tony Reagins is now open to trading veterans for prospects.

DiGiovanna speculates that Bobby Abreu, Brian Fuentes, Hideki Matsui, and Maicer Izturis might interest contenders. Abreu, Fuentes, and Matsui would be tough to move, and could be August trade candidates. Abreu is signed at $9MM for next year and may have another $9MM salary vest for 2012. The 36-year-old is hitting just .253/.347/.416. Fuentes' strikeout rate is back up, but he's been homer-prone and has over $3MM left on his contract. Matsui's market is limited by his DH profile, though he has tallied 122 innings in left field this year. He's been streaky this year, with his best work coming in April and June.

Despite an offensive downturn this year, Izturis should generate interest given his ability to play all around the infield. He's signed through 2012.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 07-29-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As predicted before the season, he's a player in decline, though I think he could sill help us.

.251 AVG
    .332 OBP
    422 SLG
    .755 OPS
    14 HR
    55 RBI

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'd help as the DH, since we don't have one, but I'd like to do better than that if we go in the complete DH direction.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matsui would be cheap to get, if they are trading off I would love bringing him back to help us win another title, he is clutch and knows how to get it done here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Matsui would be cheap to get, if they are trading off I would love bringing him back to help us win another title, he is clutch and knows how to get it done here.
    That would be very comforting, having him coming off the bench again.

Game 6, baby. An assassin.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to have Matsui back. I was hoping before the Angels played Texas that they would fade and become sellers. Matsui has hit when he has played at Yankee Stadium. He doesn't have to play everyday and will only be a DH. Matsui also kills lefties. We can get him cheap. Make it happen Cashman.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FYtheSG View Post
    I would love to have Matsui back. I was hoping before the Angels played Texas that they would fade and become sellers. Matsui has hit when he has played at Yankee Stadium. He doesn't have to play everyday and will only be a DH. Matsui also kills lefties. We can get him cheap. Make it happen Cashman.
    +1. If we can't get Dunn then get Godzilla back!!!! Imagine him in the 6 hole behind Cano.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one who would want Fuentes the most out of those players?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has Matsui remained healthy this year?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Has Matsui remained healthy this year?
    He has played in 96 games with 334 at bats. The Angels have also used him some in LF.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...atsuhi01.shtml

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    Yea, Fuentes STINKS.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Yea, Fuentes STINKS.
    He isn't great, but I would not say he stinks. With Marte on the DL, and him not having to close. If he could be acquired for a reasonable price, JMO I think it would be a decent move.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FYtheSG View Post
    Not this year.

Matsui vs LHP: 109 at bats .183 AVG/ .217 OBP/ .358 SLG/ .575 OPS

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post

Fuentes may be a little up there in age, but he'd be a player that could take any solid bullpen over the top.

Our of all the Angel players, my #1 pick would be for Jered Weaver. 27 year old ace who has great stuff.

But I do understand what your saying... That team lacks major talent as of right now. I'd assume thats why their only a .500 type of team right now.

Everyone always talks about how the Angels always make a move before the trade deadline, well, they don't always make good ones. Kazmir is the perfect example. Kazmir is 7-9 with an era pushing 7 this season. The Rays front office knew Kazmir was done, and done for life. Why the Angels gave the Rays a GREAT 2B prospect in Sean-Rod is beyond me. The Rays also commited highway robbery for left-hander Alex Torres and infielder Matt Sweeney during that Kazmir deal. Both really good prospects.

If I'm a fan of a team looking to make a deal with the Angels... I want some of those minor league prospects they have, because it's obvious they have no idea what the hell their doing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Yea, Fuentes STINKS.
    Since when does having a 3-1 record, 18 saves, 3.86 era with a WHIP of 1.22 "Stink" as a bullpen pitcher? Also has a 2.6 K to walk ratio.